The Student Room Group

Adult Dependant Grant rejection

I'm a mature domestic student with a widowed parent living in my home country. I applied for an ADG as I fully cover my unemployed, ill father's bills and basic food expenses with as much as I can with transfers of between £100 to £150 a month.

I just received a reply from Student finance that they rejected me because they "expected me" to spend at least £1500 in 12 months not the £1200 I did through bank transfers, adding that they don't acknowledge anything I gave him in cash (which I also do during visits, to save on international bank transfer costs).

The email said its per guidance on the .gov page, hyperlinking to a non existent or broken webpage.

As I could not find any such rule on the .gov page that states that a minimum of £1500 needs to be spent for ADG eligibility, is there anyone here who could confirm or advise?

Seems a bit counter intuitive that they basically say if you cant afford to support him with more funds, you don't need assistance at all.
Original post by SebastianH.
I'm a mature domestic student with a widowed parent living in my home country. I applied for an ADG as I fully cover my unemployed, ill father's bills and basic food expenses with as much as I can with transfers of between £100 to £150 a month.

I just received a reply from Student finance that they rejected me because they "expected me" to spend at least £1500 in 12 months not the £1200 I did through bank transfers, adding that they don't acknowledge anything I gave him in cash (which I also do during visits, to save on international bank transfer costs).

The email said its per guidance on the .gov page, hyperlinking to a non existent or broken webpage.

As I could not find any such rule on the .gov page that states that a minimum of £1500 needs to be spent for ADG eligibility, is there anyone here who could confirm or advise?

Seems a bit counter intuitive that they basically say if you cant afford to support him with more funds, you don't need assistance at all.
Hi there,

There isn't an exact figure that you're expected to send to a dependant. Instead, the assessors review every application on a case-by-case basis.

If you feel there's something the assessors haven't considered you can always write us a letter explaining your situation in as much detail as you cab.

You can then upload this to your account and it will be reviewed in around 15 working days.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Hi Graeme,

Thank you for your reply, that was my understanding as well.
That's why I was surprised by the rejection email stating the below:

"in order to qualify for ADG for your father, we would expect to see support valuing £1509.30 provided by yourself over a 12-month period".

I have been sending letters since September. If having a widowed, ill, financially dependent father wasn't enough for an adult dependent grant, I'm not sure what else I can say or do.

I know you don't have power over the rejection, I think I just needed to vent as this process has been ongoing for over half a year now, writing letters, asking others to write letters as proof, getting, filtering and filing bank statements, etc, just to be rejected over a criteria that seemingly came out of nowhere is a bit demoralising, hope you understand.

That said, apologies for the rant Graeme, thanks again for the reply and I hope you have a nice weekend
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by SebastianH.
Hi Graeme,

Thank you for your reply, that was my understanding as well.
That's why I was surprised by the rejection email stating the below:

"in order to qualify for ADG for your father, we would expect to see support valuing £1509.30 provided by yourself over a 12-month period".

I have been sending letters since September. If having a widowed, ill, financially dependent father wasn't enough for an adult dependent grant, I'm not sure what else I can say or do.

I know you don't have power over the rejection, I think I just needed to vent as this process has been ongoing for over half a year now, writing letters, asking others to write letters as proof, getting, filtering and filing bank statements, etc, just to be rejected over a criteria that seemingly came out of nowhere is a bit demoralising, hope you understand.

That said, apologies for the rant Graeme, thanks again for the reply and I hope you have a nice weekend
That's understandable, I'll pass your feedback on. Sorry you weren't awarded the grant despite the evidence you sent.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending