The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol uni engineering

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by martin7
You'll obviously need to get from where you live to Bristol's main campus, but the main engineering buildings (Queen's Building and Merchant Venturers' Building) at Bristol are literally across the road from each other.

Oh that’s a little more reassuring. Do u study engineering at Bristol?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 21
Original post by SP09
Ooh how was ur gap year? Would you mind telling me why u took it or what u did?

So initially I wanted to apply for dentistry, long story short, I flopped at interview and ended up having no offers. Next step, I made sure I got my grades. Then I got a job which lasted around 5 months, got really into aerospace, did a bunch of work experience and applied. Then I spent a small proportion to go travelling and see my friends, now I'm planning to recap some of the maths I've forgotten before uni starts😁
Reply 22
Original post by Ajdj12
So initially I wanted to apply for dentistry, long story short, I flopped at interview and ended up having no offers. Next step, I made sure I got my grades. Then I got a job which lasted around 5 months, got really into aerospace, did a bunch of work experience and applied. Then I spent a small proportion to go travelling and see my friends, now I'm planning to recap some of the maths I've forgotten before uni starts😁

Based on the fact u got a job for 5 months after results then applied im assuming you applied in January. If I apply in October (for Oxbridge) how can I show what I have done on my gap year in my ps?
Reply 23
Original post by SP09
Based on the fact u got a job for 5 months after results then applied im assuming you applied in January. If I apply in October (for Oxbridge) how can I show what I have done on my gap year in my ps?

I ended up applying in October, as my application was almost ready to begin with. So I just said what I was planning to do
Reply 24
Original post by Ajdj12
I ended up applying in October, as my application was almost ready to begin with. So I just said what I was planning to do

Alright thank you
I have not heard back from Bristol for aerospace engineering yet
Reply 26
Original post by Anonymous
I have not heard back from Bristol for aerospace engineering yet

Nor me - still on hold. Looks like even if we get an offer, we may well miss the offer holder day
Reply 27
Original post by Anonymous
I applied to Cambridge and Imperial for general/ aerospace engineering. You could call it overconfidence but I thought I would get at least 1 offer from either uni but I got rejected from both, by my own fault (I messed up the admission test/ interview). Now my next choice is Bristol but looking at some posts online is scaring me that I might not enjoy my time there? Specifically in terms of networking opportunities and academic stimulation as well as the reputation Bristol seems to have as a place where private school Oxbridge rejects go. Any response to my concerns especially from current Bristol Engineering students and will be helpful :smile: thanks

Hello. I'm a Mechanical Engineering student at Bristol uni. I'm going to start by saying that I don't know where that reputation came from, or why it still stands if it was ever true. Out of the hundreds of Engineering students I've met, I can count on my hands which ones were Oxbridge rejects. Most of us actually didn't even apply to Oxbridge because Bristol was our first choice.

For networking opportunities, you can look this up on Google. Bristol is one of the top universities for employment opportunities and networking. I'm only in first year, and I've been given many chances to grow a professional network and build a competitive CV. I recently visited the first electric Aerospace company in UK, and was able to speak one-on-one with many of the top executives. I've also been part of three major competitions, and I'm still just in first year. You get constant emails listing activities and competitions you can join to gain skills, and seminars/talks with top UK engineering companies. You also get an industry mentor and academic mentor to show you the ropes. There are endless opportunities for networking and professional growth.

For the academic stimulation, you'll have the freedom to learn things your own way, but it'll certainly be tasking. The amount of self-study might be a bit of a shock but they've made a blend of different learning methods and objectives to push students to challenge themselves. If the lessons aren't challenging enough, join the competitions. A recent one forced me to learn how to render animations in Fusion in two days. If that isn't stimulating, I don't know what is.

In summary, you'll have fun at Bristol. As long as you take advantage of the opportunities they give you, it's a treasure trove of exponential career growth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending