The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Official Durham University Offer Holders Thread for 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Hello y’all, Just got offer from Durham for PG Finance & Investments for Sept 2024. Hoping to know which college might be more suitable for me as I am hard of hearing and need little bit of support here & there.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by Anonymous #12
Offer received yesterday to study MMath (4 year course) predicted grades 4 x A* including Further Maths.
Non contextual home student

congrats :smile:
Original post by tthewohget
Hi everyone, i received an offer yesterday for computer science from durham.

Congrats! Was this a contextual offer for a home applicant?? I have also applied for Computer Science at Cambridge (rejection), Imperial (offer), Durham (no news), Edinburgh and Manchester.

What about you? Where else have you applied?
Reply 63
Applied 15/12/23 - received an offer tonight for MMaths from Durham - home student, non contextual.
Original post by chat45
Applied 15/12/23 - received an offer tonight for MMaths from Durham - home student, non contextual.

Did you do an admissions test? If so, ok.

If not, ahhhhhhhhhhhh! When will they start handing out CS offers?? I didn't have to do an admissions test but it's the only decision I have to wait on and if I get the offer, I'm submitting my firm and insurance choices the same day. Also, I'm asking because they share departments and since you didn't have to do an admissions test, they will start looking at other disciplines that didn't require an admissions test.
Reply 65
No, no admissions test.

Good luck to you.
Original post by chat45
No, no admissions test.

Good luck to you.

Thank you 🤞🤞
Reply 67
Hi, just got an offer for Law 2024. I'm an international and applied with IB scores. Any advice on college allocation please?
Reply 68
Original post by lucyroche
got an unconditional offer mid november to do psychology (already have the grades) and have firmed durham up. given i have a guaranteed place, when it comes to college allocation, surely i get my top choice?

umm...no.
Anyone applying for Business had an offer yet?
Original post by liam vu
Hi, just got an offer for Law 2024. I'm an international and applied with IB scores. Any advice on college allocation please?

Hey when did u apply if you don’t mind me asking?
I applied in the middle of November but still no news.
Original post by Anonymous #14
Anyone applying for Business had an offer yet?

I got an offer for Finance, which I suppose is part of the business school
Original post by MariaD2005
Hey when did u apply if you don’t mind me asking?
I applied in the middle of November but still no news.

My son sent his application in mid November too…. He’s had offers from Loughborough, Sheffield and Reading, but Durham is his favourite….
Hi, Received a conditional offer for Law on 2nd. International student. Applied on 11th October.
Original post by Ben.biggyy.junk
Oxbridge has an early deadline, which for this year was 16/10/23. So anyone who applies before then and has a strong application are very likely Oxbridge, and so Durham are more likely to give an offer in early November, to compete with those Oxbridge applicants.

as a former Durham student who worked in admissions, I'm not quite sure where you got this information from? Durham doesn't tend to issue early offers for humanities subjects to potential Oxbridge candidates, or any candidates, they wait and give most offers late (March) because they want the successful Oxbridge candidates to firm Oxford or Cambridge and leave the applicant pool - sending late offers means they have a more applicant picture of who is actually most likely to come in September. Like Oxbridge, universities such as Durham, Warwick etc. have far more offers than they have places each year, they don't need to compete with Oxbridge for students, there are too many excellent students for Oxbridge places!
Original post by Anonymous #13
Did you do an admissions test? If so, ok.

If not, ahhhhhhhhhhhh! When will they start handing out CS offers?? I didn't have to do an admissions test but it's the only decision I have to wait on and if I get the offer, I'm submitting my firm and insurance choices the same day. Also, I'm asking because they share departments and since you didn't have to do an admissions test, they will start looking at other disciplines that didn't require an admissions test.

Hey, I’ve just received an offer for CS if that helps at all :smile:
I’ve heard nothing from Imperial yet tho - did you have an interview and when did you apply?
Original post by Anonymous #17
I’ve heard nothing from Imperial yet tho - did you have an interview and when did you apply?

Firstly, congratulations on receiving your offer from Durham! It does give me some help because I know that they are starting to process more applications. No one from my school applying for CS has received offers from Durham yet even though it is the one university we all applied to. I am getting particularly worried given the volume of offers that have been handed out that I am going to get rejected but the fact that no one from the CS applicants at my school has received a Durham offer is keeping hope for an offer alive so 🤞.

Secondly, I applied on 27/09 (I also applied to Cambridge but pre-interview rejection due to a stupid admin mistake on my part that led me to fumble my admissions test). I am a home applicant that is not eligible for contextual offers.

I had my admissions test invite on 9/10, admissions test on 12/10, interview invite on 10/11, in-person interview on 29/11 and offer on 18/12.

When did you apply? Are you a home applicant and are you contextual? Where else did you apply and where else have you heard back from?

In case you are wondering, my A levels are Maths, Further Maths, CompSci, Chemistry + EPQ (predicted 5 A*s) and GCSEs of 9999999988 with the 8s in English Literature and RS.

When I went about selecting universities to apply to, I'll be honest, I applied to Cambridge and Imperial thinking, yeah I've got absolutely no shot of getting an offer but I will do it for the experience. I thought I had reasonable chances of getting offers from two institutions after I applied (Manchester and Durham) and that I would get rejected from the other three (Cambridge
, Imperial and Edinburgh because of acceptance rates, competition, thinking I am not good enough and my application is weak and in the case of Edinburgh, no one from my school has got into Edinburgh for a STEM course for the past 6 years and I felt as though I had absolutely no chance of breaking the curse).

However, I was completely shocked when I received offers from Manchester and Edinburgh within a couple of weeks after sending off my application. I was even more shocked when I received an early Christmas present on the 18th of December in the form of offer from Imperial at 10 pm.

I have a friend who is an international student at my school who also applied to CS at Imperial. We applied to all of the same universities except I applied to Edinburgh and he applied to Bath. He sent his application off 15 minutes before me but so far, he has only completed the admissions test (completed on 16/10). I wouldn't worry too much....given you got an early Durham offer, your application must be strong so I wish you all the very best of luck.
I recieved my offer for psychology (non contextual, home student), has anyone else put in their college preferences yet?
Original post by Anonymous #18
I recieved my offer for psychology (non contextual, home student), has anyone else put in their college preferences yet?

put mine in a couple of weeks before christmas, but there’s definitely no hurry. you can change them until the allocations in may, so it doesn’t matter when they go in really
Original post by Anonymous #17

Can I ask when you received it, still not heard anything from CS and getting anxious, as someone mentioned if no offer by now not likely to receive one?

Quick Reply

Latest