The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Home Learning A Level Biology

Hey everyone, I'm doing AQA A Level Biology through Oxbridge Home Learning. I've been going through their notes, but notice that (apart from the numerous typos) quite a lot of extra information is given, and it's really hard to know what to commit to memory and what to skip. For example, for cells, they provide illustrations of the structure of the Golgi apparatus, although that level of detail isn't required according to the syllabus and has not come up in any past papers from the past 5 years. They also ask you to research the differences between 70S and 80S ribosomes, and again this isn't on the AQA syllabus (and again hasn't come up on any past papers I have seen). Also, for example, where the syllabus does state you need to know the main functions of each organelle, this is given in a longwinded and haphazard way in the notes. Did you find this is to be an issue?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by d50kab
Hey everyone, I'm doing AQA A Level Biology through Oxbridge Home Learning. I've been going through their notes, but notice that (apart from the numerous typos) quite a lot of extra information is given, and it's really hard to know what to commit to memory and what to skip. For example, for cells, they provide illustrations of the structure of the Golgi apparatus, although that level of detail isn't required according to the syllabus and has not come up in any past papers from the past 5 years. They also ask you to research the differences between 70S and 80S ribosomes, and again this isn't on the AQA syllabus (and again hasn't come up on any past papers I have seen). Also, for example, where the syllabus does state you need to know the main functions of each organelle, this is given in a longwinded and haphazard way in the notes. Did you find this is to be an issue?

I was actually thinking of trying their program but I'm not too sure. I feel Biology always has the worst resources, it's always so hard to find out exactly what you need to know.I don't do AQA so I can't suggest anything exam board specific but doing exam questions really narrows down what you need to commit to memory!
Reply 3
This is the problem with doing any online course - you have no-one to 'ask'.
Original post by d50kab

I’m also doing aqa a level biology and everything you have stated is completely correct they give extra info that’s not needed and they also miss concepts aswell . Not worth my money but I’ve already bypassed the 14day refund period.
i'm planning to do A level Bio and Chem and i think i might add on extra IRL tuitioning because of this comment, thank you for your honest review and im praying for you 💕

my best advice would be to take advantage of online resources and conversate with people who have already done the exams, make notes ALONGSIDE the specification and get online textbooks that simplify concepts for you. good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest