The Student Room Group

Accommodation Nightmare

Currently studying a PGCE course, which started earlier than undergraduates, and finishes later. For some reason the rent agreement ends 3 weeks before the end of the course, so we're just being kicked out onto the street despite having a month of our course left. Module convenor has communicated with accommodation service that this is ridiculous and now accommodation has said yes, you can extend your contract, but you have to move to a different building and it costs £1100 for 3 weeks rent.

I am a trainee teacher, I have been in my overdraft for 6 months, how do they expect me to do this. Mind you, I need to move to a different accommodation whilst teaching full time 4 days a week.

Any advice? I was considering just moving into a travelodge for as long as I can, £25 a night. Or a cheap room to rent somewhere that allows a one month contract.

I don't understand how this is legal, to be frank.
Original post by Cedgy_
Currently studying a PGCE course, which started earlier than undergraduates, and finishes later. For some reason the rent agreement ends 3 weeks before the end of the course, so we're just being kicked out onto the street despite having a month of our course left. Module convenor has communicated with accommodation service that this is ridiculous and now accommodation has said yes, you can extend your contract, but you have to move to a different building and it costs £1100 for 3 weeks rent.

I am a trainee teacher, I have been in my overdraft for 6 months, how do they expect me to do this. Mind you, I need to move to a different accommodation whilst teaching full time 4 days a week.

Any advice? I was considering just moving into a travelodge for as long as I can, £25 a night. Or a cheap room to rent somewhere that allows a one month contract.

I don't understand how this is legal, to be frank.

Legailty aside, my first port of call would be friends as it is just a short period. Yes its an awkward imposition, but a good friend would happy give you a home for 3 weeks, particularly as you'd be moving at the end of that period anyway so presumably would have accommodation organised for that period.

After that isnt getting you anywhere quickly I would advertise looking for a short stay sublet for 3 weeks. Ask other students, other renters, forums, newspaper etc. Lots of people lose a flatmate during term time and wind up having to share a large rent between fewer people and would be really happy to have you pick up that financial slack for 3 weeks. To sweeten the deal and cover the disruption you could offer them 4 weeks rent for the 3 weeks you intend to stay. Meet and interview people quickly in mutual places like cafe's (or be interviewed by them).

Bloody horrible situation and what a terrible time for such disruption! Pack wisely. Think long and hard about what needs to be readily accessible in that 3 week period and clearly mark any boxes containing those things. It will be a life saver!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending