The Student Room Group

How to revise maths?

I know that the answer is practice, but when I do a past paper I always manage to forget the long/complicated answers, so when I come back to it to practice I’ve already forgotten how to do it. How do I stop this?
Original post by hellode
I know that the answer is practice, but when I do a past paper I always manage to forget the long/complicated answers, so when I come back to it to practice I’ve already forgotten how to do it. How do I stop this?
Try and identify which topics you struggle with especially first which is a good base to find out what you spend your time on. Most topics can only be asked in so many ways and each topic can be asked with a similar-ish method.

My advice would be when you come across a question you struggle with and write a short guide on how to answer it once you've read the mark scheme, trying to be as general as possible so it can be used in other questions. Then if you come across a similar question, you might just remember the method from writing it down or if not you can look back at your notes. Slowly but surely you'll get better and better and you'll stop having to rely on your notes so often.

For longer maths questions they also like the link topics together so a lot of the harder questions first require you to identify what topics/methods you need to use to answer the question, this is a skill in itself which will come with practice but you could add common links between methods in your guides plus any tips you notice from answering similar questions.

Hope that helps!! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest