The Student Room Group

Scared to go on a date

I know this sounds silly but whenever I get the chance to go on a date I freak out- I don’t feel like going in case I disappoint the person I’m on a date with.

I’m quite shy and worry I’ll have nothing to talk about
Original post by Anonymous #1
I know this sounds silly but whenever I get the chance to go on a date I freak out- I don’t feel like going in case I disappoint the person I’m on a date with.

This is so exciting hehe just have fun if u think abt it the worst that can happen is it’s awkward and u don’t meet again. Just try and think of topics that link to the current convo topic and u should be good. Maybe think of questions u could ask and be prepared.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Well put it this way... they'll be more disappointed that they didn't get to go out with you in the first place. Backing out and cancelling a date at the last minute is just downright rude :tongue:

In order to prevent that, maybe pick a date where the two of you are actually doing something together (maybe a pub quiz; a game of pool; even one of those places where you make your own teddy bears lol). Doesn't matter what it is, but the activity will provide a safe talking point and a welcome distraction to any uncomfortable silences.

When talking, it's always good to take an interest in their lives and things they do. I find the FOREplay mnemonic is a good thing for those "getting to know you" type chit-chats, I'll explain:-

F= Family:- Ask about where they're from (can be city or country of origin), how many brothers and sisters etc.
O= Occupation:- What do they do or want to do as a living? Is it "just a job", a career or a passion?
R= Recreation:- What are their hobbies / interests? how long have they been doing them, are they any good? Can also talk about whatever's trending on TV these days (e.g. latest Reality TV craze; the EastEnders Vs Coronation Street debate etc.).
E= Education:- Where did they go to school or University, were they happy or bad days etc.

The key thing is to seem pleasantly intrigued by them without coming across as "nosey" or like you're giving them the Spanish Inquisition.
(edited 1 month ago)
You should view it as you being the disappointment!! You need to alter this mindset. You are going to see if YOU like the person, not if they like you. And it is scary but the more you do it, the better you will get and know what you want. And ultimately it may be a little awkward, but if the vibe isn’t there then you don’t have to see them again? It’s hard not to make it a big deal, but it really isn’t and the other person will probably be nervous and focussing on themself too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending