The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I was loving A levels up until a few weeks ago, but all we seem to do now is past papers and stick rigidly to the syllabus, it's just like GCSEs again.
Reply 61
Try paying for your A levels using your own savings (goodbye my lovely mortgage deposit), struggling to self-teach and losing all motivation. That's my current situation, what I'd give to be 16 again and have access to free college education!
Reply 62
Yep,hate them....mainly coz I hate the people at school though....so looking forward to leaving in two yrs time:yep:
Reply 63
i actually have 3 awesome teachers the others are ok but they make it ok and worth living through lessons.
Reply 64
A-levels are so much better than GCSEs!

I mean, they still aren't great, but the syllabuses (or should that be syllabi?) are so much more interesting, smaller groups, teachers treat you better, generally I much prefer sixth form to lower school. It's not that great, just better than before.

I still wish I was doing IB though, I miss Maths and kind of miss Biology too :frown:
Well I can safely say I agree with most of the stuff people are saying in this thread. :yep:

Last year (AS year) was a really good year for me. It was such a nice change from GCSEs and I was motivated all the way through and got good results at the end of it.

But this year has been pretty poor thus far. The workload has been pretty mental, and it will be savage over Christmas (I have 6A2 exams in Jan). Some of the teachers have been getting on my nerves and right the way through this term I have had 2 bits of coursework hanging over me - both of which still haven't been completed.
Yeahh... A-Levels suck :frown:
My first exam is exactly a month away.. I misss GCSE's :s-smilie:
It's good to see so many people share the:
"Stop setting me silly homeworks I'm trying to learn the course" view. I thought I was the only one.
Reply 68
EierVonSatan
And when you get to university you'll probably have the ''Stop setting me hoop jumping assessments just for the sake of it, I'm trying to get a deep understanding of the subject'' :cool:

+1
Reply 69
I am sick and tired of A-levels. Chem teacher can't teach and we have to do everything ourselves. Bio teacher gave us coursework in summer and was supposed to tell us what to do in sept. so far we haven't been told anything about it. I am in A2 so fortunately I have only few more months :smile: but seems like a lifetime :frown:
Reply 70
1 out of my eight teachers for AS is good... On the first the day this stupid woman made us sit in register order :confused:... Hate sixthform. But I expected the work load, so it aint that shocking tbh...

However, studying is just not for me...I don't even wanna go uni... Want my degree and masters and just get into a good fun job!
A Stranger in Moscow
I'm in my 3rd year of doing them. Sympathy please?!

Don't get me wrong but why are you re-sitting?
Do you want sympathy for re-sitting?
EierVonSatan
And when you get to university you'll probably have the ''Stop setting me hoop jumping assessments just for the sake of it, I'm trying to get a deep understanding of the subject'' :cool:

I'm hoping in engineering that they just let me bang a hammer for prolonged periods :smile:
Reply 73
Sick of Biology. Meh
Reply 74
EierVonSatan

I think the Chemistry help forum is evidence that you did develop a deep understanding of the subject :p:
Reply 75
I prefered school to college. There was more of a social side and A-levels are just a harder memory test than GCSE. DO NOT TAKE PSYCHOLOGY! Biggest disappointment ever. It's not a subject just an exam in how to memorise studies and link them together. I'm having a really tough time in bothering to turn up these days. It's because it's all group revision etc before the exams and I feel I do that better on my own anyway.
i'd love to be back in yr12/13

was quite easily one of the best times of my life! you have nearly 0 pressure put on you apart from around exams. you dont have to pay for, well nearly anything at all. you do basically no work etc etc
Reply 77
Well coming from the university perspective i wish i was still doing my a-levels. Everything is so much more straight forward at that level. If you think you're stressed now just wait untill degree!! Sure the first year is a cakewalk, but then you're thrown into the deep end.
Reply 78
Bubbles*de*Milo
The first yr is not the doss people make it out to be.

Whilst it definitely isn't a doss year the pressure is off compared to the exam years before and the degree years after. I spent a lot of time in the library researching my essays in the first year compared to many course mates and i thoroughly enjoyed it, but now that it's not only expected but required it becomes a chore and soul destroying. Still, must be doing somthing right as on target for a first. Whether i'll pick up another novel ever again after i graduate is another thing entirely!
flowerness
Don't get me wrong but why are you re-sitting?
Do you want sympathy for re-sitting?

I'm not resitting, I'm doing Biology and Chemistry because I need them.

Latest