The Student Room Group

HELP retaking lnat, reapplying for law next year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moon060108
Hi, does anyone think it's worth it for me to reapply for law next year. I applied to oxford, UCL, LSE, Cardiff and bristol this year, and got rejected from the first 3. I have an offer from cardiff, no reply from bristol yet but i'm not too worried about them.
The reason for UCL's rejected was because my lnat score was judged to be not as competitive as the other applicants, and i'm set on UCL, like I don't want to give it up if my lnat was the reason i got rejected cus im willing to retake the lnat and reapply but is it worth it?
honestly if i reapply, because of Oxford and LSE's rejection i definitely wont reapply to them next cycle so it'd probably be UCL, KCL, cardiff, bristol and exeter or QMUL. And i'm not too against a gap year either.
I'm predicted A*A*A and got 25 on my lnat this time, is it a good idea to reapply and aim for a higher lnat score?

Hi! We are literally in the exact same boat right now, I just got rejected from UCL, and im considering re-applying since UCL is my dream and all I've been set on since year 8. My LNAT score was 25, 3 A*s at predicted and mostly 9's and 8's at GCSE's. The reason they gave me was that my essay wasn't as competitive as others - meaning that I got through the other stages and it was just my essay that let me down. I have an offer from Durham currently, although I know for sure that I don't want to go. Idk if I should firm it and go to durham or if I should take my chances and apply to UCL again next year 😕
Original post by poppy2022
I'm not saying you shouldn't take a gap year, but if you plan on taking one solely to try and get into UCL, I'd warn against it. I'm a first year at LSE but also applied to UCL last application season and got rejected. For context, I was predicted 3 A*s, had achieved nine grade 9s & four grade 8s at GCSE, had an LNAT score of 34 and had won both international and national Law essay competitions (so I doubt the quality of writing in my personal statement would have been the problem). My situation is not uncommon whatsoever - I know multiple people who are studying Law at Cambridge who also had very high stats but got rejected. Because universities like UCL/LSE/KCL are so oversubscribed, they reject perfectly capable applicants every year. Therefore, if you do decide to reapply, don't do so because of one university. Also, I'd suggest applying for less competitive universities which are still very highly ranked in the next application pool, namely Durham. Durham tends to be a lot more consistent with their applications. Leeds and Nottingham also have strong law departments/reputations.
Also, I would definitely wait for Bristol to get back to you before making any permanent decisions. If you do get in, I would advise that you take it instead of reapplying with the hopes of going to somewhere 'better'. Bristol has a very good Law school that has almost as good of a reputation as UCL.

Hi! I have an offer from durham but honestly, I think I'd rather just stay in the city since durham is wayyy too far away for me - do you think its worth me re-applying to UCL next year, maybe even attempt some US unis?
Original post by lovrcide
Hi! I have an offer from durham but honestly, I think I'd rather just stay in the city since durham is wayyy too far away for me - do you think its worth me re-applying to UCL next year, maybe even attempt some US unis?

To be perfectly honest you are very inconsistent. Durham is too far at a couple of hundred miles for you but then you talk about applying to a US university thousands of miles away. Durham will take 3 hours. Ant US university a minimum of 7 and possibly 12 hours. It really doesnt make sense. Durham is one of the best UK universities.

It's hard for me to say without knowing much about you as an individual. If you don't think that you'd be happy at Durham due to the distinct culture there, that is a valid consideration and you may want to consider taking a gap year. However, I'd recommend thinking through where else you'd apply apart from UCL. I imagine you'd also be looking to apply to KCL and LSE, but are there other universities close-ish to London that you could consider such as Birmingham and Nottingham? You may also want to consider applying to Queen Mary, as they tend to be more consistent with their admissions too. Essentially, before deciding whether or not to take a gap year, I'd recommend thinking through the potential outcomes of reapplying and whether you'd be happy with them. UCL/KCL/LSE are all very competitive and have to turn down great applicants each year, so it could well be the case you'd have to go for somewhere like Queen Mary/Birmingham/Nottingham/wherever else you'd be applying. Think about if you'd be happy with accepting one of these schools, or if you would end up regretting not accepting Durham. That is a personal consideration you have to take and if you really don't like the vibe of Durham, it's better to go somewhere lower ranked but still decent than be miserable for three years.

The above is not to say that you wouldn't get into UCL/KCL/LSE, just that it would be completely impossible to say, especially as you wouldn't know your LNAT score for a while. Also if you do take a gap year, you'd have to work on improving your LNAT score to 27 at the very minimum to give yourself the best chance at admission. This isn't impossible as you're not too far off, but it's something to consider.

Also, regardless of whether you decide to take a gap year, I recommend accepting the offers you have just in case you end of changing your mind post-results day. You can always reject the place in August if you're still set on reapplying elsewhere.

I applied to some of the Ivies in the US and can assure you that it takes up a lot of energy. The top US schools all have acceptance rates of around 2-3% each year, meaning they turn away even more capable applicants than the London unis. Additionally, applying to each individual institution costs around $80, although there is the option to waive this if you meet certain criteria. Unless you are already on a program like the Sutton Trust, go to a school that has a US admissions officer or can afford to get a US admissions tutor online, I would strongly consider whether applying to the US is worth it as you really have to know the system to have a good shot. Additionally, the top 20 US unis will place a lot of emphasis on grand extracurricular activities like running a 5-figure charity/company, gaining mass support for your own campaign, internships in top companies or publishing a book. While these things might sound crazy, unless you have at least one extracurricular on this scale, you stand very little chance at beating the tiny admissions rates. This is coming from someone who held multiple school leadership positions, raised over £7000 for charity, won international and national essay competitions, was a local youth councillor and was still rejected from every place I applied to in the US.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
To be perfectly honest you are very inconsistent. Durham is too far at a couple of hundred miles for you but then you talk about applying to a US university thousands of miles away. Durham will take 3 hours. Ant US university a minimum of 7 and possibly 12 hours. It really doesnt make sense. Durham is one of the best UK universities.

I said maybe, obviously not set on it or anything - also I have family in the US. The main reason why durham is too far for me is because its too far from my family, not far from where I live in general.
Reply 25
Original post by poppy2022
I'm not saying you shouldn't take a gap year, but if you plan on taking one solely to try and get into UCL, I'd warn against it. I'm a first year at LSE but also applied to UCL last application season and got rejected. For context, I was predicted 3 A*s, had achieved nine grade 9s & four grade 8s at GCSE, had an LNAT score of 34 and had won both international and national Law essay competitions (so I doubt the quality of writing in my personal statement would have been the problem). My situation is not uncommon whatsoever - I know multiple people who are studying Law at Cambridge who also had very high stats but got rejected. Because universities like UCL/LSE/KCL are so oversubscribed, they reject perfectly capable applicants every year. Therefore, if you do decide to reapply, don't do so because of one university. Also, I'd suggest applying for less competitive universities which are still very highly ranked in the next application pool, namely Durham. Durham tends to be a lot more consistent with their applications. Leeds and Nottingham also have strong law departments/reputations.
Also, I would definitely wait for Bristol to get back to you before making any permanent decisions. If you do get in, I would advise that you take it instead of reapplying with the hopes of going to somewhere 'better'. Bristol has a very good Law school that has almost as good of a reputation as UCL.

Durham does not seem to be consistent with my experience, I have 3 A* predicted, raised thousands of pounds for charities nationally and internationally, 32 LNAT, A in EPQ, 1 month of work exp, taught A level law in my school outside of class hours as a club as the student curriculum leader, read Law Society Gazette daily and a book, wrote a 10,000 word document on the English Legal System, helped out at open events, participated in extra curriculars within my school by joining a club and got rejected due to my LNAT essay (which I know was very good as Cambridge had no issue with it, but I got rejected from Cambridge as well but I can talk about that all day). There is nothing more I could have done and it is actually painful. My PS and reference highlighted all of these things as well and linked them back to qualities which I have as well.
Hi! We are literally in the exact same boat right now, I just got rejected from UCL, and im considering re-applying since UCL is my dream and all I've been set on since year 8. My LNAT score was 25, 3 A*s at predicted and mostly 9's and 8's at GCSE's. The reason they gave me was that my essay wasn't as competitive as others - meaning that I got through the other stages and it was just my essay that let me down. I have an offer from Durham currently, although I know for sure that I don't want to go. Idk if I should firm it and go to durham or if I should take my chances and apply to UCL again next year 😕

OMG PLS KEEP KE UPDATED WHEN U FINALLY DECIDE

I'm going to Bristol and Cardiff's offer holder days soon but honestly I think I am going to reapply
I'm going to Bristol and Cardiff's offer holder days soon but honestly I think I am going to reapply

HII OFC I WILL 🙏 i’m still waiting to here back from a uni so hopefully i get in there 😭

No gap year needed anymore!! Just got into a london uni so i’m feeling good <3 wishing you all the best omg defo keep me updated with what you decide on!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending