The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Official Durham University Offer Holders Thread for 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #19
Can I ask when you received it, still not heard anything from CS and getting anxious, as someone mentioned if no offer by now not likely to receive one?

Whoever said that is deliberately trying to mislead you. They hand out the bulk of the offers in February going onwards. On the whole, most of the people who have received offers are all early applicants (including myself for CS. I applied on 27th September because I was also applying to Cambridge), which should come as no shock to be honest. Further conclusive proof of this is that in the roughly 80 people that were there on the in-person interview day, I would say that 75% at the very least of them had Oxbridge interviews the following week.

My friend at school applied to the same universities as me except he applied to Bath and I applied to Edinburgh. He is classed as an international student and despite sending off his application like 15 minutes before me, all he has done is complete the admissions test. He definitely deserves the Imperial interview (and maybe offer depending on how well he does at interview) but his admissions test could have gone better. I mean, he had an interview for Computer Science at Cambridge so that's a sure sign of potential.

Don't worry about not hearing back yet because Imperial really pace themselves from the early applicant window to the final decision window on 16th May because they don't want to let potential slip through the net. If you look at the spreadsheet from the thread last year, you will see that the bulk of offers came in February and March going forward.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by Anonymous #13
Whoever said that is deliberately trying to mislead you. They hand out the bulk of the offers in February going onwards. On the whole, most of the people who have received offers are all early applicants (including myself for CS. I applied on 27th September because I was also applying to Cambridge), which should come as no shock to be honest. Further conclusive proof of this is that in the roughly 80 people that were there on the in-person interview day, I would say that 75% at the very least of them had Oxbridge interviews the following week.

My friend at school applied to the same universities as me except he applied to Bath and I applied to Edinburgh. He is classed as an international student and despite sending off his application like 15 minutes before me, all he has done is complete the admissions test. He definitely deserves the Imperial interview (and maybe offer depending on how well he does at interview) but his admissions test could have gone better. I mean, he had an interview for Computer Science at Cambridge so that's a sure sign of potential.

Don't worry about not hearing back yet because Imperial really pace themselves from the early applicant window to the final decision window on 16th May because they don't want to let potential slip through the net. If you look at the spreadsheet from the thread last year, you will see that the bulk of offers came in February and March going forward.

Thank you
Reply 82
Original post by MariaD2005
Hey when did u apply if you don’t mind me asking?
I applied in the middle of November but still no news.

Sorry for late reply. I applied on mid October because I also went for Oxford.
Reply 83
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students who have gotten a offer from @Durham University for 2024 entry! You can chat with other offer holders, and see if you can find someone who could be in your class next year <3! also, let us know what A Levels you are taking and the subject you want to study!! :smile:

Hi! I got an offer from Durham around 2 weeks ago to study Psychology in September.
Original post by MaysieJ
Hi! I got an offer from Durham around 2 weeks ago to study Psychology in September.

Wow! Nice! Firm choice? Insurance choice? Or just choice?
Reply 85
Wow! Nice! Firm choice? Insurance choice? Or just choice?

I'm still waiting for a response from St Andrews, and based on their reply, I'll most likely choose Durham as my firm or insurance.
Original post by MaysieJ

Hi, congratulations on your offer! Quick question, are you a home student? I’ve noticed home students get their offers earlier.
Reply 87
Original post by Anonymous #14
Hi, congratulations on your offer! Quick question, are you a home student? I’ve noticed home students get their offers earlier.

Yes I am a home student
Original post by MaysieJ
I'm still waiting for a response from St Andrews, and based on their reply, I'll most likely choose Durham as my firm or insurance.

Yes, I know loads of people waiting for St Andrews at this point. I believe that, in terms of busy departments, they are currently busy with medicine interviews from the back end of last year into early this year as one of my friends had his interview in December last year and another for someone else is scheduled for later this month.

I'm waiting on Durham. Last decision and done with university stuff. If accepted, 80% sure it will be my insurance choice, Imperial firm.

Good luck with St Andrews!
Reply 89
Yes, I know loads of people waiting for St Andrews at this point. I believe that, in terms of busy departments, they are currently busy with medicine interviews from the back end of last year into early this year as one of my friends had his interview in December last year and another for someone else is scheduled for later this month.

I'm waiting on Durham. Last decision and done with university stuff. If accepted, 80% sure it will be my insurance choice, Imperial firm.

Good luck with St Andrews!

That's helpful to hear, I have always known that St Andrews is notorious for waiting until the last minute.

I do know some people from the year above who waited for a Durham offer right up until May as well, so hopefully it doesn't take too long for you to hear back. Well done on Imperial though and good luck with your Durham offer!
Original post by MaysieJ
That's helpful to hear, I have always known that St Andrews is notorious for waiting until the last minute.

I do know some people from the year above who waited for a Durham offer right up until May as well, so hopefully it doesn't take too long for you to hear back. Well done on Imperial though and good luck with your Durham offer!

Thank you! Yeah, unless you did an admissions test last year, everyone who applied for 2023 entry in the year above from my school received Durham offers in April (helpful given that it was after the offer holder day 😂)
Reply 91
Original post by asqwdfrgthjk
hi, i've got an offer for theoretical physics starting in sept 2024, i'm studying chemistry, physics, maths, and further maths at a level and have an epq in sustainability and energy resource management. would love to get in touch with ahyone else doing my course 🙂

Hi! Got an offer for theoretical physics as well!
Reply 92
Original post by Anonymous #18
I recieved my offer for psychology (non contextual, home student), has anyone else put in their college preferences yet?

I did just because I knew which one I liked, but it says I can change it right up until the june deadline so if you do it’s not permanent
Original post by ame3em
I did just because I knew which one I liked, but it says I can change it right up until the june deadline so if you do it’s not permanent

mine says I can change it right up until May. Are you sure yours says June?
It might be different because I applied with confirmed grades?
Reply 94
Had an offer for History today. I’m standard home, non-contextual, so very pleased, as I’d expected to have to wait until the spring.
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students who have gotten a offer from @Durham University for 2024 entry! You can chat with other offer holders, and see if you can find someone who could be in your class next year <3! also, let us know what A Levels you are taking and the subject you want to study!! :smile:

I got an unconditional offer for criminology. I am international and it was non-contextual
Reply 96
today I got a contextual offer today to study modern languages and I am a home student
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 97
Hey! Unsure if anybody has made a similar post but I'm currently a 3rd year English student at butler, if anybody had any questions will try my best to answer? As I know it can be a really stressful period :smile:) sending so much strength to all of you, you've got this and will find so much joy wherever you end up
Original post by zazzy.r
Hey! Unsure if anybody has made a similar post but I'm currently a 3rd year English student at butler, if anybody had any questions will try my best to answer? As I know it can be a really stressful period :smile:) sending so much strength to all of you, you've got this and will find so much joy wherever you end up

Hello! I was wondering how you were able to rank your colleges, as in the criteria you used and perhaps one should use to rank them. Does going to one college have more advantages over going to another?
Original post by 5starmichelin

Hello! I was wondering how you were able to rank your colleges, as in the criteria you used and perhaps one should use to rank them. Does going to one college have more advantages over going to another?

i know you didn’t ask me but i did like, a tonne of research and the categories i settled on were
-whether it’s old or new
-distance from the main campus
-catered or self catered
-percentage chance of shared rooms
-percentage chance of en suite rooms
-whether they had gowned dinners
-general vibe

i put them into preference and allocated points accordingly. so like, catered wasn’t that high priority but i would slightly rather have catered, so it got one point for that.

this certainly wouldn’t work for everyone but if you’re stuck/have no idea/like all of them, then it was a helpful step in laying out the information objectively, without my opinion skewing it.

i’d be happy to share my information with you, as i spent a long time calculating percentages and stuff, it could be helpful if you want it

Quick Reply

Latest