The Student Room Group

Cancer Research UK Graduate Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc:)
How did you find it? I found the word limit really challenging. There was so much I wanted to talk about haha

Hello :smile:

I also applied, but quite a while ago.

It was quite hard to fit everything in though, I agree. It's also a bit tough to decide what exactly they're looking for other than the usual graduate stuff.

Got the email a day or two ago saying they're beginning to look at them now it;'s closed so thought I would check the thread.

Hope everybody shares how they got on and when they hear back, and I'll be sure to do the same.
Reply 241
Original post by Historicity
Hello :smile:

I also applied, but quite a while ago.

It was quite hard to fit everything in though, I agree. It's also a bit tough to decide what exactly they're looking for other than the usual graduate stuff.

Got the email a day or two ago saying they're beginning to look at them now it;'s closed so thought I would check the thread.

Hope everybody shares how they got on and when they hear back, and I'll be sure to do the same.

Me too! An idea when we will hear back? What other schemes are you applying to?

Late December at worst, I think you might hear a week earlier or so if you were one of the first to submit.

And just general ones like NHS, Civil Service, Treasury, a few random companies etc.

Yourself?

Are you a graduate or undergrad? I just graduated so I'm impatient :P
Reply 243
Original post by Historicity
Late December at worst, I think you might hear a week earlier or so if you were one of the first to submit.

And just general ones like NHS, Civil Service, Treasury, a few random companies etc.

Yourself?

Are you a graduate or undergrad? I just graduated so I'm impatient :P

Civil Service also, Explore Learning, NGDP... Explore Learning is the only private sector one I'm going for, I know public sector and charity jobs have corporate aspects to them but in general I am not about the corporate life... :P that does make it difficult as there are sooo many private sector graduate schemes

I went for the Wellcome Trust as well, and looked into the Civil Service but the timings didn't work out very well for me on that one. Not really sure what other options I have - grad schemes are so hard to find if they're not going out and advertising themselves and certainly at my university, it's very much geared towards the science/business/law-type things above anything else!

Good luck to everyone as well!
Reply 245
Original post by clonedmemories
I went for the Wellcome Trust as well, and looked into the Civil Service but the timings didn't work out very well for me on that one. Not really sure what other options I have - grad schemes are so hard to find if they're not going out and advertising themselves and certainly at my university, it's very much geared towards the science/business/law-type things above anything else!

Good luck to everyone as well!

Wow I'd never heard of the Wellcome trust one! Why aren't these things better advertised? At jobs fairs it's always the army, MI5 and companies like Amazon, HSBC etc :frown:
Reply 246
Found out I got through the initial stage to do the video! Anyone else at the same stage??
Yeah i got the same, trying to work out what sort of questions will be at the video stage though :s-smilie: any ideas?
Got rejected already. Crushed. Thought that was by far my strongest application of everything I've applied to, so not holding out any hope for the others.

Time to start looking for alternatives for next year now...
Reply 249
Got rejected already. Crushed. Thought that was by far my strongest application of everything I've applied to, so not holding out any hope for the others.

You know this company only has around one place per scheme right?

I'm also out! I'm sure there is a good alternative for you!! Chin up :smile:
Which streams has everyone applied for? I haven't heard yet, hoping this is good news...
Hi everyone what sort of questions are asked in the video interview??
Reply 253

You never know, last year [I didn't get either obviously] I did what I thought was a terrible phone interview for the police, and got through, and what I thought was an amazing application for IntoUniversity, and didn't get through. It just depends, don't write off your other options yet.

Original post by potatoesbcf
Yeah i got the same, trying to work out what sort of questions will be at the video stage though :s-smilie: any ideas?

Have you done it? I just finished. I had work experience as the practice question, and an achievement I am proud of / what CRUK should do with government as the two real questions. I dunno if it's the same for everyone. If it is I'm seriously helping people out who haven't done it yet!!!

I think my answers were good but I spoke too quickly and had time left at the end, will that matter? [I pressed stop I didn't just sit there lmao]
I applied for scientific strategy and funding stream so i doubt ill have the same questions but thank you anyway! Best of luck to you hope you get in!
You never know, last year [I didn't get either obviously] I did what I thought was a terrible phone interview for the police, and got through, and what I thought was an amazing application for IntoUniversity, and didn't get through. It just depends, don't write off your other options yet.

Have you done it? I just finished. I had work experience as the practice question, and an achievement I am proud of / what CRUK should do with government as the two real questions. I dunno if it's the same for everyone. If it is I'm seriously helping people out who haven't done it yet!!!

I think my answers were good but I spoke too quickly and had time left at the end, will that matter? [I pressed stop I didn't just sit there lmao]

I've completed the interview for the policy and communications stream, is that the one you applied to? It's one of those where I don't think it went great, but it didn't go awful. I wonder when they'll get back to us.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 256
The email I received said I would be asked ONE question regarding why I should be selected for scientific strategy and funding scheme which would take 90seconds. However, the process takes 20 minutes overall suggesting there may be more questions asked? Can anyone explain the process of the video interview in more detail? Thank you!
Wish I had seen this yesterday! Haha. Just did my video, same questions - am applying for Policy and Comms. I think mine went quite badly tbh... Just have to wait until February now...
Original post by Stanford1990
Wish I had seen this yesterday! Haha. Just did my video, same questions - am applying for Policy and Comms. I think mine went quite badly tbh... Just have to wait until February now...

Same ha ha. How do you know we won't find out until February?! Thought it would be a few weeks.
Reply 259
I had work experience as the practice question, and an achievement I am proud of / what CRUK should do with government as the two real questions.

Ah, you're a life saver posting this. I prepared a thousand questions for tomorrow but not 'what the CRUK should do with govt.' - Could I ask what the question was specifically? Going to be taking mine first thing in the morning!

Thanks! And good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest