The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial maths 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #6
Very harsh and it goes agaist what IC is advertising on the admissions site, I know few people got offers without STEP requirement. but their MAT scores are good. but requesting both STEP papers is very unfair, specially some one who has scored well in the second MAT with all that tec issues.

To be fair, the second mat wasn’t very representative since it was a multiple guess paper so people who were disrupted and are better at longer questions and working through stuff lost out ig
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Very harsh and it goes agaist what IC is advertising on the admissions site, I know few people got offers without STEP requirement. but their MAT scores are good. but requesting both STEP papers is very unfair, specially some one who has scored well in the second MAT with all that tec issues.
Thanks
I do have other great offers. I’ll be doing math for the next three years, so next two months is nothing. Good luck everyone.
Did you take the both MAT exams, would you mind sharing both scores please
If it's any help, I received a A*A*AA + 2 in STEP 2 and STEP 3 offer with a 50/100 in MAT and a 9/10 in MATb.
Reply 23
Original post by Anonymous #3
I don’t know if it is enough (I think it probably is given the amount of disruption during first test), but to give you a bearing, I received an offer for maths at imperial this year on 29th February and got 68/100 on first test and 8/10 on second one. Hope this helps!
wait to sorry its a typo, I got 68 and 10/10 but im international so idk... My grades are BCC in further maths, maths and economics, but im contextual because of my down syndrome condition
Original post by janonime
Is anyone else still waiting to hear from IC Maths? I got 63/100 and 8/10 on MAT and still haven't received a decision.

I got 78 on MAT and still have not received a decision. (An international applicant)
I think most imperial offers are out now - either grades only or with STEP ask if lower.
In previous years imperial have tended to do a bulk rejection. It may be slightly later this year owing to MAT issues.
If you haven't had offer with STEP then it's probably going to be a rejection. it wouldn't be fair for them to delay asking weaker candidates for STEP when others with higher MAT etc are already prepping for same.
You can wait but Imperial are known for not really caring about rejected candidates - and you could be waiting months for a final rejection. I'd recommend considering firming and insuring other choices - especially if accommodation etc needs to be sorted.
Original post by Anonymous #10
I think most imperial offers are out now - either grades only or with STEP ask if lower.
In previous years imperial have tended to do a bulk rejection. It may be slightly later this year owing to MAT issues.
If you haven't had offer with STEP then it's probably going to be a rejection. it wouldn't be fair for them to delay asking weaker candidates for STEP when others with higher MAT etc are already prepping for same.
You can wait but Imperial are known for not really caring about rejected candidates - and you could be waiting months for a final rejection. I'd recommend considering firming and insuring other choices - especially if accommodation etc needs to be sorted.

Two things: you don’t know this for certain, especially given all of the MAT issues this year. And the other thing, why say this in the knowledge that it will only stress people out, well before the Imperial 31 March deadline?

Also you can’t firm or insure choices until after all decisions are received unless you withdraw from the ones you actually hope for. It would not be sensible to do this.
Reply 28
oh my god pls dont say this you are worsening my depression conditions, paypal me 10k for compensation
Original post by Jam.123
Two things: you don’t know this for certain, especially given all of the MAT issues this year. And the other thing, why say this in the knowledge that it will only stress people out, well before the Imperial 31 March deadline?
You can wait for the deadline but high scorers have had offers with no STEP conditions; lower scorers have had offers with STEP conditions. Worse performers have not heard yet. I'm basing my assumptions on how imperial have behaved in previous years. I've just withdrawn and firmed warwick and insured bristol but fine if you want to wait until end of whenever their deadline is to reject you that's your choice.
You can wait for the deadline but high scorers have had offers with no STEP conditions; lower scorers have had offers with STEP conditions. Worse performers have not heard yet. I'm basing my assumptions on how imperial have behaved in previous years. I've just withdrawn and firmed warwick and insured bristol but fine if you want to wait until end of whenever their deadline is to reject you that's your choice.

To anybody considering this, it is not a good idea. You can only be rejected by universities on ucas or by email or something like that (direct communication). Imperial’s deadline for offers is the end of March so if you haven’t heard yet, there is still time!! In any case, the ucas deadline to pick CF and CI is in June - ages away. Benefits of withdrawing early are marginal/non-existent as unis only tend to start allocating accommodation in May/June (after they’ve heard back from most people about CF/CI).

Also ur tones kinda rude icl, I’m a happy offer holder for IC just didn’t like the way that you might inspire people to make some pretty bad choices
Original post by Jam.123
Also ur tones kinda rude icl, I’m a happy offer holder for IC just didn’t like the way that you might inspire people to make some pretty bad choices
Stop being patronising and insulting. You are 'a happy offer holder' - well done you. I'm not.
So show some compassion and understanding rather than being judgemental and accusatory of others - who don't have an offer and who are very stressed dissapointed - who are you to tell us what to do? It's our personal choice. You are not in our shoes.
Other TSR users, who don't have an offer, are entitled to have a different opinion to you 'a happy offer holder' - you are not in our position. You're coming across as patronising and self-important.
Imperial open day is coming up why would I go to that without an offer? Why would I cling to false hope they might throw me an offer weeks after everyone else has received them, already asking for STEP on both exams - and to those who did had higher MAT than me. Why would I wait when imperial have previously bulk rejected late in the day.Those are facts. Stop being passive aggressive when the facts don't fit your 'happy offer holder' world view. Our view and position is not the same as yours
I think you 'a happy offer holder' are just getting off on others desperation and want them to wait for some far distant rejection.
That's emotionally damaging - Warwick is better uni in my opinion than imperial - cheaper more supportive and I prefer campus set up. After attending warwick offer holder day, Imperials ongoing delay helped me make my decision, hence I rejected Imoerial as warwick is my first choice and bristol my insurance
Perhaps you 'a happy offer holder' can stop sitting in judgement of non-offer holders and being exactly what you accuse others of - rude, patronising and aggressive. Show some compassion - you don't know what non-offer holders are going though as you're not one of us.
Original post by Jam.123
To anybody considering this, it is not a good idea. You can only be rejected by universities on ucas or by email or something like that (direct communication). Imperial’s deadline for offers is the end of March so if you haven’t heard yet, there is still time!! In any case, the ucas deadline to pick CF and CI is in June - ages away. Benefits of withdrawing early are marginal/non-existent as unis only tend to start allocating accommodation in May/June (after they’ve heard back from most people about CF/CI).
Yes it is a good idea for me. Again, why is your world view the only right one? I clicked the button on UCAS to withdraw from imperial. Took 1 second. My choice. I'm in control. I rejected Imperial As in my opinion Warwick is better choice for me.I can now move on emotionally - focus on Warwick as my firm and my A levels. I feel a weight has lifted and I'm really pleased and excited about my choices.
I no longer have the stress of waiting for an offer, and even if I'd got one I would've firmed Warwick as I prefer the uni. There's no benefit to me in choosing Imperial.. Who are you to demand others wait weeks or months, in state of stress, when they have offers from unis that are just as good and that they prefer.
I have a disability so can make arrangements with warwick on my accommodation and start to plan and look forward with excitement. For me it's been an excellent decision.
Maybe just focus on your own situation as 'a happy offer holder' rather than preaching to others who don't have offers and insisting your view is the only right one. It's not. You're just another TSR user and other users are just as delighted to be offer holders at comparable or better unis.
You don't know the first thing about me and it's just not that deep bro... I didn't mean to offend you if that's what you're angry about. Just wanted to get across that this is quite an atypical year and with over 3k applications, they probably will take their time for likely successful applicants as well. Well done on getting offers from Warwick and Bristol as well!! Good luck for A levels now! Hopefully this clears up the misunderstanding :smile:
Sounds like someone's mad!
Reply 36
My son has 73 for MAT. Didn't write MAT b. No word yet. Do you think there is any hope?
Original post by Reshjac
My son has 73 for MAT. Didn't write MAT b. No word yet. Do you think there is any hope?

Yes definitely there is hope!!
Reply 38
Original post by Jam.123
Yes definitely there is hope!!
He didn't want to do the MAT B. I hope that it hasn't worked against him. I can see offers for lower MAT scores, but they have all done MAT b.
Original post by Reshjac
He didn't want to do the MAT B. I hope that it hasn't worked against him. I can see offers for lower MAT scores, but they have all done MAT b.

MATb wasn’t declared compulsory so they should not rule against him on those grounds alone. 73 is a respectable score

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending