LSE PPE for 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aavan
omg whr did u see it?
reddit
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
btw what are you guyses predicteds and what subjects do you do?
Has any home student heard anything from UCL yet for PPE?
Original post by Anonymous #2
btw what are you guyses predicteds and what subjects do you do?
3A*s in politics economics and maths
Hey guys I'm a current first year, hopefully offers come in soon but in the meantime (and obviously when people get offers) I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the course here, accommodation and more general LSE stuff too. Best of luck!!
Original post by Anonymous #5
Hey guys I'm a current first year, hopefully offers come in soon but in the meantime (and obviously when people get offers) I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the course here, accommodation and more general LSE stuff too. Best of luck!!
When did you get your offer? Also what are the study abroad opportunities for PPE since its a 4 year course? Thanks!
Original post by fg123445
When did you get your offer? Also what are the study abroad opportunities for PPE since its a 4 year course? Thanks!
Hey! Offers came out really early last year - got my offer on January 12th. It seems the department is going through them later this year as I can't see any offers as yet on the spreadsheet. As for the year-abroad, the course structure was changed this year so from now on it is included within the 4 years. The current 2 destinations are UC Berkeley and Sciences Po, however they aim to add more next year. Hope this helps!
Hey! Offers came out really early last year - got my offer on January 12th. It seems the department is going through them later this year as I can't see any offers as yet on the spreadsheet. As for the year-abroad, the course structure was changed this year so from now on it is included within the 4 years. The current 2 destinations are UC Berkeley and Sciences Po, however they aim to add more next year. Hope this helps!
Thank you! How easy/competitive is it to go on the study abroad! Those destinations sound great.
Honestly I've heard it's quite hard lol, especially for Berkeley. You need to have very decent first year grades - I am looking to apply for the year abroad but don't know how realistic that is considering one of my January exam grades lmao. Hopefully they add some good but less competitive destinations for next year.
has anyone heard from ucl for ppe yet
Yes! Conditional offer
Original post by Anonymous #6
Yes! Conditional offer
omg well done thats amazing, what were ur stats, subjects and the offer they gave
Original post by Anonymous #6
Yes! Conditional offer
Congrats!! Are you a home student?
Original post by Anonymous #4
Has any home student heard anything from UCL yet for PPE?
Hi, yes I received an offer on Wednesday.
Original post by Anonymous #7
Hi, yes I received an offer on Wednesday.
Congratulations, that's great! Could I ask what your predicted grades were, when you applied and what the offer was? thanks
Congratulations, that's great! Could I ask what your predicted grades were, when you applied and what the offer was? thanks
Thank you!! Yeah of course. Predicted grades were 4 A* in maths, further maths, economics and politics, I applied in early October and the offer is A*AA with an A* in maths. Good luck and don’t worry if you haven’t heard, I think unis often give out offers over a relatively long period of time.
Reply 35
How many people here do fm?
Do you think that someone doing FM would be advantaged in any way to someone who does not do FM?
Hi, thanks that would be really helpful!
I was wondering what the workload is like. I have heard LSE has high workload, and have also heard that LSE PPE's workload is higher than most LSE courses, is this true?
How much of the course would you say is lectures/ teaching and how much is up to you to self learn or build on by yourself?
And would you say the LSE Philosophy dept is strong in comparison to unis like UCL, Kings Warwick etc?
What do LSE PPE students think of the course and (if you know) what do other highly ranked PPE students think about their respective uni's PPE courses (do they consider some uni's research better, some uni is more quantitative which they like, more flexibility, also duration as LSE is 4 year what are your thoughts on this is the forth year worth it?)
Out of curiosity too would taking FM be advantageous over someone who does not take it, especially as the maths skills seem to be essential in this courses as it is one of the only non pure econ courses that requires A* in maths. Sorry I have alot of qs lol. Thanks!
Ive seen 3 people get offers tonight. Good luck everyone!!!
Hi, thanks that would be really helpful!
I was wondering what the workload is like. I have heard LSE has high workload, and have also heard that LSE PPE's workload is higher than most LSE courses, is this true?
How much of the course would you say is lectures/ teaching and how much is up to you to self learn or build on by yourself?
And would you say the LSE Philosophy dept is strong in comparison to unis like UCL, Kings Warwick etc?
What do LSE PPE students think of the course and (if you know) what do other highly ranked PPE students think about their respective uni's PPE courses (do they consider some uni's research better, some uni is more quantitative which they like, more flexibility, also duration as LSE is 4 year what are your thoughts on this is the forth year worth it?)
Out of curiosity too would taking FM be advantageous over someone who does not take it, especially as the maths skills seem to be essential in this courses as it is one of the only non pure econ courses that requires A* in maths. Sorry I have alot of qs lol. Thanks!
Hey. I’ll answer your questions 1 by 1.

1) Workload is high. It’s one of the top universities in the world so it’s kinda what you’re signing up for. I don’t really have a comparison to PPE courses at other unis, but you do have to put in a lot of work for each module each week (otherwise you suffer eventually haha, saying this from experience). The workload is not higher than that of other courses, my friends in pure econ and law have had to study a lot more than I for example; you still do 4 modules over the year and the modules themselves are shared with other courses, so IMO workload is definitely not higher than other courses in the uni in general.

2) Study is mainly independent. I really don’t think the econ modules in particular have good lectures which is ironic lol, and in classes material is not really explained in too much depth and you simply go through the problem sets or reading/lectures. It’s really on you to understand the material yourself, and if you have issues you need to book an office hour to discuss with your class teacher outside of class and lectures.

3) The LSE philosophy department is very unique in that it is very much science focused; a lot of the professors have science backgrounds and have now shifted to philosophy. We were told by the head of the department that, for example, Kings is superior for ancient philosophy, and I’m sure UCL is better for better aspects. I don’t really agree with the notion that more “applied” philosophy is better (in the sense that it’s science based or whatever), however the department is extremely research focused and dynamic, so it’s really great. However have a look at the philosophy modules at say UCL or KCL and see if they interest you more.

4) Most students like the course but there are complaints about particular modules and such, to be honest it’s just hard being a first year and adjusting to uni in general and there are many things on your priority list other than academics so opinions will change I’m sure. I can’t say much about PPE students at other unis. I personally really like the 4 year structure for various reasons, particularly as the 4th year modules are unique to PPE and are more applied, almost like a placement and dissertation, and I’m considering a year abroad anyways so I would have probably ended up with a 4 year degree in any case.

5) I did FM - I took the harder maths module - first term was great, and now it’s no longer relevant we’re way beyond it haha, so I wouldn’t worry, you could always pick the lighter maths module.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending