The Student Room Group

Competancy Based Interview and Star Method

Hello I hope you are well I have a interview coming up Wednesday morning for a job involving customer service, what are competancy based interview questions how do I answer it effectively and how do I use the star method effectively.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Hello I hope you are well I have a interview coming up Wednesday morning for a job involving customer service, what are competancy based interview questions how do I answer it effectively and how do I use the star method effectively.

Hello!
When it comes to acing a competency interview, first thing is to know what they are about. For competency interviews they will be looking at how you can meet a desire skill they want you to have. Your job is to quickly identify what skill they want and explain this clearly. STAR method is a really effective tool for this.

S - What is the Situation that you are using as an example where you showcased the quality they want.
T - What was the Task that you were doing/needed to get done.
A - What was the Action you took to ensure this task was completed
R - What was the Result of the action you took to complete the task, was it positive and have the desired outcome.

For a customer service role few examples to prepare would be ones on communication, team work, problem solving and team management.

Best of luck and hope it goes well!
Original post by brandonbshah
Hello!
When it comes to acing a competency interview, first thing is to know what they are about. For competency interviews they will be looking at how you can meet a desire skill they want you to have. Your job is to quickly identify what skill they want and explain this clearly. STAR method is a really effective tool for this.

S - What is the Situation that you are using as an example where you showcased the quality they want.
T - What was the Task that you were doing/needed to get done.
A - What was the Action you took to ensure this task was completed
R - What was the Result of the action you took to complete the task, was it positive and have the desired outcome.

For a customer service role few examples to prepare would be ones on communication, team work, problem solving and team management.

Best of luck and hope it goes well!

Hi Brandon brilliant piece of advice. When you say to know what they about is that information on the company itself. I was wondering if you could provide me with some example links to prepare for the interview. It’s a job within a bank.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3

do you mind telling me what job this is. I've been trying lots of jobs but without any luck ☹️ TY!!
Original post by ThyNDS
do you mind telling me what job this is. I've been trying lots of jobs but without any luck ☹️ TY!!

It’s a job within the bank (Lloyd's)
Reply 5
It’s a job within the bank (Lloyd's)

woah that's so cool wth. Do they require any experience?

Edited to add
So Im assuming that this is a graduate scheme
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by ThyNDS
woah that's so cool wth. Do they require any experience?

Edited to add
So Im assuming that this is a graduate scheme

No not necessarily but got to nail it just nervous.
Reply 7
No not necessarily but got to nail it just nervous.

Let us know how it went aterwards
Original post by ThyNDS
Let us know how it went aterwards

Yeah no problem
Reply 9
Hi Brandon brilliant piece of advice. When you say to know what they about is that information on the company itself. I was wondering if you could provide me with some example links to prepare for the interview. It’s a job within a bank.

Bit late to the party here, but I found on another page from that site some example questions that may be useful to practice with some tips to answer them. In short, make sure to have done your research on them and when thinking of examples which show these skills, think about how they are relevant/useful for working at Lloyds e.g. their values.

Hope this helps and best of luck today!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending