The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Official University of Edinburgh Offer Holders Thread for 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rose.clm
Hii got an offer for CS & physics last week, anyone the same?

I got an offer for physics on friday! I already have an A* in Maths and just need AA in Further Maths and Physics this year (I also take RS but it's not really necessary so may drop it). I'm currently really torn between ucl and edinburgh though bc I got offers from both. But I'm visiting edinburgh for the first time ever (well, scotland for the first time) for the offer holder events.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by harrypotterfan7
I got an offer for physics on friday! I already have an A* in Maths and just need AA in Further Maths and Physics this year (I also take RS but it's not really necessary so may drop it). I'm currently really torn between ucl and edinburgh though bc I got offers from both. But I'm visiting edinburgh for the first time ever (well, scotland for the first time) for the offer holder events.

aahh congrats so exciting! i live in glasgow so have been to edinburgh a good few times. it is lovely! might see you at an offer holder event :smile:
aahh congrats so exciting! i live in glasgow so have been to edinburgh a good few times. it is lovely! might see you at an offer holder event :smile:

Can you give me a rough picture of what it is like in Edinburgh? The city, student life, buildings and general vibe etc. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the Open Day due to problems getting there (I live in Yorkshire). I have an offer for CS, but I'm unsure as to whether I will be able to make the offer holder event or not and they are yet to release a date for the event which makes me even more unsure about things.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Can you give me a rough picture of what it is like in Edinburgh? The city, student life, buildings and general vibe etc. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the Open Day due to problems getting there (I live in Yorkshire). I have an offer for CS, but I'm unsure as to whether I will be able to make the offer holder event or not and they are yet to release a date for the event which makes me even more unsure about things.

I’m a first year student studying informatics. I’ve mostly been in kings campus for lectures, but around once a week I have a computing workshop in Appleton. The city is great, lots of different places to go during the day, and at night Cowgate is pretty lively if that’s your thing. Lots of nice places to eat as well. Unless you get a good location for your accommodation, you will probably have to spend a fair bit of time on the bus (though I’m in beaverbank so might just be personal), but it’s free so not too bad. All the buildings in kings are pretty modern, and so is Appleton Tower. Anyway I’m enjoying the city a lot.
Original post by Blobfish12345
I’m a first year student studying informatics. I’ve mostly been in kings campus for lectures, but around once a week I have a computing workshop in Appleton. The city is great, lots of different places to go during the day, and at night Cowgate is pretty lively if that’s your thing. Lots of nice places to eat as well. Unless you get a good location for your accommodation, you will probably have to spend a fair bit of time on the bus (though I’m in beaverbank so might just be personal), but it’s free so not too bad. All the buildings in kings are pretty modern, and so is Appleton Tower. Anyway I’m enjoying the city a lot.

That's nice to hear! The city sounds nice and I really appreciate you taking your time to describe it. As for the transportation, I don't mind that one bit!

I have an offer from Imperial for Computer Science. I'm trying to decide which uni I should make my insurance choice since I have made the choice to firm Imperial (most competitive CS course in the UK. 5% acceptance rate and I really liked it while I was there both for my interview and the Open Day. Given that I have invested my time and energy into the Imperial process, it is undoubtedly my firm choice).

My insurance options are either Durham, Edinburgh and Manchester. I haven't heard back from Durham yet but if I do hear back from them and get an offer, I want to be in a good place so that I can submit my choices as soon as I can so I am trying to make a decision now.

I went to the Durham Open Day and the facility was great but the town was extremely quiet. There wasn't really that much to do there.

My friend went to the Manchester Open Day (he also applied for Computer Science) and he said that it was really great in every way (industry connections, facilities, course content) but it's quite a high A level conditional requirement (3 A*s).

Thanks! I’ll be coming from wales :smile:)
That's nice to hear! The city sounds nice and I really appreciate you taking your time to describe it. As for the transportation, I don't mind that one bit!

I have an offer from Imperial for Computer Science. I'm trying to decide which uni I should make my insurance choice since I have made the choice to firm Imperial (most competitive CS course in the UK. 5% acceptance rate and I really liked it while I was there both for my interview and the Open Day. Given that I have invested my time and energy into the Imperial process, it is undoubtedly my firm choice).

My insurance options are either Durham, Edinburgh and Manchester. I haven't heard back from Durham yet but if I do hear back from them and get an offer, I want to be in a good place so that I can submit my choices as soon as I can so I am trying to make a decision now.

I went to the Durham Open Day and the facility was great but the town was extremely quiet. There wasn't really that much to do there.

My friend went to the Manchester Open Day (he also applied for Computer Science) and he said that it was really great in every way (industry connections, facilities, course content) but it's quite a high A level conditional requirement (3 A*s).

It totally depends on what you're looking for in a city but I think Edinburgh is quite a nice mix. I'm probably biased because A) I'm Scottish and B) both my parents went to Edinburgh for uni so they've always given me a good impression of the city, but I really like it as a place. I've applied to Durham too, but after visiting I think I'll probably firm Edinburgh. There's just much more to do! Plus lots of beautiful buildings and culture and the uni is great for computing. That being said, I have heard accomodation is pretty tricky to get and not too cheap, and it can be especially bad during the Fringe festival. I've even heard one story of people getting kicked out of their accomodation for a month for the Fringe, but tbf I think that was quite unlucky and not a common occurrence. Durham is very much a student city so I can imagine the student community is pretty tight-knit. No idea about Manchester!
Reply 27

Hi! I received an offer from Edinburgh last week but I haven’t received a welcome email or any information about an offer holder event, do you think I should be worried?
Original post by wep
Hi! I received an offer from Edinburgh last week but I haven’t received a welcome email or any information about an offer holder event, do you think I should be worried?

I haven’t either! i heard it should be between February and April though
Reply 29
Original post by harrypotterfan7
I haven’t either! i heard it should be between February and April though

It's February
Reply 30
Original post by vnayak
It's February

how do you know? did u get an email
Reply 31
Original post by wep
how do you know? did u get an email

Yes....I got my offer in October two weeks after sending off my application.
Reply 32
Original post by vnayak
Yes....I got my offer in October two weeks after sending off my application.

you got an email saying the dates? How long after they accepted u
Reply 33
Original post by wep
you got an email saying the dates? How long after they accepted u

No idea about dates but they said Feb I believe..give me two seconds to check. Will attach a screenshot
It appears that I am waffling ever so slightly....confused the dates:

Reply 35
In case you are unable to see the screenshot, I will type out the relevant bits of the email below:

"As an offer holder, we will keep in regular contact with you via email.

At the start of February, you'll be given access to your dedicated Applicant website. Here you'll find all the information you need about your offer, your subject area and student life at Edinburgh.

We will also open bookings for online and on-campus events for offer holders in February.

Our on-campus Offer Holder Visit Days will take place on Friday 12th April and Friday 26th April so make sure you save the date!"

this is a direct quote. I got the email two weeks after receiving the offer. If you log in to EUCLID and see that you have received a message congratulating you on your offer, you shouldn't be worried about whether you need to be sent stuff.

It's Christmas and how that means it's a couple of weeks off from school for you, it is the same for the universities, if not longer. Some universities break up early but continue working to a later date (Imperial for instance closed its offices today and comes back on the 2nd of Jan so there is a lot of commitment).

Have a nice Christmas and try not to stress too much! If it comes, it comes. If not, you have done your bit - let them do theirs.
Reply 36
Original post by vnayak
In case you are unable to see the screenshot, I will type out the relevant bits of the email below:

"As an offer holder, we will keep in regular contact with you via email.

At the start of February, you'll be given access to your dedicated Applicant website. Here you'll find all the information you need about your offer, your subject area and student life at Edinburgh.

We will also open bookings for online and on-campus events for offer holders in February.

Our on-campus Offer Holder Visit Days will take place on Friday 12th April and Friday 26th April so make sure you save the date!"

this is a direct quote. I got the email two weeks after receiving the offer. If you log in to EUCLID and see that you have received a message congratulating you on your offer, you shouldn't be worried about whether you need to be sent stuff.

It's Christmas and how that means it's a couple of weeks off from school for you, it is the same for the universities, if not longer. Some universities break up early but continue working to a later date (Imperial for instance closed its offices today and comes back on the 2nd of Jan so there is a lot of commitment).

Have a nice Christmas and try not to stress too much! If it comes, it comes. If not, you have done your bit - let them do theirs.

Thank you so much! This was so helpful
Reply 37
Hi I'm a deferred applicant from last year for philosophy and english lit, hope everyone's gets the offers they're wanting!!
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students who have gotten an offer from University of Edinburgh for 2024 entry! You can chat with other offer holders, and see if you can find someone who could be in your class next year <3! also, let us know what A Levels/subjects from other qualifications you are taking and the subject you want to study at uni!! :smile:

Hi, just got a second year offer for physics. Im doing Physics, Maths and Biology A level. Anyone here doing second year entry?
Original post by ilovebolgona
Hi, just got a second year offer for physics. Im doing Physics, Maths and Biology A level. Anyone here doing second year entry?

When they broke up for Christmas?? I don't think that they have returned from Christmas break yet. Also, if I may ask, why second year? There was one other person in this forum with a second year entry offer but for Maths I believe...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending