The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Which college at Oxford for American grad student?

I'm applying to a one-year MSc at Oxford that requires me to pick a college. As an ignorant Yank, I have no idea how to make this decision.

What criteria should I consider as I make this decision?

I was told that I should perhaps choose a college based on the size of the endowment, as scholarships sometimes depend on the college? Other have said it's more about personal preference and "feel".

I'm female, very nerdy and intellectual, but gregarious and like to have fun. I'm not much of a drinker, but that doesn't stop me. I'd love to find a place where I can discuss Plato until 3 am. I don't mind being with younger people (undergrads) as I like the energy and the intensity.

Here are the schools I have to choose among:

Balliol College
Brasenose College
Campion Hall
Green Templeton College
Harris Manchester College
Keble College
Kellogg College
New College
Pembroke College
Queen's College
St Anne's College
St Antony's College
St Catherine's College
St Cross College
St Hilda's College
St Hugh's College
Trinity College
Wolfson College
Worcester College

Scroll to see replies

usususus
I'm applying to a one-year MSc at Oxford that requires me to pick a college. As an ignorant Yank, I have no idea how to make this decision.

What criteria should I consider as I make this decision?

I was told that I should perhaps choose a college based on the size of the endowment, as scholarships sometimes depend on the college? Other have said it's more about personal preference and "feel".

I'm female, very nerdy and intellectual, but gregarious and like to have fun. I'm not much of a drinker, but that doesn't stop me. I'd love to find a place where I can discuss Plato until 3 am. I don't mind being with younger people (undergrads) as I like the energy and the intensity.

Balliol College
Brasenose College
Campion Hall
Green Templeton College
Keble College
Kellogg College
New College
Pembroke College
Queen's College
St Anne's College
St Antony's College
St Catherine's College
St Cross College
St Hilda's College
St Hugh's College
Trinity College
Wolfson College
Worcester College

Balliol has lots of internationals, might be a good choice.
As for being with undergraduates, you will find that your schedule and their schedule will be very different, but grads+undergrads then to meet during meals, so it's possible.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
I wouldn't choose a college based on the size of endowment, as you might end up somewhere with a large endowment but you don't personally like. The best thing if it's feasible is to come to the UK and visit Oxford for a few days. Colleges will generally let you in if you say that you are a prospective student (or just walk straight through the lodges as if you are meant to be there) and you can bask in the wonderful architecture and setting etc. and see firstly whether the Oxford 'vibe' is for you and secondly which college is for you. Even better, go on one of the University-wide open days and meet loads of current/prospective undergrads. Of course, this may not be possible. If it isn't, I'd choose the college you are most drawn to by whichever factor motivates you - be it the pretty buildings or the location or whatever. You may well end up at another college anyway and you will certainly be able to find people to discuss Plato with wherever you end up - you aren't locked into your college and you'll meet loads of people from other colleges.. But wherever you end up, I'm sure you will end up loving it.
usususus
I was told that I should perhaps choose a college based on the size of the endowment, as scholarships sometimes depend on the college?

I think you have a wrong idea here. I don't think you'll get a scholarship for a one-year MSc; it's just not the kind of thing colleges do, regardless of endowment. Nor does the University do them (except for some highly competitive things like the Clarendon bursaries, which tend to be targeted at research degrees, not taught postgrad courses). If you want to do one of these, plan on either paying the full cost yourself, or on getting some other sort of sponsorship.

DtS

[correction: if you use this (http://www2.admin.ox.ac.uk/studentfunding/awards/search.php5?), you'll there are a few College specific scholarships; but they don't cover full costs, or anything like, nor AFAICS are they targeted at the course you want to do.]
Reply 4
Thanks for the information -- I looked at the Oxford Funding database, and some of the colleges have funding (doesn't say for all of them whether an MSc is funded, while some specify research funding only.

How would an outsider to the college culture (my undergraduate uni in the US did not have colleges as such) make this decision?
what's the subject? if it's something st ant's or gtc specializes in I'd probably recommend applying to one of them, as it'll probably make your life a lot easier.

if not, differences include size of grad community, grads only/mixed, integration with undergrads, location (note your accommodation won't necessarily be in college)... what are your priorities?
Reply 6
Like I think I mentioned in the larger Oxford postgrad thread, I know someone who used to be a fellow at St. Anthony's. He told me I probably won't be accepted there as my concentration doesn't resonate with the focus of fellows at the college. However, he also told me that the college doesn't matter for graduate students. Unlike with undergrads, graduate students will be taught only out of their department/institution and thus the college becomes a rather unimportant affiliation as it won't affect the quality of your education. That said, it obviously would be good to become a member of a college that has resources you could use (financial or otherwise). I have heard that accepted graduate students might have to wait as long as until April before they learn about their college placement. Can anyone confirm this? Would this be the case even if you were admitted early December?
Reply 7
KMaine
I have heard that accepted graduate students might have to wait as long as until April before they learn about their college placement. Can anyone confirm this? Would this be the case even if you were admitted early December?

According to the guidelines sat in front of me:

For those who applied in November and get an offer, expected college offer will be by 20th March 09

For those who apply in Jan and get an offer, expected college offer will be by 29th May 09.
Reply 8
So late March, huh?

Did you read this in your letter of acceptance or is it in the prospectus (and if so, how did I miss it)?

I am still hopeful I will find out before then but I guess I can't hope for too much...
Reply 9
KMaine
So late March, huh?

Did you read this in your letter of acceptance or is it in the prospectus (and if so, how did I miss it)?

I am still hopeful I will find out before then but I guess I can't hope for too much...

It's on page 15 of the notes of guidance.:smile:
hobnob
It's on page 15 of the notes of guidance.:smile:

:yep:
As a current Oxford grad student, I'm happy to offer my $0.02 worth.

usususus
I was told that I should perhaps choose a college based on the size of the endowment, as scholarships sometimes depend on the college?

Be wary about choosing a college based on the size of its endowment. Just because a college has a large endowment doesn't mean it will automatically subsidise everything for graduates. For example, accommodation may very well be run at cost, the consequence of which is that you will end up paying rates above the Van Noorden index if you choose to live in college accommodation.

usususus
Other have said it's more about personal preference and "feel".

There is some truth in this. I'm not quite sure what might be meant by feel. The 'feel' you get from the college may not be the same as that you get from the MCR or the JCR (for the undergraduate colleges). I would recommend NOT choosing a college based on how aesthetically pleasing you find the college grounds. First, the college you end up at may not be the college you originally selected. Second, with the exception of some of the grad colleges, the chances are you won't be living in the college itself; on-site accommodation is primarily for the undergraduates. Third, if you find you still have time to appreciate the architectural delights of Oxford by the end of Week 1 of Michaelmas term, then you can flash your Bod card to gain entry to whatever college takes your fancy. Most MCRs also do exchanges dinners or bar exchanges, so you will inevitably get the chance to experience the atmosphere of an MCR and a formal at another college, while having the freedom to go back to your own college bar afterwards :smile:

usususus
I'd love to find a place where I can discuss Plato until 3 am. I don't mind being with younger people (undergrads) as I like the energy and the intensity.

Quite a lot of grad students have come straight from undergraduate degrees. The majority of those who haven't tend to be between their mid-20s to early 30s. From my experience, the vision of ageing cardigan wearing postgraduates drinking real ale in the MCR bar is a myth.

usususus

Balliol College
Brasenose College
Campion Hall
Green Templeton College
Keble College
Kellogg College
New College
Pembroke College
Queen's College
St Anne's College
St Antony's College
St Catherine's College
St Cross College
St Hilda's College
St Hugh's College
Trinity College
Wolfson College
Worcester College

Campion Hall is a PPH and may not take you unless you are doing Theology or something closely related. Also, Kellogg primarily takes part-time students so full-time students are something of a minority.

Although grad courses are managed by the departments rather than the colleges. The grad admission tutors are somewhat keen making sure that the interests of the students and their 'college advisors' are as closely matched as possible. Of course, how much this will change now that the system of 'gathered fields' is dead remains to be seen.

You should also bear in mind that colleges which have traditionally taken sizeable proportions of particular courses may well be supplied with many of the texts you need. For example, every 2nd or 3rd student I bump into at my college (Wolfson) appears to be anthropologist. While not an anthropologist, I have had occasional need to borrow anthropology texts and have been pleasantly surprised to find that my college library appears to be one of the few which consistently has texts I have needed. Granted, the size of Oxford's book stock is exceptional and there is a better than average chance that whatever you need is in the university somewhere. Nevertheless, it is nice to find that I need a particular book at 0130 and can wander downstairs to the library to get it.
that last post is eminently sensible and full of good advice, which supersedes mine entirely (with the possible exception that I'd still ask what your subject is in case it's a slightly weird one, in which case the most ideal colleges may be different)
Reply 13
My subject is indeed a weird one. I'm interested in attending the Oxford Internet Institute, MSc, hoping to lead to DPhil.
Reply 14
@GraveMentor: If you wouldn't mind, I'd be very interested to get your basic impression of the graduate anthro students you have encountered. I'm accepted at to read for the MSc in Social Anthropology and I am curious what other types of people I can expect to encounter in my program/institute. Silly as it may sound, I am particularly interested in your perceived average age of anthro grad students. I will be 26 when I enter and I would hate to be the oldest one...

Other than that, thanks for a very informative post on colleges. Having grown up in an architecturally brutalist neighborhood in a dull city, I hope to be affiliated with a more historic college where I can at least get a dose of romantic architecture a couple of times avery week. However, if Wolfson is THE college for postgrad anthropologists, I guess I am likely to end up there. I just want to get the college process over with so I can sign the contract and begin planning my move to the UK.

@hobnob: Thank for the reference. Turns out I never consulted the Notes of Guidance... didn't even know they existed. Oops.
KMaine
@GraveMentor: If you wouldn't mind, I'd be very interested to get your basic impression of the graduate anthro students you have encountered.

Anthoropology students at Oxford? It's hard to generalise any more than saying that we appear to have a lot of them and at least one can be found in the college bar on any given evening; pretty impressive given the bar opens during the vacations as well as term time. As for age, I think mid 20s is about the average I've encountered. I've met at least one who came straight from an undergraduate degree, and several more who did their first degrees and worked for several years before coming up to Oxford.

KMaine
However, if Wolfson is THE college for postgrad anthropologists, I guess I am likely to end up there.

Not necessarily. I believe the college took way more people for humanities than they expected this year. Plans may be afoot to redress the balance with the 2009 cohort.
Reply 16
KMaine
Other than that, thanks for a very informative post on colleges. Having grown up in an architecturally brutalist neighborhood in a dull city, I hope to be affiliated with a more historic college where I can at least get a dose of romantic architecture a couple of times avery week. However, if Wolfson is THE college for postgrad anthropologists, I guess I am likely to end up there.

Well, according to the graduate prospectus, there are about 80 places for taught anthropology courses overall (i.e. around 60 for the MSc in Social Anthropology?). There are just colleges which accept students for that course (Exeter, Green Templeton, Harris Manchester, Hertford, Kellogg, Linacre, Magdalen, New College, St Antony's, Catz, St Cross, Teddy Hall, St Hilda's, St Hugh's, St John's, St Peter's, Trinity and Wolfson, plus two PPHs, Campion Hall, Regent's Park). Depending on how narrow your definition of "romantic architecture" is only 7-10 of those would qualify on that account, but for obvious reasons those are also likely to be the most popular choices with applicants. Judging by the size of their MCRs, few of the "historic" colleges will be able to take more than two or three Social Anthropology MScs per year (and Exeter, Harris Manchester and Trinity are so small they'll probably only take one).
So to sum things up, the odds for your being pooled to St Cross or Wolfson are quite high, so don't be too disappointed if that happens... As Grave Mentor said, though, you'll still be able to get your weekly fix of nice architecture even if you're at a less photogenic college.:smile:
usususus
My subject is indeed a weird one. I'm interested in attending the Oxford Internet Institute, MSc, hoping to lead to DPhil.

Not that I would recommend a college based on location, but Balliol is geographically convenient. The OII is next door to Balliol College, which makes it handy for lunch before/after any lectures or classes (assuming these are held there). Holywell Manor is also across the road from the Social Science Library, which you will no doubt be visiting a lot if the interests of many of the OII academics I know is anything to go by :smile:
Reply 18
Hobnob:
Thanks for your perspective. I obviously don't care THAT much about which college I get placed in, I just want to get it over with. Having spent the past five years in the U.S. in a place where the oldest building is from the late 1800s, I am not too picky. I don't know if your estimate that 60/80 taught anthropology positions are MSc in Social Anthro is correct. It seems like a lot to me given that there are four other tracks in addition to social anthro. I guess I will find out once I get to Oxford:smile: Btw, I love that I can discuss these matters with more experienced students as well as people in my position. I'm very happy I found this forum!
when i get back to oxford i'll download the results for last year's socanth msc, which tells you the number of people at each college on the course last year - hopefully this might be useful. (i can do the same thing for the oii stuff if you tell me the exact title of the degree)

Latest

Trending

Trending