The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Official University of Edinburgh Offer Holders Thread for 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone had any offers for MMath yet please?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students who have gotten an offer from University of Edinburgh for 2024 entry! You can chat with other offer holders, and see if you can find someone who could be in your class next year <3! also, let us know what A Levels/subjects from other qualifications you are taking and the subject you want to study at uni!! :smile:

Hi 🙂 I applied for Business Management at Edinburgh about a month ago through UCAS, I was wondering if anyone already had offers for this course?
(edited 3 months ago)
I just got an offer for English Language and Literature! For reference I am an international IB student and the offer was conditional.
Original post by zeynepbaser
I just got an offer for English Language and Literature! For reference I am an international IB student and the offer was conditional.

Congrats
Original post by Anonymous #4
Congrats

Thank you!!
Hi!, I've recieved an offer to do Computer Science at Edinburgh for ABB (A-Levels)
Reply 66
Original post by jphillips7083
Hi!, I've recieved an offer to do Computer Science at Edinburgh for ABB (A-Levels)

so lucky! I got 3 A* offer!!
Original post by vnayak
so lucky! I got 3 A* offer!!

I know I am soo lucky lol, I about went into shock when I got the offer I genuinely didn’t think they’d give me it
Has any overseas student gotten an offer yet?
Reply 69
Original post by zeynepbaser

Congrats! I've applied to do English lit but still waiting to hear back :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by ir1sf
Congrats! I've applied to do English lit but still waiting to hear back :smile:

me too! please let me know when u hear :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by sexml13
me too! please let me know when u hear :smile:

Oh cool!! Fingers crossed!

Is edinburgh your first choice?
Has anyone heard from economics!!
Original post by Anonymous #9
Is edinburgh your first choice?

Yeah definitely, I don’t think I’ve found anything wrong with the uni it looks amazing
Yeah definitely, I don’t think I’ve found anything wrong with the uni it looks amazing

Yeah but until you live there, you don't truly get to grips with the place, I find. I really liked Edinburgh too! It has everything you need and at a reasonable price.

For instance, currently I like London as a place because there is a lot to do but I'm sure that with time, I will get bored of the place, not to mention the extortionate rates.

It's the same reason why most people up north go down south sometimes and vice versa.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Yeah but until you live there, you don't truly get to grips with the place, I find. I really liked Edinburgh too! It has everything you need and at a reasonable price.

For instance, currently I like London as a place because there is a lot to do but I'm sure that with time, I will get bored of the place, not to mention the extortionate rates.

It's the same reason why most people up north go down south sometimes and vice versa.

Well I’m breaking that rule living in the Derbyshire area lol
Well I’m breaking that rule living in the Derbyshire area lol

Oh yeah, I really like it in Yorkshire because you have literally everything at your doorstep. You have the city centre if you want a city vibe, or there's loads of countryside if you like camping or anything else of the sort. Also, of all the places that I have been to in England, I've never met friendlier people than those in Yorkshire (depending on where you go obviously but on the whole, this is my opinion). The only problem in terms of university is that you don't have any of the top 10 universities for CS at your doorstep. I mean, you have Sheffield, which is ranked like 12th or 13th but I think that their flagship courses are centred more around Engineering rather than anything else.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Oh yeah, I really like it in Yorkshire because you have literally everything at your doorstep. You have the city centre if you want a city vibe, or there's loads of countryside if you like camping or anything else of the sort. Also, of all the places that I have been to in England, I've never met friendlier people than those in Yorkshire (depending on where you go obviously but on the whole, this is my opinion). The only problem in terms of university is that you don't have any of the top 10 universities for CS at your doorstep. I mean, you have Sheffield, which is ranked like 12th or 13th but I think that their flagship courses are centred more around Engineering rather than anything else.

I thought york university was good for computer science?
I thought york university was good for computer science?

I think it's decent but it's not really great for Engineering-related disciplines in comparison to some of the other T20 universities.

For some of the universities, I was relatively confident that I would receive an offer because of comments I received at a school UCAS fair. Our school held a UCAS fair after we received our predicted grades where loads of the universities up and down the country talk to us as to how we should write our personal statements and other application related tidbits. We would be assigned a university based on our own selections (we picked 3 from the list of 25+).

There were many notable universities with the likes of Durham and Manchester and many others. I was assigned Durham (I chose Durham, Manchester and Birmingham at the time) and we went through the admissions process etc. At lunchtime, they held the main fair where the universities all had stalls for students to come and ask questions. I went to Manchester, York and Lancaster.

I went to Manchester to enquire about the high minimum entry requirements (3 A*s!!).

I went to York to find out more about it and the course had a bigger focus on Maths from what I saw in the prospectus, which if I was trying to achieve, I would not waste my time by applying for CS and apply for Maths instead.

I then went to Lancaster as out of all of the other universities that were there, it was relatively highly ranked. They asked me for my predicted grades and I told then 4 A*s (I didn't get my EPQ grade until the day I sent my application off). They asked me about subjects and I told them Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science.

They said that their standard offer is AAA but because of the subjects I do, my offer would be something like BBCC (I know this sounds far-fetched but I'm being honest and I can swear to it), which I felt was crazy for a T30 university. It had me thinking that I should aim a lot higher which put York out of question too.

I went to the Cambridge, Imperial and Durham Open Days and really liked it. I saw virtual Open Day tours for the remaining universities in the top 10 and I selected Edinburgh as my choice. I saw that Bath was AAA but didn't really like the city so didn't go for it in the end. I would have selected it, if not for the city and was happy that I didn't pick it because my friend who applied there got an email letting him know that they changed minimum entry from AAA to 2A*A, after so many people applied which I felt was CRAZY of them to do such a thing! I also really liked Manchester and the strong links to industry (with Manchester being a tech hub) so I applied to there as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending