The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick First Year Maths-Past paper questions

I know there are plenty of math students on here, and I also know there are limited solutions to past exams. Does anyone want to work together so that we can decide on solutions to past papers? In other words if you're unsure about an answer, post it here and get everyone elses help to make sure you understand how to answer certain questions. Obviously analysis and foundations are the important ones for now.
I figured I'd start this even though I haven't started past papers myself. Others may have, and other people having questions may provoke me to start working, though I somehow doubt it.

EDIT :- Maybe now we won't get A-level kids invading.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where did you find the 2006 paper from? On Maths stuff it only has papers until 2005. And it has the solutions for 2002 and 2003 without the papers which is completely useless.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Pick a year, let's do it.

Actually, it will become quite messy (very quickly) unless we only post solutions to the tougher questions. So maybe post up if you get stuck/did question but not sure etc?

I've just started Foundations revision.
Reply 3
spearman123
Where did you find the 2006 paper from? On Maths stuff it only has papers until 2005. And it has the solutions for 2002 and 2003 without the papers which is completely useless.

I can't log onto this page any more so the URL may be wrong, but aren't you guys getting all your past papers from http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/exampapers/? I could get past papers from the last five years for pretty much any subject I liked. Unless youre talking about answers on MathStuff.

Also, get the past paper booklets from the office. They cost £1 each which may seem a rip-off, but IMO they're more than worth it.

silent ninja
Pick a year, let's do it.

Actually, it will become quite messy (very quickly) unless we only post solutions to the tougher questions. So maybe post up if you get stuck/did question but not sure etc?

I've just started Foundations revision.

Maybe the original post could neatly organise links to all solutions posted thus far in the thread? (didn't generalabriety do something similar for STEP paper solutions?)
Reply 4
I've got the 2005-2008 books from the office, it's pretty good, I find it a lot easier to work from a book than online because there's far too many distractions (1 game of facebook tetris in between every question :rolleyes: ).
Not sure how to put links in to the post but I'm sure it can't be that hard.
Question 1 of any paper will be a mess, but unfortunately that's the one I will want most help with usually, because the other questions are much more like the books. I'm only up to book 7 in terms of analysis revision, and I've done nothing except read up on equivalence relations and permutations for foundations.
I'll try work out how to add links before we get the first solution up. I'll add some sections now though.
I didnt realise they offered past paper booklets. Is the office open over the holidays (ie tomorrow) by any chance?

JohnnySPal
I can't log onto this page any more so the URL may be wrong, but aren't you guys getting all your past papers from http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/exampapers/? I could get past papers from the last five years for pretty much any subject I liked.

I've downloaded all of 'em. There are too many gaps-- missing papers, mark schemes.
Reply 6
benwellsday
I'll try work out how to add links before we get the first solution up.
If you want to link to a post, go to that post on the thread and click the number in the top right-hand corner of the post. Then use the page it takes you to as the URL for the link.

I think trying to get a collection of solutions would be a useful project (for you and for later yeras). I have a good number of answers in my folder which I type up if you want, but it's probably best if those taking the exams contribute the solutions.
Reply 7
silent ninja
I didnt realise they offered past paper booklets. Is the office open over the holidays (ie tomorrow) by any chance?

I /believe/ that most of the university and departments remain open until Tuesday. I don't know whether this applies to maths though.

I've downloaded all of 'em. There are too many gaps-- missing papers, mark schemes.

You're unlikely to find any more mark schemes than are available on the website. The Maths department like to hide them and generally only have two or three mark schemes available.
Reply 8
I've not even got onto past papers and already have a question. My proof for question 11 of workbook 9 seem to work but is different from what I wrote at the time. For those without a booklet, it's proving an+1anan  diverges \vert \frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n}\vert \to \infty \Rightarrow \sum a_n \ \text{ diverges}

Here's what I have

Spoiler

benwellsday
I've not even got onto past papers and already have a question. My proof for question 11 of workbook 9 seem to work but is different from what I wrote at the time. For those without a booklet, it's proving an+1anan  diverges \vert \frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n}\vert \to \infty \Rightarrow \sum a_n \ \text{ diverges}

Here's what I have

Spoiler

what is the problem, your proof seems fine so long as the induction is correct.
JohnnySPal
What about the sequence defined by (a_n) = (1, -2, 3, -4, 5, -6, ...)?

didn't realise a_n+1/a_n->infinity...
Reply 11
Ah, I was worried then. Oh well, the proof looked alright to me but it just seemed to give me two results which I was expecting, i.e. if |a_(n+1) / a_n| -> infinity then |a_n| -> infinity. I'm surprised we didn't prove anything like that in the sequences books.
benwellsday
Ah, I was worried then. Oh well, the proof looked alright to me but it just seemed to give me two results which I was expecting, i.e. if |a_(n+1) / a_n| -> infinity then |a_n| -> infinity. I'm surprised we didn't prove anything like that in the sequences books.

well it's not such a hard proof really, all you have to show is that a_n is not null.
Totally Tom
didn't realise a_n+1/a_n->infinity...

Oh oh, okay, I didn't read the question. Consider me taught. I should really try to stop myself with this maths helping business. I really like to help with Analysis though, being a former peer tutor and all (Ben Simpson was in my class, that was fun).

Anywhoo back to your revision. I'll just be sat here, stroking my beloved degree certificate :mfing:
JohnnySPal
Oh oh, okay, I didn't read the question. Consider me taught. I should really try to stop myself with this maths helping business. I really like to help with Analysis though, being a former peer tutor and all (Ben Simpson was in my class, that was fun).

Anywhoo back to your revision. I'll just be sat here, stroking my beloved degree certificate :mfing:

You gonna keep braggin' about your degree when you slip up quite a bit?

eh eh eh?
Reply 15
Yeah, although any of the proofs can seem hard if you start off in the wrong way. I haven't done any past papers yet but if the long proofs can come up then it might be a bit difficult. i.e. the ones that have 3 or 4 steps in the workbook, if I didn't have those steps I'd be lost.
benwellsday
Yeah, although any of the proofs can seem hard if you start off in the wrong way. I haven't done any past papers yet but if the long proofs can come up then it might be a bit difficult. i.e. the ones that have 3 or 4 steps in the workbook, if I didn't have those steps I'd be lost.

yes, i don't see them doing that though really.

i'm going to go through my work books and go through all of the proofs working through them to remind myself how they were proved.
I'd take a look at a few past papers to gauge what they expect of you. It really isn't that much, and I don't think the examiner would dream of asking for, say, the proof in the spoiler above. The compulsory questions (making up half the exam?) just require you to know every fact and counter-example going, and the longer questions only need a few simple proofs at worse with a fair amount of application thrown into the mix. Because of H&R-worthy family troubles I didn't even read half of Foundations and I got over 80% on it. I think.

You should start worrying about proofs when you get to Analysis II. That exam is pretty much always teh *****0rz.

As for you, dear Thomas: :mfing: :mfing: :mfing:

Pal-Points for guessing which city that is. Also, more Pal-Points to the Warwick student that PMs me any juicy tom pictures that I can use against him.
JohnnySPal
I'd take a look at a few past papers to gauge what they expect of you. It really isn't that much, and I don't think the examiner would dream of asking for, say, the proof in the spoiler above. The compulsory questions (making up half the exam?) just require you to know every fact and counter-example going, and the longer questions only need a few simple proofs at worse with a fair amount of application thrown into the mix. Because of H&R-worthy family troubles I didn't even read half of Foundations and I got over 80% on it. I think.

You should start worrying about proofs when you get to Analysis II. That exam is pretty much always teh *****0rz.

As for you, dear Thomas: :mfing: :mfing: :mfing:

Pal-Points for guessing which city that is. Also, more Pal-Points to the Warwick student that PMs me any juicy tom pictures that I can use against him.

Can't we just be friends :frown:
JohnnySPal

Do people tend to do equally well on Analysis II as they did in Analysis I? Or is it really that much harder...

Latest