The Student Room Group

Graduate scheme in auditing firm in the UK, application

Scroll to see replies

I would love to chat about the process as I have little to no experience when it comes to applying for job in big firms, I have done some research, but it is always a good thing to get the more insight.
I’d say it is quite obvious, personally, to differentiate Laotian names to other languages, but it can sound quite similar to Thai, Burma and Cambodian. But personally, 99% of the time, I will be able to tell if it is Laotian names
Original post by Hello1234!!!
I would love to chat about the process as I have little to no experience when it comes to applying for job in big firms, I have done some research, but it is always a good thing to get the more insight.
I’d say it is quite obvious, personally, to differentiate Laotian names to other languages, but it can sound quite similar to Thai, Burma and Cambodian. But personally, 99% of the time, I will be able to tell if it is Laotian names
thanks - I'll try to write some notes over the next couple of days when I am fresh.

Have a look on linkedin and search for names of Thais and Laotians working for accounting firms in the UK. Some things I'll suggest would be best approached by reaching out to them for some assistance.
Thank you! Also for the past few days, this question has been popping in my head. Will my grade in both BSc and MSc matters in my situation?
Thank you! Also for the past few days, this question has been popping in my head. Will my grade in both BSc and MSc matters in my situation?
Great question. I'm not really up to date on the details and haven't been since covid.

Grades will be considered - but the way they are considered varies a lot between firms. In the past they tended to operate in the same ways but that doesn't seem to be the case any more.
I see. Base on yiur knowledge, can experience in the industry and within the country substitute the transcript?
So - for big firm recruitment. I asked a former member of this forum who is from another East Asian country and get recruited last cycle:

"I remember there were 2-3 steps of these tests before in-person interview. The very first step was usually basic arithmetic questions or IQ test type questions where no linguistic skill is required. The second step is a bit tricky because you need to record your answers(1-2 mins * 4-5 questions) or draft an email after watching short video clips on daily situations in business settings. I’m afraid this should be all answered in English.

Having a verbal reasoning test alone was quite rare. Usually, a short article or video clip is given with 3-4 graphs/ charts and I was asked to give an analysis in recording/ email format."

My recollection is that when I've sat aptitude tests there were a huge number of languages available - so judging from the above it varies by firm. Might be worth finding out while practicing for the tests?

I'd try to think of it as a list of things you do in the process of applying. Some need advance actions to have the rights experiences to demonstrate skills.

Perhaps this might be a standard route:

1) Apply online - submit a CV and an application form. The application form may well ask for responses to workplace type situations. These tend to be pretty similar and some time googling might give a list of things to think about. The actual ones you get will probably differ a bit but thinking of good examples up front really helps.

Think of questions like:

Could you discuss a time when you had to deal with a customer complaint?

Could you discuss a time when you had to deal with a difficult colleague?

Could you discuss a time when you had to balance conflicting priorities?

Your previous work and current position should suit these questions really well. The usual advice for teenagers etc is it err towards getting jobs such as hospitality and supermarkets which give the sort of experience to demonstrate the skills the firms look for.

You then (assuming you get through the first CV sift) sit aptitude tests. These can absolutely be practiced for - and this is worth doing ahead of time in order to borrow books from a library and get training software and support from your careers centre. Also - you need some time to practice and learn some techniques for the tests and understand the exam technique.

You would be likely to have short form question video interviews. I've never done these but suspect its worth checking for online advice and seeing if you can practice for responses and timing.

If you do well in the above you then prepare for interviews and assessment centres. My belief is that its best to consider the areas above first as you need to succeed on them to be invited for interviews.
I see. Base on yiur knowledge, can experience in the industry and within the country substitute the transcript?
From seeing the backgrounds of people who have been accepted in the last 3/4 years yes. That wasn't necessarily the case before that so be careful of outdated advice. For experienced hire positions its not as significant as for grad schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending