The Student Room Group

fluctuating thoughts

so 2 weeks ago my break started and now i have one week left till my mocks and until now ive realised i dont think i have revised properly. i have spent an avg 8 hours everyday and yet i feel like i didnt use my time properly and the main purpose is because i revised of past papers. i dont know if this will end well, but i still have one week and dont know what to do to change my revision or thoughts because i am now stuggling to focus..i just really really want a 9
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by xzyuo_137
so 2 weeks ago my break started and now i have one week left till my mocks and until now ive realised i dont think i have revised properly. i have spent an avg 8 hours everyday and yet i feel like i didnt use my time properly and the main purpose is because i revised of past papers. i dont know if this will end well, but i still have one week and dont know what to do to change my revision or thoughts because i am now stuggling to focus..i just really really want a 9

You need to focus on the quality of revision (revising using active recall and the stuff you find harder) rather than quantity (length of time). You can't just use one revision method, you need to use a variety of revision techniques to make sure you know the content and can answer exam questions.
Original post by xzyuo_137

Hey try not to panic a lot and instead try to focus on everything you can do over the next week to gain more confidence and preparation in time for your mocks.

Use the rest of today to make a proper plan (it doesn't have to be in the form of a timetable, it can be in the form of a checklist too) - so first write down all the subjects you have and underneath write down which papers you will be doing. Under that, list all the topics you will be tested on in that paper, for science make sure to mention practicals and equations you need to know and for maths list any equations you won't be provided with.

Now look through all the revision you have done so far and pick out which ones you think you have effectively studied or at least pick out any topics you are 100% confident with - now cross those off your checklist. You can also cross off any equations or practicals you are confident with too. So eventually you should narrow down your list to the main topics you need to revise.

Go through your past papers and briefly flip through the questions (look at all the questions you have answered and haven't answered); highlight the questions you find most difficult in one colour or mark it with a tab - if you notice that most of the challenging questions you highlighted come from a certain topic then note down that topic too (so you know that you urgently need to revise that topic). Using another colour highlighter or another tab, mark or highlight the questions you have answered but gotten wrong - you can prioritise these questions too.

Now do all of the questions you highlighted or marked with a tab to the best of your ability - then take the time to refer to the mark scheme and see which ones you got correct and which ones you didn't. It can also help to refer to the examiner report of that year to see why other students may have gotten that question wrong too. Look at the questions you got right and see which topic they cover - if you now feel confident with that topic you can cross it off your checklist (if you still don't feel confident with that topic, you don't need to cross it off).

Look at the questions you got wrong now and see which topics they come from - now you should watch video explanations or read your revision guide to try and understand that topic. Afterwards you can attempt those questions referring to the notes and your current understanding of that topic and see if you feel more confident with it.

If you want to structure your revision more, then here's a template that can help:

Understanding: first work on understanding the topic by watching video explanations or reading your revision guide while making notes. Don't forget to look at your specification and note down which points you need to know.

Retrieval: look back at the topic a few hours later and see if you are able to recall the points in your notes (especially any practicals or equations you need to know)

Practice: now work on doing practice questions from past papers, PMT or MME revise and mark them to see how you could improve further

I hope I helped a bit and please let me know if anything I said wasn't clear! Good luck for mocks!

Quick Reply

Latest