The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

didgeridoo12uk
aparantly its 95%

got told by addmission tutors, its fairly common knowledge

It probably changes a fair bit from year to year.
It's always roughly about that though. It's because this year there has been such an increase in applications they are having to deselect more people to interview.
Reply 22
Nina
It's always roughly about that though. It's because this year there has been such an increase in applications they are having to deselect more people to interview.

Has there been a big increase?

Last year there were 48 applications for St John's for History, this year about 25 of us were there for interview. Does that mean about 25 didn't get one?
Reply 23
LH123
I don't actually tell people this fact though. :smile:

actually, for medicine oxford interview only 30% of applicants. for other subjects, its like 70-80% though!
Reply 24
Noémie
ooh i know, oxford interviews basically everybody as well - complete lack of pride :p: same with ucl actually :|

No, Oxford interviews much less applicants. I've seen figures from as low as 30% to 80%, but never above that. Cambridge always seems to be around 95%.
Reply 25
MadMatt
No, Oxford interviews much less applicants. I've seen figures from as low as 30% to 80%, but never above that. Cambridge always seems to be around 95%.

in THAT case, i feel proud :p:
Reply 26
I read on the unofficial prospectus that 10% get deselected before interview then there was something about 20% being put straight into the pool but I didn't really understand that bit since everyone always says they interview 95% of applicants...
Reply 27
I think they may have been pooled, but the college didn't want to interview them.
Reply 28
Yeeep, the large number of applicants this year has meant an increase in the number of deselected candidates - there's just not enough time to interview everybody.
Reply 29
OP - few of the people on this thread have much clue at all what they are talking about, and none know for certain they are right.

If you want accurate information, then a phone call to the admissions office asking for clarification is a good idea - they can't reasonably begrudge your friend wanting a little more explanation of her position.
dumbdunc
Has there been a big increase?

Last year there were 48 applications for St John's for History, this year about 25 of us were there for interview. Does that mean about 25 didn't get one?

Hi, i applied for history at johns too. Just wondering, how did you know 25 people were there, is that official, or just the number who were there when you were?
Reply 31
gallopingsnail
Hi, i applied for history at johns too. Just wondering, how did you know 25 people were there, is that official, or just the number who were there when you were?

They uh left a register with everyone who applied for any subject to St John's this year in the JCR...

So, naturally we went through and counted all the History applicants :smile: It was about 25.

What days were you there?
Reply 32
Noémie
95%

which i never understood because i thought they only interviewed those with 90% and over ums as marks?

You are probably thinking of the infamous "automatic pool". :smile:
dumbdunc
They uh left a register with everyone who applied for any subject to St John's this year in the JCR...

So, naturally we went through and counted all the History applicants :smile: It was about 25.

What days were you there?

Excellent, at least thats alot less than last year!
Wednesday, and left after an interview on Thursday morning. How did you find it all?
Reply 34
gallopingsnail
Excellent, at least thats alot less than last year!
Wednesday, and left after an interview on Thursday morning. How did you find it all?

Hmm I won't have seen you then!

The college is fantastic, lol. I was trying to avoid any attchment/future disappointment but that failed! My interviews went ok I think, hard to tell though.

You?
I know, its so nice, all the undergrads were great too....really hope it works out! Yeah, it was really hard to tell, im just so glad they are over and done with!
hmm, well not to scare anyone or anything, but at last years economics dinner my DoS told us that last year they had binned everyone who didn't get at least 90% in all their AS levels striaght away before interview...
punkrockisfreedom
hmm, well not to scare anyone or anything, but at last years economics dinner my DoS told us that last year they had binned everyone who didn't get at least 90% in all their AS levels striaght away before interview...

Really? I suppose this differs by college/subject etc. I got an interview with 89% average and my friend was interviewed today, and he got 241/300 in the subjecy he applied for, when it's 240 points for an A. And that was with 2 resits.
punkrockisfreedom

But they still interviewed them?
Reply 39
punkrockisfreedom

How is that helpful to anyone?

Latest

Trending

Trending