The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford History DPhil applicants 2024-25

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #22
since certain departments are still giving out offer letters ( as part of their december/january deadline), would it be safe to guess that there is still a higher possibility that not all clarendon offers are out? as far as i know, clarendon scholarships are awarded after the student has received an offer of admission.
can someone please clarify this query? the head of my department is on a vacation so i cant ask there.
also, does anyone know how long it can take to hear back from college at this point? when i did my masters last year, i got my priority college within a day of getting accepted by the department

I’m a bit confused about the timeline, personally. Someone on this thread said that he got a Clarendon offer for DPhil History 3+ weeks ago, but another couple of people were told that the History department was still in the midst of sorting out their Clarendon nominations only a week ago. Otherwise, I haven’t seen anyone else report receiving a Clarendon scholarship yet. So I don’t really understand where in the process we are, or how someone got a stray Clarendon scholarship before the department had finalised their nominations (or even sent out all of their offers)…

This whole “you’ll only know if you get it” thing is a bit insane, imo. I don’t know how to stomach dealing with another 3 months of this…
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
this waiting period is truly gruesome. Could we perhaps draft an email to Clarendon to seek some clarity amidst this chaotic uncertainty? i dont wanna sound impatient but I would appreciate some insight on whether we should even wait for the results or is it already too late to keep our hopes up.
I received my DPhil offer this week. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on how long one should ideally wait to hear from them? What is the likelihood of getting the scholarship if you department nominates you (i have no clue if i am nominated)? Does the timeline vary between departments (i know some departments have already given out the scholarship offers)? and how long does it take to get assigned to a college?
thank you very much
Original post by Anonymous #18
I’m a bit confused about the timeline, personally. Someone on this thread said that he got a Clarendon offer for DPhil History 3+ weeks ago, but another couple of people were told that the History department was still in the midst of sorting out their Clarendon nominations only a week ago. Otherwise, I haven’t seen anyone else report receiving a Clarendon scholarship yet. So I don’t really understand where in the process we are, or how someone got a stray Clarendon scholarship before the department had finalised their nominations (or even sent out all of their offers)…
This whole “you’ll only know if you get it” thing is a bit insane, imo. I don’t know how to stomach dealing with another 3 months of this…

Hi, yes I got the Clarendon a little while ago. I think when the faculty told people they were still making nominations they might have meant for the AHRC (OOC DTP), as of course, as you alluded to, they must have made nominations for the Clarendon.

AHRC tends to come out at the beginning to mid-April, so you'll hopefully know soon enough. Fingers crossed!
(edited 4 weeks ago)
is it any good to just email the Clarendon asking about yourself? i have a partially funded offer from a different uni, and need to know if i got the clarendon before i say yes or no to the other uni (i have a deadline on that offer).
Semi-weird question, but those of you who got rejected from your first choice, has a college offered you a place? Which college?
I gather the allocations process is sort of subject specific, but I honestly have no idea which colleges tend to take historians in the pool ... and also I'm bored and the colleges have nice architecture and I like looking at pictures of them so would like to look at ones I could be allocated (so it doesn't feel quite so much like a complete waste of time lol).
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Pameytilla
Semi-weird question, but those of you who got rejected from your first choice, has a college offered you a place? Which college?
I gather the allocations process is sort of subject specific, but I honestly have no idea which colleges tend to take historians in the pool ... and also I'm bored and the colleges have nice architecture and I like looking at pictures of them.

Hi! MSt in History (Medieval) here. Didn't get my first choice of Balliol, but got my second Choice of Univ like an hour ago
Original post by wstonehenge
Hi! MSt in History (Medieval) here. Didn't get my first choice of Balliol, but got my second Choice of Univ like an hour ago

Awesome, congratulations! Univ is stunning! Their gardens look so pretty!
Original post by Pameytilla
Awesome, congratulations! Univ is stunning! Their gardens look so pretty!

Thank you!! Hope you get allocated soon & sending good energy!!
So I bit the bullet and emailed the department to ask if I was nominated for funding. I was not. They said the following: “Unfortunately you weren’t nominated for a Clarendon or Stuart Hall award, but the nomination process is ongoing and not all awards require a Faculty nomination.”

Can anyone shed some light on what the options are from here? Is the OOC DTP dependent upon faculty nominations? I’m assuming whatever is left is just minor funding to cover some of the tuition? Quite dejected, as I don’t have the funds to pay tuition fees. So I feel like this is probably the end of the line. Unfortunately, I only applied at Oxford, so I guess it’s time to start thinking of alternative careers…

On the bright side, I guess this means that a space will be opening for a waitlisted candidate once I’m sure there’s no more hope.
Original post by Anonymous
So I bit the bullet and emailed the department to ask if I was nominated for funding. I was not. They said the following: “Unfortunately you weren’t nominated for a Clarendon or Stuart Hall award, but the nomination process is ongoing and not all awards require a Faculty nomination.”
Can anyone shed some light on what the options are from here? Is the OOC DTP dependent upon faculty nominations? I’m assuming whatever is left is just minor funding to cover some of the tuition? Quite dejected, as I don’t have the funds to pay tuition fees. So I feel like this is probably the end of the line. Unfortunately, I only applied at Oxford, so I guess it’s time to start thinking of alternative careers…
On the bright side, I guess this means that a space will be opening for a waitlisted candidate once I’m sure there’s no more hope.

Sorry to hear this, I was told the same about not being nominated and can empathise with you! I guess that while the big awards are out of our reach, there still may be those are the level of individual colleges and that do not necessarily require faculty nominations. Hoping the best for us!
Sorry to hear this, I was told the same about not being nominated and can empathise with you! I guess that while the big awards are out of our reach, there still may be those are the level of individual colleges and that do not necessarily require faculty nominations. Hoping the best for us!

Hello. Which email did you all reach out to?

[email protected]

Sorry if this ends up being doubled - I don't think we're supposed to post email addresses. I emailed graduate (dot) admissions (at) history (dot) ox (dot) ac (dot) uk
Original post by Lightblood
Would any other admits be interested in joining a WhatsApp group with a bunch of us? Used to be an applicants group, but now that that’s all over with.

I would love to join as an MPhil admit - though TSR won't let me PM you until I have posted a certain number of times.
any updates on clarendon for anyone?
any updates on clarendon for anyone?

Any updates on AHRC?
Has anybody heard from OOC DTP?
Has anybody heard from OOC DTP?

Nothing. Fingers crossed!
Hello everyone - My supervisor told me two weeks ago that I have been selected for the Clarendon Scholarship, but I have not received the official documents yet. Do I need to continue to inquire with the department or wait? I am very anxious now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending