The Student Room Group

IGCSE matters?

hi all. i've been wondering for the past few weeks if igcse results really matter in ucas application. my igcse results are awful since our school turned into non-exam route due to covid. what i've got is 9,9,8,8,A*,A,A,B,B,B when i was "expected" to get 9,9,9,9,A*,A*,A*,A,A,A.

will this impact me a lot with the application (especially places like cambridge, icl, ucl) when my predicted grade is 44 (IB)?
Original post by lifesohard
hi all. i've been wondering for the past few weeks if igcse results really matter in ucas application. my igcse results are awful since our school turned into non-exam route due to covid. what i've got is 9,9,8,8,A*,A,A,B,B,B when i was "expected" to get 9,9,9,9,A*,A*,A*,A,A,A.

will this impact me a lot with the application (especially places like cambridge, icl, ucl) when my predicted grade is 44 (IB)?

Probably not.
Reply 2

Not sure about the IB predicted grade (no experience with it) but it seems to me that those are still good GCSE results. Cambridge especially places a lot of value on interviews and Personal Statements and less on GCSEs then places like Oxford, so personally I'd have thought you'd be fine to apply to them. Obviously it's not guaranteed to get into Oxbridge anyway though, even if you're straight A*s, its that passion they look for.
In short though, would have thought that you're iGCSEs would be fine. Incidentally though, do they match what you want to do at university? For example, if you're planning on a Maths degree and got 9 at Maths GCSE, that's definitely good.
Best of luck :biggrin:

Look at universities that do not look at you GCSE results as much such as newcastle, oxford, etc.

https://lifeofamedic.com/portfolio/askamedstudent-do-you-know-which-med-schools-dont-place-an-emphasis-on-gsce-grades/

I would also recommend you look for some work experience in a hospital or online, Southampton University have an online work experience:

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/schools-colleges/medical-work-experience.page

https://app.medify.co.uk/experiences-map?_gl=1*vwde05*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE2OTg2NTg4NzMuQ2owS0NRandxUDJwQmhETUFSSXNBSlEwQ3pvX21CTm43R3l1MGNTc2RzQXlwU285NldsOERGUDZTckVUdHRqMTFqUng5UVVfM0ItTERGc2FBZ0JTRUFMd193Y0I.*_gcl_au*MTA4NTE5ODk2OC4xNjk4NDM3NzMz&_ga=2.180223844.153651722.1698658874-63321822.1698186691&_gac=1.23911880.1698658874.Cj0KCQjwqP2pBhDMARIsAJQ0Czo_mBNn7Gyu0cSsdsAypSo96Wl8DFP6SrETttj11jRx9QU_3B-LDFsaAgBSEALw_wcB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending