The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Accommodation

Hi, I’m enrolling for law as of September 2021. I’ve been assigned to Hatfield college, some people are telling me it’s abysmal and downright miserable. Are there any other colleges that are better, hopefully en-suite ones. Pls give me some recommendations I’m kinda getting desperate ;-;
You won't be able to change anyway. Hatfield seems quite nice in my opinion. People will always have bad things to say about a place.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Lowkeystupid
Hi, I’m enrolling for law as of September 2021. I’ve been assigned to Hatfield college, some people are telling me it’s abysmal and downright miserable. Are there any other colleges that are better, hopefully en-suite ones. Pls give me some recommendations I’m kinda getting desperate ;-;

Maybe you'll get reallocated tomorrow but if not you won't be able to switch I don't think, not unless you have specific disability needs.
Original post by studygirl388
Hi,

My original first choice of college (UCAS) was Hatfield but I changed to St Mary's (partly due to the reputation, for my own wellbeing not because I care what others think, but mainly because I genuinely preferred St Mary's after I had done some more research).

I know there is an overwhelming amount of stuff online about how Hatfield is disliked due to upper-class snobbery and a lack of diversity, but I have certainly read good things about the college and people who go there have also stated that they are from a working-class background, if this is something that concerns you in particular.

I think you should try to focus on the positives and ignore the reputation it gets. It's right in the city centre, near the cathedral, the buildings look really charming in my opinion and it's likely that you will settle in just fine.

As someone has already said, I don't think they will allow you to be reallocated elsewhere.

Yeah Honestly although it's got an upper-class reputation, it's still going to be somewhat diverse as not all people get their first choice anyway! Some people will get reallocated from some of the modern colleges to Hatfield to keep the subject distribution even throughout all colleges. I'd be disappointed if I get reallocated from my first choice next week, but I doubt it'll be a deal breaker. If you are really really worried, you could opt for private accommodation, but that won't be the same as living in college managed.
Original post by studygirl388
Hi,

My original first choice of college (UCAS) was Hatfield but I changed to St Mary's (partly due to the reputation, for my own wellbeing not because I care what others think, but mainly because I genuinely preferred St Mary's after I had done some more research).

I know there is an overwhelming amount of stuff online about how Hatfield is disliked due to upper-class snobbery and a lack of diversity, but I have certainly read good things about the college and people who go there have also stated that they are from a working-class background, if this is something that concerns you in particular.

I think you should try to focus on the positives and ignore the reputation it gets. It's right in the city centre, near the cathedral, the buildings look really charming in my opinion and it's likely that you will settle in just fine.

As someone has already said, I don't think they will allow you to be reallocated elsewhere.

That’s very true, gotta be optimistic :P
Original post by novamelody
Yeah Honestly although it's got an upper-class reputation, it's still going to be somewhat diverse as not all people get their first choice anyway! Some people will get reallocated from some of the modern colleges to Hatfield to keep the subject distribution even throughout all colleges. I'd be disappointed if I get reallocated from my first choice next week, but I doubt it'll be a deal breaker. If you are really really worried, you could opt for private accommodation, but that won't be the same as living in college managed.

Anything I should watch out for going to Hatfield, would it be possible to land a en-suite room as a first year? I don’t think its possible but eh
Don't worry about it - every single college has people of all backgrounds. Hating on Hatfield is an amusing pastime for students, it isn't a serious dislike in 99.99% of cases. It is just banter in almost every case. Anyone telling you otherwise is either lying or clueless.

Hatfield's site is very nice as far as the colleges go and has a great location, right near the centre of town.
Reply 7

Hey there, could you please let me know the process of allocation?? When can I aspect the university to assign me an accommodation?
Reply 8

Hi, wondering how you got on and whether looking back (if you're in Hatfield now) it hasn't been as bad as you expected.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey there, could you please let me know the process of allocation?? When can I aspect the university to assign me an accommodation?

Hiya

The provisional college allocations have already been made for offer holders. Once your college is confirmed after results day, they will send out a room preference form and you'll likely have a finalised college and type of room by late August.

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest