The Student Room Group

Sixth form absence

Hey
If I’ve just found out that my granddad is severely ill in Bangladesh. We might have to go and visit him during term-time next week as an emergency. When do you think I should tell my school and how do I do it? I’m in Year 13 so I’m worried this wouldn’t be allowed. how much in advance do I have to tell them and would 10 days be okay so you reckon?
Original post by hahaaddie
Hey
If I’ve just found out that my granddad is severely ill in Bangladesh. We might have to go and visit him during term-time next week as an emergency. When do you think I should tell my school and how do I do it? I’m in Year 13 so I’m worried this wouldn’t be allowed. how much in advance do I have to tell them and would 10 days be okay so you reckon?

Sorry to hear about your grand dad.

I would tell them first thing on Monday. The more notice you give them, the more flexible they can be. If you tell them at the last minute, you will be making things difficult for yourself and everyone else.

I'm confident most colleges would be lenient when it comes to family emergencies such as these, so I would find it really difficult for them to turn you down. Do also try to get any documentary proof (ideally officiated by the doctors) regarding your family situation where possible, in case you want to raise it as an issue further down the line regarding your exams and attendance.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Sorry to hear about your grand dad.

I would tell them first thing on Monday. The more notice you give them, the more flexible they can be. If you tell them at the last minute, you will be making things difficult for yourself and everyone else.

I'm confident most colleges would be lenient when it comes to family emergencies such as these, so I would find it really difficult for them to turn you down. Do also try to get any documentary proof (ideally officiated by the doctors) regarding your family situation where possible, in case you want to raise it as an issue further down the line regarding your exams and attendance.

I appreciate your reply thank you! we’re hoping to book tickets for the end of the week like Thursday so I don’t want my school to think it’s planned if I tell them on Monday? but you’re right that’s probably the best time to tell them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending