The Student Room Group

Exam stress and revision trouble

I'm starting to feel really stressed about exams. It's my easter holidays now and I've been trying to do a bit everyday but I didn't really make revision resources last year (i'm in year 13) and I feel like I'm wasting time by making them. I've mainly been making them for English Literature and physics. I feel like at this point I should already know everything and be doing past papers. I feel so unorganised and feel like I'm going to break down any minute. I don't want to take a break either because I feel like I will be even more behind.
Original post by 888ella
I'm starting to feel really stressed about exams. It's my easter holidays now and I've been trying to do a bit everyday but I didn't really make revision resources last year (i'm in year 13) and I feel like I'm wasting time by making them. I've mainly been making them for English Literature and physics. I feel like at this point I should already know everything and be doing past papers. I feel so unorganised and feel like I'm going to break down any minute. I don't want to take a break either because I feel like I will be even more behind.

Hi there,

I would recommend you to make a revision timetable for during your half-term break. It doesn't have to be full days of work, the point of revising is to keep yourself engaged in the subject whilst not having lessons. I would normally do 30mins-1hour of studying in each subject you do a day. This would help me organise myself with what topics to look at and refresh myself on so I can create revision cards/posters to help solidify the information I was looking at.

What also helped me was finding a family member to teach a topic too (if they were willing!). The best way to learn is by teaching, if you can teach or inform someone else about a specific topic then it creates different pathways in the brain and makes information easier to retrieve. This really helped me when I was revising.

You have to do what's right for you at the end of the day but hopefully a couple of these pointers you find helpful. One big thing I would say as well is to try and not stress yourself out, which is easier said than done, but don't worry right now about what you haven't done - look at what you can do to gain a bit of confidence first and then look at topics where you are more unsure of in a week or two. Proving you do know things can kickstart that positive mindset that's needed for any studying. All anybody can ask is that you do your best, and if you are then the results will come.

You can always speak with your teachers too about useful strategies and/or asking for additional work/past work.

Good luck with your studying and I hope some of this helps.

Ethan

Quick Reply

Latest