The Student Room Group

I want to learn paper 1 topics for my mocks in a single day. How do I do it?

I want to learn paper one topics in a single day but without the use of past papers if necessary for mocks this week. Does anyone have any tips (for any subject)? Thank you.
Original post by blahblah0101
I want to learn paper one topics in a single day but without the use of past papers if necessary for mocks this week. Does anyone have any tips (for any subject)? Thank you.

Most GCSEs contain two papers, so by targeting paper one you're targeting half the GCSE course. GCSEs are two-year courses, so you'd (roughly) cover half the course (one paper) each year. You're therefore trying to learn one years' worth of topics one day. That's an entirely unreasonable expectation, unfortunately.

Also, the fact that you've said you looking for tips on how to do this "for any subject" suggests that you plan to try this approach for every subject. It's just not going to happen. You need to put way more effort in than that. Sorry.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Most GCSEs contain two papers, so by targeting paper one you're targeting half the GCSE course. GCSEs are two-year courses, so you'd (roughly) cover half the course (one paper) each year. You're therefore trying to learn one years' worth of topics one day. That's an entirely unreasonable expectation, unfortunately.

Also, the fact that you've said you looking for tips on how to do this "for any subject" suggests that you plan to try this approach for every subject. It's just not going to happen. You need to put way more effort in than that. Sorry.

Nothing’s impossible though :wink:
Nothing’s impossible though :wink:

I applaud your confidence, however misplaced.

Like @DataVenia said, it's a huge workload you're trying to complete in the space of one day - even if it's just for one subject, it's a LOT. If you're trying to complete paper one topics for every subject, perhaps you should have started earlier - but I'd recommend focusing only on the subjects you have this week so you can maximise your revision.

Go through the revision resources you have made for yourself (flashcards/compilations of questions/previous exam-style questions) and if you're not able to recall or understand a certain topic, spend a bit more time on it. This method won't work for ALL subjects, but should be sufficient enough for maths or geography or maybe science subjects. For essay subjects, the best way you can improve is by actively recalling key quotes + attempting exam-style questions (there's a website called MarkMyGCSE from edumentors and it can mark your gcse essays but it's only for past papers).

Good luck for mocks!

Quick Reply

Latest