The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Hatfield of Collingwood

Dear All,

I have got an offer to read Engineering and am deciding on colleges now. I have narrowed it down to Hatfield and Collingwood and was wondering if anyone could give me pointers as I’m not sure which one I would prefer. Google maps says that Hatfield is 18 minutes from the engineering building and Collingwood 14, however this doesn’t seem correct. I enjoy my sport so Collingwood seems like a better fit, but not sure about the more alpha nature that comes with a sporty college, I don’t mind the Hatfield reputation that it gets so that doesn’t need to be a factor. If there are any things I’m missing please let me know.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Dear All,

I have got an offer to read Engineering and am deciding on colleges now. I have narrowed it down to Hatfield and Collingwood and was wondering if anyone could give me pointers as I’m not sure which one I would prefer. Google maps says that Hatfield is 18 minutes from the engineering building and Collingwood 14, however this doesn’t seem correct. I enjoy my sport so Collingwood seems like a better fit, but not sure about the more alpha nature that comes with a sporty college, I don’t mind the Hatfield reputation that it gets so that doesn’t need to be a factor. If there are any things I’m missing please let me know.
Hi there

Both colleges aren't too far away from the engineering building, although Collingwood is closer.

Collingwood does have a more sporty vibe and has great facilities like football fields, which Hatfield doesn't. But you'll have access to the Maiden Castle Sports Centre irrespective of your college, so I don't think it's a very weighty factor. I'm not sure what you mean by the alpha nature but I doubt it's something limited to Collingwood because people from other colleges can have that attitude as well, even if they don't play sports. I've met some really nice people from Collingwood and not everyone plays sports there anyway so I don't think this is something to worry about.

There are some differences between the two colleges:

Hatfield is gowned while Collingwood isn't so decide which one you have a preference for.

Look into their other facilities- I know the Collingwood bar and JCR space are super cool (I'm from South but prefer Collingwood in this regard). If you're considering joining the gym, maybe look into how big they are and what machines they have. Also currently, Collingwood gym membership costs £30 while Hatfield's is £40.

JCR membership prices may also vary for both colleges, so worth checking which one is cheaper. If you can't find the details online, you can DM their Instagram accounts.

They will also have different scholarships and bursaries- Collingwood; Hatfield.

Ultimately, you can rank up to 16 colleges so I'd suggest you make them both your top choice so that if you can't get your first choice, they know what your second preference is. Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest