Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Official Durham University Offer Holders Thread for 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ben.biggyy.junk
I thought they started college allocation in May? And they will get all offers done by 31/3/23, so everyone will have equal college chance if they firm Durham?

I just checked my college application confirmation email and it says "You will be able to amend your choices up until the college allocation process runs in May."

Perhaps it’s the gap year students then, as I’ve seen some with offers and college allocation?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by schoolmum
Perhaps it’s the gap year students then, as I’ve seen some with offers and college allocation?

I asked one person and they said it was because they got an offer to start in 2023 but decided to defer, so they kept their college place for the next year.
Hi,

I have just received an offer to study Politics and Economics and I have to rank the colleges.
(I am an international student)

What are the chances of getting allocated to University College (or any other Bailey college)? Does my field of study/the fact that I'm international affect the college allocation?
Original post by aleX_3009
Hi,

I have just received an offer to study Politics and Economics and I have to rank the colleges.

What are the chances of getting allocated to University College (or any other Bailey college)? Does my field of study/the fact that I'm international affect the college allocation?

@Durham Students
Original post by aleX_3009
Hi,

Hiya

Congratulations on your offer!

I believe you have posted this question in another forum as well, which I have responded to here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7167487

Additionally, being an international student will not impact your college allocation. The only factors taken into account are your course and your preference form. You can find more details on the college allocation process here.

Let me know if I can help you further :smile:

-Himieka
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

Congratulations on your offer!

I believe you have posted this question in another forum as well, which I have responded to here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7167487

Additionally, being an international student will not impact your college allocation. The only factors taken into account are your course and your preference form. You can find more details on the college allocation process here.

Let me know if I can help you further :smile:

-Himieka

Thank you!!!!

I would like an ensuite room in a catered, gowned college on the Bailey. (I know Bailey colleges have fewer single rooms)

Here’s my question: Is it possible to be assigned to a college with the characteristics mentioned above, but not be able to get the type of room I prefer?

Am I able to choose the type of room, and if so, when do I make that choice? Also, what happens if 50 students want an ensuite, but there are only 10 such rooms available?

P.S. Could you please explain the meanings of the types of rooms available? (Single ensuite, twin ensuite, shared ensuite, standard room). Is there a deadline for selecting colleges?
Thank youuu🤗
Original post by Anonymous #5
Thank you!!!!

I would like an ensuite room in a catered, gowned college on the Bailey. (I know Bailey colleges have fewer single rooms)

Here’s my question: Is it possible to be assigned to a college with the characteristics mentioned above, but not be able to get the type of room I prefer?

Am I able to choose the type of room, and if so, when do I make that choice? Also, what happens if 50 students want an ensuite, but there are only 10 such rooms available?

P.S. Could you please explain the meanings of the types of rooms available? (Single ensuite, twin ensuite, shared ensuite, standard room). Is there a deadline for selecting colleges?
Thank youuu🤗

Hiya

No problem at all :smile:

All colleges on the bailey have ensuite rooms available but they are limited in number. The majority of rooms are either shared (like in Chads) or a single standard room. It is possible to be assigned to a college that meets all your criteria (these are Chads, Johns, Castle, and Hatfield since Cuths is non-gowned) but because each college has different types of rooms available, it's possible to not get an ensuite.

You will be able to submit a choice for your room after college allocations are complete (around August- September time) and the college will try their best to give you your preferred room but due to oversubscription, this isn't always possible. And since ensuite rooms are limited, I understand that priority is given to those with access/medical needs.

As for the types of rooms available,
single ensuite= single bedroom + your own private bathroom
twin ensuite/shared ensuite= shared room with 2 single beds + bathroom shared between those 2
standard room= single bedroom + shared bathroom b/w 6-12 students in your flat

Hope that helps!

-Himieka
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi guys! Which college is 'Z'? How do I choose which college I want to go to? Any help will be appreciated!
Original post by Anonymous #6
Hi guys! Which college is 'Z'? How do I choose which college I want to go to? Any help will be appreciated!

you’ll get a list to rank on the applicant portal after you get an offer. z isn’t a college, it’s just what goes through on ucas :smile:
Original post by funny-liquid
you’ll get a list to rank on the applicant portal after you get an offer. z isn’t a college, it’s just what goes through on ucas :smile:

And is that the same website where we upload our documents (before an offer is made) or will they be sending further details?
Original post by Anonymous #6

And is that the same website where we upload our documents (before an offer is made) or will they be sending further details?

yeah, i didnt get an email for mine so it’s just a case of checking a few days after you get your offer! mine didn’t appear for a couple of days so i was confused, but it’s there now. it’s just a section of the grid that says upload documents :smile:
Original post by funny-liquid
yeah, i didnt get an email for mine so it’s just a case of checking a few days after you get your offer! mine didn’t appear for a couple of days so i was confused, but it’s there now. it’s just a section of the grid that says upload documents :smile:

Thank you sm!
Reply 32
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students who have gotten a offer from @Durham University for 2024 entry! You can chat with other offer holders, and see if you can find someone who could be in your class next year <3! also, let us know what A Levels you are taking and the subject you want to study!! :smile:

Hey, currently on a gap year but I'll be doing Law next year - I've been allocated into Collingwood College.
Original post by O18JW
Hey, currently on a gap year but I'll be doing Law next year - I've been allocated into Collingwood College.

Congratulations 👏👏🎉
How have you been allocated a college already? Did you apply, get a college, and then defer?
Reply 34
Congratulations 👏👏🎉
How have you been allocated a college already? Did you apply, get a college, and then defer?

Yeah basically, the uni sent out a form earlier in the year where you rank the colleges in order of preference - I got Collingwood and then after I deferred I got a college confirmation for Collingwood for 2024.
Original post by O18JW
Congratulations 👏👏🎉

Yeah basically, the uni sent out a form earlier in the year where you rank the colleges in order of preference - I got Collingwood and then after I deferred I got a college confirmation for Collingwood for 2024.

just out of interest since you’ve already done this, at what point do you receive your allocation?
Reply 36
Original post by Anonymous #4

just out of interest since you’ve already done this, at what point do you receive your allocation?
Yh so I was provisionally allocated my college in early May and then a couple months later I was sent a form on room preference and that sort of thing.
Of course! Hoping for an earlier rather than later offer since the college choices are on a first come, first served basis!

Colleges aren't allocated like that. Also, just be very aware that you aren't guaranteed to get your first choice at the time of provisional allocation and that, after results day, even if you meet their top tier guarantee of not being reallocated, you stand a good chance of reallocation (particularly for those provisionally allocated into Castle, Chads, Marys or Collingwood). It's best not to get too invested in any one college. All of them have their benefits and a great sense of community and, if you talk to any reallocated students, they wouldn't change their position.

Just to say, my YP was a gap year student who significantly exceeded the standard entry grades for their course. They received an unconditional offer, firmed the university and their college place (as soon as it was allocated) and they were then reallocated from their first choice to their twelfth choice after results day. There was no appeal available. They are delighted where they are albeit not it's what they expected when they confirmed their place. Durham is an absolutely brilliant uni and the majority of students are very happy so, again, please don't get too invested on a particular college (or even Hill / Bailey). Good luck!
I will most likely go to Durham as it's basically the best uny I could apply to.

Initialy I would of loved to apply at Cambridge or other hier tier unis like LSC.

But basically I found out that maths for A level was essential for my course, ( which I didnt have, unfortunately)

So because Durham has a good reputation and the uni looks nice I'll probably pick it

Well it's either Durham or Exeter

Alos I got an offer last week for my course which is existing

Quick Reply

Latest