The Student Room Group

Pharm Soc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ledleyking123
the application has been rejected at present due to a lack of activity it seems so get more active guys and get this turned into a soc.

oh nooo
Reply 21
Hey I'd like to join when it's set up :biggrin:
I'm first year at Reading University
Well it was confirmed for me that revision does work - had 5 exams in December and I passed them all :smile: With my lowest percentage being 67%. Considering last year I did nothing and was always looking to just pass and nothing more, Im quite pleased with myself. Here's hoping that since i devoted my christmas to january exams (have 4 over this week and next) I'll get some nice results there too :smile:

Does everyone else's uni seem to give them an insane amount of exams? 9 over 2 months seems a lot to me lol.
Also, what modules have people had so far? This year I've had 4 so far:

1) Molecular Pharmacy - acidic/basic drugs, local anaesthetics, asthma medicine, drug binding sites etc
2) Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics (CPT) - stuff like ion channels, nitrogen in the body, consisted of 2 separate sections - Pharmacokinetics where we had a calculations test with an 80% passmark, and a pharmacology module. I passed kinetics but have my pharmacology one this afternoon and am so worried, its the one topic that screws me up EVERY time.
3) Pharmacy Law and Practice - my favourite, we have to do things like counselling and dishing out prescriptions, checking for errors. Had a dispensing test and an OSCE in this and have my written exam on Monday, fingers crossed.
4) Industrial Pharmacy - hate this topic, we were told the other week the exam just needs to be passed and then people who want to go into community and hospital can forget it, YET they make us write 2 essays on it under exam conditions. Includes mixing, drying, granulation, quality assurance, GMP etc.
Danielle how did you find dispensing, was it a practical exam?.

You seem to have an awful lot of exams, we have about 4 in january including a calculation exam with a 70% pass mark and no calculator!
What sort of calculations was it??? We had calculators but all the formulae were like, half life which has a 0.693 and things like that, so not really surprising. Some had logs as well lol.

Yeah, dispensing was the one where we got given a private and an NHS prescription, the NHS one was a controlled drug, and we had to do full write-ups on both, including writing up whatever interventions need to be done for errors. Then got to endorse the prescriptions, dispense them and counsel the "patients" (lecturers). It was a pass/fail exam, anything done that could cause harm to the patient was an automatic fail.
yep ours is pass/fail aswell. However, we have emergency supplies and cds. Our caluclations is based on dosage etc. As for industrial pharmacy, we have to similar topics to you it seems. When do you finish fully?
You mean when do I finish exams? Yeah we had CDs in ours, no emergency supply but in the OSCE we had to do prescription checks, look up the Stockley for drug interactions, work out the dose for a child, answer questions on emergency supply and answer questions based on the BNF.

We finish exams properly on Monday thank god! I've been revising for one exam or another since mid-october. Big difference to last year. Really hoping no resits this year, had one for human physiology last year and it was a nightmare but I have a boots summer placement this year which takes up 8 weeks from june 15th - really no time for resit revision when working 40 hour weeks!

What dates are your exams?
bump
how is everygone getting on with the degree
Reply 28
i wana join :biggrin:

prospective student 09 entry

xox
ledleyking123
bump

Ask me in a couple years when I'm hyped up on Red Bull struggling to remember vital information so I don't accidentally kill somebody.

I am such a happy person.
Reply 30
ledleyking123
bump

Wow...time has flown by, I can't believe that so many months have gone, dreading starting revision for exams though!

How about you ledleyking123?
Reply 31
Really not looking forward to exam revision! Have a Top 25 drug test next week as well as an OPSE, a maths test, my portfolio to finish and an essay to write that I've had since week 1 of this semester :rolleyes: Then I'll have to get a crack on with the revision. Urgh.

Not fuuuuuun at all
Cret
Really not looking forward to exam revision! Have a Top 25 drug test next week as well as an OPSE, a maths test, my portfolio to finish and an essay to write that I've had since week 1 of this semester :rolleyes: Then I'll have to get a crack on with the revision. Urgh.

Not fuuuuuun at all

Which uni you at?

I have my dispensing exam in 3 weeks. Dreading it, I always manage to make atleast one error :frown:, cd's are a nightmare.
I've got exams constantly for the next few weeks. I had a group presentation this week for clinical pharmacy and therapeutics based on heart conditions where we were given case notes for a patient with various conditions and given an hour to come up with explanations of each of the CV disease states, the CV-treatment drugs the patient was on and their mechanisms of action, and recommendations for future treatment/changes. All well and good but then we had questions from the lecturers at the end in front of the class which was extremely embarrassing because I appear to be even more clueless than I thought

Next week I have a coursework MCQ test for dosage form design, and a practice biochemistry skills test which should be ok. Also got a practical extemp exam soon. We're still getting a heap of lectures so revision of stuff we've already done is kinda off the cards at the moment as well.
Reply 34
ledleyking123
Which uni you at?

I have my dispensing exam in 3 weeks. Dreading it, I always manage to make atleast one error :frown:, cd's are a nightmare.

UEA, first year. I know what you mean with dispensing! I'm fortunate that I haven't had to do CDs yet. I'm hoping my summer placement will help me get better at dispensing for year 2 :smile:

Danielle89
All well and good but then we had questions from the lecturers at the end in front of the class which was extremely embarrassing because I appear to be even more clueless than I thought

The lecturers always tend to ask questions which are a bit of a killer, I had a similar thing in my presentation a few weeks back and ended up rambling alot about anything that was related to the question.

Danielle89
We're still getting a heap of lectures so revision of stuff we've already done is kinda off the cards at the moment as well.

It's the same here, though probably less bad. I hate the feeling of not having enough time. Realllllly need to get revision started asap.
Revision time!
Too right! Just had an easter "break" - studied 8hrs monday and tuesday, 4hrs wednesday then the sun won and I got nothing done on thursday and friday hrmph.
8 hours?! I have managed 3 hours for the past 3 days:frown:
its a pity this still hasn't turned official. Anyway, is everyone finished at uni now and what are your summaries of the year.
Reply 39
Please put it up, i'm starting next year and it would help :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending