The Student Room Group

Does doing Further Maths A lvl in a gap year put you at a disadvantage?

I am thinking of doing a gap year and doing further maths, some volunteering/charity work as well as helping econ maths teachers at my school(the one I’ll leave as it’s something that my school sometimes offers to gap year students). I want to apply to either econ or maths.
So i wanted to know if someone who did something similar managed to get offers from places like Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial etc who usually ask for FM and if students who do FM in gap year are disadvantaged or if it doesn’t matter.
It's a good way to spend a gap year, especially if you weren't - for whatever reason - able to do Further Maths beforehand or realised its benefit too late.
Reply 2
Original post by melancollege
It's a good way to spend a gap year, especially if you weren't - for whatever reason - able to do Further Maths beforehand or realised its benefit too late.

Yh realised it was useful way too late just unsure on admission data on how they’d see 3 achieved + one predicted for example
Someone on TSR previously asked Imperial about this for maths and they had no problem with it. I suspect Oxbridge wouldn't have an issue with it for maths either.

LSE doesn't have a single honours maths course and its maths department mainly furnishes supporting courses for other degrees so if your primary interest is maths I wouldn't really focus on that. UCL has quite limited options in latter years of the maths course and there are stronger courses elsewhere (e.g. Warwick and Bristol).
For those unis I’d just contact them to ask whether it would disadvantage you not taking all subjects in one sitting.
Original post by MadxAnyone
Yh realised it was useful way too late just unsure on admission data on how they’d see 3 achieved + one predicted for example

The fact you did three in one sitting makes it much, much better as you're showing you can handle the workload. Having an extra one just makes that better and shows that you're being proactive.

Quick Reply

Latest