The Student Room Group

UCAS offers

I sent my UCAS application yesterday and received my 1st offer from the University of Manchester this evening. I applied for just maths and they came back with the offer of maths with an integrated foundation year with "BBB". It made me question myself, was I too late to send off my application thus I didn't get an offer for just maths with my predicted grade being "AABB". Or am I just not good enough to start regularly and have to do an extra year before moving on? It made me feel a bit sad but I'm grateful for the offer; the offer is attainable. Should I view the integrated foundation year as a good thing or a bad thing? Or just wait for other universities to reply back to me.
(edited 5 months ago)
It’s not really good or bad. It’s a lower offer, so might be useful as insurance, but it’s another year of fees and bills. You’ll also be tied into that uni as FY’s may not be accepted elsewhere.

Unis don’t run out of offers, so when you applied will have played no part in the decision. They just think that course will be better for you, (or you were unsuccessful for the main course and this is their alternative).

There’s no rush to decide what to do with the offer. It’s worth contacting them and asking what might happen if you accepted as Form or Insurance and achieved the grades for year 1 entry. IE. would they move you from the FY to the main course automatically.
Reply 2
The entry requirements for maths at Manchester is A*AA so your predicted do not reach that. Honestly I would view the offer as both incredibly lucky and grateful. They could have just rejected you but instead they are giving you the opportunity to study maths there just with an extra year to ensure you meet the standards they need :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
It’s not really good or bad. It’s a lower offer, so might be useful as insurance, but it’s another year of fees and bills. You’ll also be tied into that uni as FY’s may not be accepted elsewhere.

Unis don’t run out of offers, so when you applied will have played no part in the decision. They just think that course will be better for you, (or you were unsuccessful for the main course and this is their alternative).

There’s no rush to decide what to do with the offer. It’s worth contacting them and asking what might happen if you accepted as Form or Insurance and achieved the grades for year 1 entry. IE. would they move you from the FY to the main course automatically.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and will follow your advice and contact them to ask. So you mean I could send an email and ask if I achieved the requirements for the main course and would be willing to move to the main course rather than the FY?
Reply 4
Original post by ALEreapp
The entry requirements for maths at Manchester is A*AA so your predicted do not reach that. Honestly I would view the offer as both incredibly lucky and grateful. They could have just rejected you but instead they are giving you the opportunity to study maths there just with an extra year to ensure you meet the standards they need :smile:

I'm eligible for their contextual offer of AAA and I have AABB, I feel like that is achievable by the end of the year, but it's fine because I just sent the application off yesterday, I might just wait for the others.
Original post by pwp1014
Thank you so much for your thoughts and will follow your advice and contact them to ask. So you mean I could send an email and ask if I achieved the requirements for the main course and would be willing to move to the main course rather than the FY?

Yes, exactly. A lot of unis do this automatically. So it’s useful info if you do end up picking it, (rather than trying to call on results day).

In your email I would also state that you believe you are contextual eligible, as the person responding won’t necessarily know that.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, exactly. A lot of unis do this automatically. So it’s useful info if you do end up picking it, (rather than trying to call on results day).

In your email I would also state that you believe you are contextual eligible, as the person responding won’t necessarily know that.

Ok thank you so much I really appreciate the help, I wouldn't have known this would be possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending