The Student Room Group

"Original Volunteers" company

Scroll to see replies

Original volunteers are a bunch of rip offs. i booked a place for 2 people and in the we decided not to go. It took them 3 months for them to give us our money back. i was depressed as i had no money and they decided tto steal it for 3 moths. it is terrible i would give them -100000000 rating. DO NOT EVER GO WITH THEM. THEY ARE A FAKE COMPANY
Reply 41
Original post by Flying-Wombat
Has anyone been with the company "Original Volunteers"? It seems really really cheap and I'd just like to know if anyone can let me know how their experience went with them? Was it good even though it was super-cheap?

For anyone thinking about volunteering with Original Volunteers, DON’T. I knew something was dodgy when they wouldn’t confirm how much the “project fees” are only until after I sent them my flight details, even though I gave them the exact dates that I was looking to come. After reaching out to past volunteers, I was shocked to hear what they had to say! Screenshots attached but long story short, volunteers are demanded high, random fees everyday that they aren’t made aware of prior to travelling (volunteers said they felt staff were just keeping it all to themselves rather than donating it) and are charged huge taxi fees by original volunteer drivers, that the volunteers didn’t believe to be truthful. I even saw horrifying reviews that volunteers got sexually harassed by OV’s drivers! When I told OV that I wanted to cancel my trip with them and requested a refund for my registration fee which should’ve been as easy as a click of a button via PayPal they kept ignoring my requests, calls and even hung up on me when I had to call through my friends number to get through to them - the audacity! The two staff members Hannah and Emma who I spoke to on the phone and via email had conflicting views on payments and weren’t thorough and confident when I asked them basic questions, getting one word answers from Emma and ignored by Hannah, who was so eager to speak to me on the phone to book my trip before. Always listen to your gut, if something doesn’t seem right, just don’t do it. I’m finally getting my registration fee back after having to escalate this as a claim to PayPal - whichever organisation you choose, always try to pay via PayPal to make sure you’ve got a safety net.
How did your trip to Thailand go with OV, thinking of booking one for my daughter to Morocco

Quick Reply

Latest