The Student Room Group

What is the meaning of life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by emm4nuella
so for those who are religious and may think that they will never find their true purpose in life, then does an afterlife give them comfort? also, what is a true purpose?
Ye i think religion and science goes hand in hand...
For me if we find all these scientific discoveries there must have been someone powerful who made it.. it cannot just happen by itself. I cant remember the quote but it was like 'religion is why and science is how'
Reply 61
If a person's religious beliefs involve thinking that God created humans, as in the Bible, then I do find that at odds with the science.

However, I can see why someone might be a scientist but also have a need for some form of religion or spiritualism.

**** *******s

Get money

Not much more than that innit.

In your opinion, what is the meaning of life? Why are we on this Earth? What's our purpose? Would love to hear your answers :smile:

I put it in the educational debate section originally because we can use our knowledge from school and academia to perhaps disagree/agree with someone's point (but philosophy is the perfect section methinks!!). Want to turn this into a debate as well ❤️
i personally think that the meaning of life is to complete your goals and not have any regrets of not doing something. being moral, and kind and helping the world out in any way possible.
Original post by literalgang101
i personally think that the meaning of life is to complete your goals and not have any regrets of not doing something. being moral, and kind and helping the world out in any way possible.
i love this ❤️
Reply 65
Original post by x-wing_pilot
maybe its cos we're replying to a message that has you tagged in it

I've rewatched and unwatched the thread, which seems to have done it.
Original post by zeasea
I've already been tagged in this thread and gotten notifications 3 times, now 4. Why do I keep getting notifications that I've been tagged again when I haven't?

Usually it's when the poster edits the post you're tagged in :smile:
There is no independent and free choice in meaning of life in my opinion. That is an illusion. The being influences our consiousness. According to where, how and who we are growing up, our decisions for own life is determined by the surrounding.
so almost like we are warped into this idea of a false consciousness that we don't have a meaning therefore we think we have to create a meaning for ourselves to give us a sense of purpose. so is the meaning of life to find a purpose?
Hmm I wouldn't describe it that way. I think that because there is no inherent meaning, we (as humans) find a purpose to create our own meaning and fill that void ourselves.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr

**** *******s

Get money

Not much more than that innit.

What if a great sum of money and the other thing were achieved? does life have still a meaning?
thanks for tagging me Emma!!

i think that ultimately if we remove everything else, we all just live for the purpose of making what’s best out of our time on earth for ourselves and the people we love.

e.g. most people spend ~1/4 of your life in school so that they can work so that they can support themselves and any children they may have. i think there really is no meaning to education if you just “go to school” your entire life unless you’re a researcher/teacher, in which case you’re also benefiting the world/educating future generations. and some people just want to improve life for everyone (here i think i’ll use activists as an example; like greta thunberg)
Original post by x-wing_pilot
In your opinion, what is the meaning of life? Why are we on this Earth? What's our purpose? Would love to hear your answers :smile:

I put it in the educational debate section because we can use our knowledge from school and academia to perhaps disagree/agree with someone's point. Want to turn this into a debate as well ❤️

I think that it is to pursue knowledge.
[Disclaimer: I don't think it matters what the knowledge is, i.e. I don't mean just STEM and whatnot. It can be knowledge in whatever field of life your true calling falls into, be it literature, acting, gardening, sport... I don't think that we as human beings would have these kinds of intrinsic drives and, literally, "callings" that beckon us, unless we were meant to pursue them with all our heart.]
I don't think that the whole universe, with all its vast unknowns and mysteries and improbabilities, would exist, and us, the only (as of yet) intelligent and self-aware life in it, if it wasn't our purpose to decipher as much as we can. I devour the subject of physics like it's my only food. I feel like I have to know or it will kill me. Why would I have these feelings if I wasn't meant to act on them?
I feel the same way about storytelling. I'm in many ways split between loving the world of hard science and the world of dreamy fiction. I love stories in all their forms; I consider myself a storyteller first, human second. It's a part of my that I cannot silence, even for a second, even more than my need for understanding of reality. Like my curiosity about the cosmos, it's such a deep-seated part of me that I sometimes think it controls me more than I control it.
Why would these feelings exist within humans, distracting or even preventing them from the perhaps biological 'purpose' of propagating the species as quickly and as much as possible, if we weren't purposed for the pursuit of them?

I'm interested- what is your calling? What do you consider your passion, what knowledge do you feel like you need more than anything?

This makes a lot of sense! We as a species are always searching for more knowledge and to explore and *know* everything.
Reply 72
Make money.
Reply 73

I put it in the educational debate section originally because we can use our knowledge from school and academia to perhaps disagree/agree with someone's point (but philosophy is the perfect section methinks!!). Want to turn this into a debate as well ❤️
I don't really believe that life itself holds a specific meaning to it. It is smth that we define by ourselves by our choices and unique thought process.
Interesting id say to be satisfied with what ur doing, who ur surrounded by and overall just to be happy and healthy
So, I think The meaning of life... It's kind of like asking, "What's the point of everything?" But hey, here's the deal: everybody sees it differently. Some folks think it's all about religion or spirituality, like finding your place in the grand scheme of things. Others say it's all about love, connections with people that make life meaningful.

Then there are those who think we're here to make our own meaning. You know, like creating our own adventures, chasing our dreams, and just living life to the fullest. It's like being the author of your own story.

And hey, some people say life's just a big ol' mystery. We're here, doing our thing, trying to figure it all out as we go. It's like being on a wild ride with no instruction manual!

So yeah, the meaning of life? It's kind of like a big buffet of ideas and perspectives. You pick what feels right for you and roll with it. After all, life's too short to stress too much about the meaning of it all, right? Just enjoy the ride and make the most of every moment!
Reply 76
Our universe is perfectly orderly. Countless billions of stars and galaxies move in their separate orbits yet in total harmony. Galaxies consisting of almost 300 billion stars flow through each other and, to everyone's astonishment, during this gigantic transition no collisions occur. Such order cannot be attributed to coincidence. What is more, the velocities of objects in the universe are beyond the limits of man's imagination. The physical dimensions of outer space are enormous when compared to the measurements we employ on earth. Stars and planets, with masses of billions or trillions of tons, and galaxies, with sizes that can only be grasped with the help of mathematical formulae, all whirl along their particular paths in space at incredible velocities.

Hey lovely , tbh to answer your question lemme give some backstory so I believe in god and I do believe there is a purpose in life . God put us on this earth for a reason, to express gratitude have happy moments and cherish the beauty that is on this world but ultimately to worship him.
I believe this life is a test. A very temporary test that god created due to what happened in the story of Adam and Eve ( won’t go too in depth ) so yes I think life is a test hence why it isn’t perfect, if life was perfect there would be no different between life and heaven right ? So that’s why I believe we go through adversity trail and tribulations in order to make us stronger and to test us. Those that do good, respect everyone, give to the less fortunate, and sinners who repent will go to heaven . Heaven is the ultimate destination in my opinion
Original post by koolkhad
Ye i think religion and science goes hand in hand...
For me if we find all these scientific discoveries there must have been someone powerful who made it.. it cannot just happen by itself. I cant remember the quote but it was like 'religion is why and science is how'

I completely agree with you, I believe science and religion go hand in hand aswell . If there was no god there would be no science as science is a concept made from something bigger than what humans can comprehend
I think it depends what perspective you’re looking at it from! Biologically, I’d argue the purpose is to reproduce to continue the human race, and live a long life in order to do so.

As someone who isn’t religious, I believe we all have our own ‘’purpose’’ or meaning we give to life. I think that’s where things people are innately good at come into play! For instance, someone could be a natural hard-worker - and I believe it’s their ‘’calling’’ to work hard at whatever they wish to. However, I think it’s our lifelong responsibility to create happiness (both for ourselves, and those we care for) - or at least that’s the meaning I give to life.

Someone mentioned it earlier, and I do think, as humans, we want there to be a meaning to things we do - we want there to be answers, and maybe there isn’t always one.

At least, that’s my take on it anyway 🤍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending