The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford History DPhil applicants 2024-25

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #3
Asked my potential supervisor today about decisions, says to expect them next week. Good luck all!!
Is this for all strands or a specific one? Thanks for the update!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Morphia
Best of luck, everyone 🙂 how much have most of you corresponded with your potential supervisors? Is it a back and forth or just one introductory email and reply? Trying to gauge something. 🙏😇
We zoomed and then sent a few emails back and forth about my proposal and then she did the final read through of it before I submitted it. But it was only a few emails total.
Asked my potential supervisor today about decisions, says to expect them next week. Good luck all!!
Doesn't the timeline vary by dept?
Original post by Anonymous #5
What a cool insider experience! Would you know when ESRC decisions tend to be made?
I honestly can’t remember exactly. April or May I think. But it’s all mushed together in my brain.
Has anyone been nominated for OOC AHRC DTP?
Original post by Morphia
Best of luck, everyone 🙂 how much have most of you corresponded with your potential supervisors? Is it a back and forth or just one introductory email and reply? Trying to gauge something. 🙏😇
I've had a few back and forths over the months, but it's been pretty minimal!
Oh God!!!! I was happy not knowing, haha! But thank you for finding out... here goes then... xx
Original post by Morphia
The Oxford professor who advised on my proposal was an expert in the field but having only recently completed her own PhD was unable to supervise. So we had a few back and forths in the run up to submission just polishing the proposal. The person who showed interest in being my supervisor had a family issue so was out of action during the process but checked back in with me in Jan or Feb, I think, once the admission process was underway to say good luck and that if I get accepted we should talk properly asap. But what is odd is that I've spoken with various potential supervisors during this time and they all said I didn't need to secure a supervisor, it wasn't essential or even advised! This whole process took so long that I gave up in getting one to help me with the application in the end. But my application is also intended as interdisciplinary with the English dept, so maybe that's why it was tough? Who knows. It's in the hands of the Gods now. 😉 I'm genuinely pleased with my application and have 3 really strong references so I've done what I can. I didn't apply for any external funding though and can only do this if I get a full scholarship through Ox, so... there are a lot of components.... come what may! Good luck to you all. x
Reply 28
Original post by Morphia
I had a couple of emails then a 30 min chat in person, but I think it massively varies.
Just in keeping with the main graduate applicant thread updates, my upload button has now disappeared! Same for anyone else?
Reply 30
Original post by Anonymous #2
Just in keeping with the main graduate applicant thread updates, my upload button has now disappeared! Same for anyone else?

Mine is still there. I think it's done by strand.
Reply 31
Mine is still there, what strand are you?
Original post by Lightblood
Mine is still there, what strand are you?
Intellectual history - hopefully not a rejection in the coming days
hoping you get in 🙏🙏 does anyone know if there’s a method to which strands get released? Any insight from previous years? I don’t think it’s alphabetical if the Intellectual History strand results are roaring for release. Would like to schedule my panic attack preferably to a window of a few days hahah.
Reply 34
Keep us posted, from other posts it seems like decisions came through shortly after the button disappeared.
Has anyone heard back from the Global and Imperial History strand for DPhil? My nervousness is off the charts now... nearly got hit by a car while crossing the road...
Keep us posted, from other posts it seems like decisions came through shortly after the button disappeared.
Will do!
Reply 37
Original post by Anonymous #7
Has anyone heard back from the Global and Imperial History strand for DPhil? My nervousness is off the charts now... nearly got hit by a car while crossing the road...

Most results won't come out until next week at the earliest, so you should probably stick to pedestrian crossings for the moment...
Yea, keep us posted. Best of luck to u!
Anyone have a rough idea of how many applicants there are this year? I realise it’s pretty unlikely anyone has this info but just thought I’d ask just in case as I’m anxious and hoarding/ reading too much into statistics is my passion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending