The Student Room Group

Teaching English Abroad

Hi all,

What qualifications would I need to have to teach English in the Levant region of the Middle East?

I'm going to be studying Arabic & Politics at SOAS for my degree however am unsure what to do after that in order to become a foreign language teacher.

Would I need a TEFL qualification?
Reply 1
Original post by PoliticsIsHell
Hi all,

What qualifications would I need to have to teach English in the Levant region of the Middle East?

I'm going to be studying Arabic & Politics at SOAS for my degree however am unsure what to do after that in order to become a foreign language teacher.

Would I need a TEFL qualification?

Hey there,

You might not need a TEFL qualification, but they definitely help. Some schools prefer you to have them, whereas for others, a qualification might just be desirable but non-essential.

I have a TEFL qualification. In the end, the school I worked at (in Spain) didn't mind either way, but the training gave me plenty of ideas and resources which I feel made me a better teacher.

Your best bet is to look up job postings and contact the recruiter to see what they say.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Eduweaver
Hey there,

You might not need a TEFL qualification, but they definitely help. Some schools prefer you to have them, whereas for others, a qualification might just be desirable but non-essential.

I have a TEFL qualification. In the end, the school I worked at (in Spain) didn't mind either way, but the training gave me plenty of ideas and resources which I feel made me a better teacher.

Your best bet is to look up job postings and contact the recruiter to see what they say.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, what were the requirements for you to teach in Spain? Any specific degree you need or previous experience?
Reply 3
Thank you, what were the requirements for you to teach in Spain? Any specific degree you need or previous experience?

Check each country's requirements. A lot of visas require teaching licenses and a relevant degree. Not all but some.
Reply 4

I think they preferred that I have experience working with children. I needed my DBS too.

Everyone needed to be able to speak English fluently, which they find out during a phone interview.

As for anything else, all the teachers there had a wealth of different skills, qualifications, and experiences. It was a good mix.

Overall, enthusiasm and adaptability counted for a lot.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 5
If you're studying Arabic at SOAS, you might be given the opportunity to do a term away studying in an Arabic speaking country. This will give you an insight into the culture and the opportunities available. It really depends on which Levant country you are planning to go to.
You need to consider whether this will be a career or just a few years away from home, and if you want £800 a month, or £2,000+. (Which would involve more years of experience and higher qualifications, and possibly a teaching licence depending on the country)

In terms of qualifications, I would say get a CELTA / Trinity certificate, rather than a generic TEFL certificate.

You should get a police check / DBS certificate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending