The Student Room Group

Pharm Soc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pedus
Ha, sad really.. guess there aint much to talk about though once you become an undergraduate..

btw, where you studyin pharmacy at the moment?

Aberdeen. Final year. Yourself?
Reply 381
Original post by Caponester
Aberdeen. Final year. Yourself?

Portsmouth, first year :biggrin:

Final year of uni, or pre reg year? And how did you find years 1,2 and 3? Tough? Most challenging thing you've encountered whilst studying Pharmacy?
Original post by Pedus
Portsmouth, first year :biggrin:

Final year of uni, or pre reg year? And how did you find years 1,2 and 3? Tough? Most challenging thing you've encountered whilst studying Pharmacy?

Final year of uni. Got my pre-reg sorted though (you apply between years 3 and 4).

Eh, let me think. I thought first year was absolutely fine to be honest. Nothing too strenuous and I don't recall there being any patient contact so the stresses attached to that didn't exist (or well, It was reasonably stressful at the time). We had a two semester module in Physical pharmacy that was about as challenging as it got. I remember after sitting that exam sitting wondering what the hell I had let myself in for! :biggrin: But it was A-ok in the end.

Second year and third year were probably of comparable difficulty - maybe third year was a bit more difficult, in fact - yeah third year was more difficult. The work is never undoable, it just pays to keep on top of it all if you want to get good grades. That can be difficult with the volume of exams they throw at you. I was doing four terminal exams after each semester and countless class tests, practicals, OSCE's, presentations etc in between. So yeah, keep on top of your work and it'll be a doddle. If you leave it late then barring any inherent genius within, you will struggle.

Most challenging? Hmm, I'd probably say keeping motivation levels up when studying modules in industrial/formulation pharmacy. There were some lectures and courseworks during 2nd and 3rd year that would bore even the most motivated student to tears :biggrin:. I remember sitting studying for a written exam concerning sterile products in 3rd year and thinking it was about the ****test thing in the world. Although saying that, I did use quite a bit of that knowledge while on hospital placement so it wasn't all in vain.

Fourth year has been enjoyable so far. I was fortunate enough to get a good project title in chemistry so I've found carrying out laboratory work and writing up my thesis quite interesting. We do a ton of PBL in fourth year too with regards to clinical topics so I've liked that too.

What modules do you guys cover in first year down in Portsmouth? Just thinking, our schools of pharmacy are probably the furthest away from each other in terms of geography. I wonder if the teaching and assessment methods are also a million miles away?
Reply 383
Final year of uni. Got my pre-reg sorted though (you apply between years 3 and 4).

Eh, let me think. I thought first year was absolutely fine to be honest. Nothing too strenuous and I don't recall there being any patient contact so the stresses attached to that didn't exist (or well, It was reasonably stressful at the time). We had a two semester module in Physical pharmacy that was about as challenging as it got. I remember after sitting that exam sitting wondering what the hell I had let myself in for! :biggrin: But it was A-ok in the end.

Second year and third year were probably of comparable difficulty - maybe third year was a bit more difficult, in fact - yeah third year was more difficult. The work is never undoable, it just pays to keep on top of it all if you want to get good grades. That can be difficult with the volume of exams they throw at you. I was doing four terminal exams after each semester and countless class tests, practicals, OSCE's, presentations etc in between. So yeah, keep on top of your work and it'll be a doddle. If you leave it late then barring any inherent genius within, you will struggle.

Most challenging? Hmm, I'd probably say keeping motivation levels up when studying modules in industrial/formulation pharmacy. There were some lectures and courseworks during 2nd and 3rd year that would bore even the most motivated student to tears :biggrin:. I remember sitting studying for a written exam concerning sterile products in 3rd year and thinking it was about the ****test thing in the world. Although saying that, I did use quite a bit of that knowledge while on hospital placement so it wasn't all in vain.

Fourth year has been enjoyable so far. I was fortunate enough to get a good project title in chemistry so I've found carrying out laboratory work and writing up my thesis quite interesting. We do a ton of PBL in fourth year too with regards to clinical topics so I've liked that too.

What modules do you guys cover in first year down in Portsmouth? Just thinking, our schools of pharmacy are probably the furthest away from each other in terms of geography. I wonder if the teaching and assessment methods are also a million miles away?

Niceee :borat: I'm actually dreading forth year, but I still got a few years ha.

We do stuff like anatomy&physiology, microbiology, pharmacuetical chemistry, so i'm guessing similar stuff to what you did in your first year. I think its all about keeping up with the work load, early planning revision wise.. So far, it hasn't been too bad, but the amount of labs we've done is crazy.. that, a few inclass tests, presentations and january exams... yea, i don't think its anything compared to you ha!

btw, was finding summer placements hard? and where you doing your pre-reg?!
Original post by Pedus
Niceee :borat: I'm actually dreading forth year, but I still got a few years ha.

We do stuff like anatomy&physiology, microbiology, pharmacuetical chemistry, so i'm guessing similar stuff to what you did in your first year. I think its all about keeping up with the work load, early planning revision wise.. So far, it hasn't been too bad, but the amount of labs we've done is crazy.. that, a few inclass tests, presentations and january exams... yea, i don't think its anything compared to you ha!

btw, was finding summer placements hard? and where you doing your pre-reg?!

Yeah, sounds fairly similar although I was barely taught any anatomy. Had to pick up the important stuff as I went along to be honest! Yeah, labs... I used to dread being in two 3 hour labs on a tuesday. What an awful way to spend the day eh?

I didn't bother applying for one between first and second year, just took a part time job in a cinema back home instead and enjoyed the summer. I advise everyone to do something similar because truthfully, there is not a whole lot you can bring to a pharmacy placement without going through second year onwards. I didn't find it too difficult but maybe I got lucky? Between 2nd and 3rd year I applied to Boots and Rowlands. Got a place in Boots and a telephone interview for Rowlands, which I declined. I think the key is to;

1) Spend a decent amount of time on your application - don't do it all at the last minute
2) Try and pick less popular regions if possible to maximise your chances of getting a placement. I picked a pretty unfashionable area of Glasgow and managed to get a place.

As for last summer, I did two placements. Lloyds and NHS. I got sacked off by Boots so not sure what was going on there - I thought I was a decent enough placement student but meh :confused:

Lloyds have a pretty lengthy application and then they shortlist candidates for interview. Not too many people from my year got a Lloyds placement actually - maybe about 15 throughout Scotland? NHS also had an application and interview but to be honest, it appeared as if the majority of those interviewed got a place.

I don't have any experience of applying for independents or any of the supermarkets so I can't help you there. You should get various emails sent to your uni account throughout the year advertising placement opportunities? I'm afraid the deadline will have passed for Boots and Lloyds anyway and NHS typically prefer 3rd year students...

Take it easy this summer, you've earned it. I notice you have a BSc in pharmacology? So your a graduate MPharm student?
Reply 385
Yeah, sounds fairly similar although I was barely taught any anatomy. Had to pick up the important stuff as I went along to be honest! Yeah, labs... I used to dread being in two 3 hour labs on a tuesday. What an awful way to spend the day eh?

I didn't bother applying for one between first and second year, just took a part time job in a cinema back home instead and enjoyed the summer. I advise everyone to do something similar because truthfully, there is not a whole lot you can bring to a pharmacy placement without going through second year onwards. I didn't find it too difficult but maybe I got lucky? Between 2nd and 3rd year I applied to Boots and Rowlands. Got a place in Boots and a telephone interview for Rowlands, which I declined. I think the key is to;

1) Spend a decent amount of time on your application - don't do it all at the last minute
2) Try and pick less popular regions if possible to maximise your chances of getting a placement. I picked a pretty unfashionable area of Glasgow and managed to get a place.

As for last summer, I did two placements. Lloyds and NHS. I got sacked off by Boots so not sure what was going on there - I thought I was a decent enough placement student but meh :confused:

Lloyds have a pretty lengthy application and then they shortlist candidates for interview. Not too many people from my year got a Lloyds placement actually - maybe about 15 throughout Scotland? NHS also had an application and interview but to be honest, it appeared as if the majority of those interviewed got a place.

I don't have any experience of applying for independents or any of the supermarkets so I can't help you there. You should get various emails sent to your uni account throughout the year advertising placement opportunities? I'm afraid the deadline will have passed for Boots and Lloyds anyway and NHS typically prefer 3rd year students...

Take it easy this summer, you've earned it. I notice you have a BSc in pharmacology? So your a graduate MPharm student?

Ah, niceee! Nah, doing Pharmacology first year, and transferring to Pharmacy next year matee. :s-smilie:
Original post by Pedus
Ah, niceee! Nah, doing Pharmacology first year, and transferring to Pharmacy next year matee. :s-smilie:

How does that work? Do you need to achieve a certain grade to move onto the MPharm course? It's not an integrated degree or something crazy like that!?

(I wish we could intercalate during pharmacy) :frown:
Reply 387
How does that work? Do you need to achieve a certain grade to move onto the MPharm course? It's not an integrated degree or something crazy like that!?

(I wish we could intercalate during pharmacy) :frown:

Transfer, so 2.1 in my first year, with no modules below 50 %.. :s
Original post by Pedus
Transfer, so 2.1 in my first year, with no modules below 50 %.. :s

Cool. Shouldn't be too difficult to average 60% throughout first year I wouldn't have thought!

Best of luck.
Reply 389
Something interesting news: Durham university is the next university to bring in the Pharmacy degree....I am honestly quite surprised!

Don't exactly know when the degree will start but I assume that it is for 2012 entry :smile:

I think it good as it will make pharmacy even more prestigious than before if a university like Durham wants it.

So what do you guys think???
Original post by petzneo
Something interesting news: Durham university is the next university to bring in the Pharmacy degree....I am honestly quite surprised!

Don't exactly know when the degree will start but I assume that it is for 2012 entry :smile:

I think it good as it will make pharmacy even more prestigious than before if a university like Durham wants it.

So what do you guys think???

I just saw an advert for Prof of pharmacy practice at Durham uni. I have mixed feelings about this dude. Durham is an outstanding university yeah, but there are now going to be another 120 odd pharmacists graduating every year.

Still, I'd be willing to bet their MPharm degree will be better than some of the other new schools of pharmacy :tongue:
Reply 391
I just saw an advert for Prof of pharmacy practice at Durham uni. I have mixed feelings about this dude. Durham is an outstanding university yeah, but there are now going to be another 120 odd pharmacists graduating every year.

Still, I'd be willing to bet their MPharm degree will be better than some of the other new schools of pharmacy :tongue:

Sure, that may be true..but they won't be graduating until minimium 2016, by that time I should be well set into my job.

What I feel sorry for is the students that will be applying the year that the Durham course becomes available, with universities like Durham, bath, Notts etc there is going to be major competition between graduates for jobs!

I am quite happy that I ended up going to a university where the MPharm has been there for longer than 40 years...at least they know what they are doing, even if the university is not top notch! I wont name name's but the things that I have heard from sop that are not yet accredited...haha they would make you laugh!

It would be interesting to see how Durham will approach the degree, I think they are going to go for a clinical focus or maybe even a bit of a mix like UEA.

Well, all I can say is the day when Imperial has a school of pharmacy is when things are really hotting up!
Original post by petzneo
Sure, that may be true..but they won't be graduating until minimium 2016, by that time I should be well set into my job.

What I feel sorry for is the students that will be applying the year that the Durham course becomes available, with universities like Durham, bath, Notts etc there is going to be major competition between graduates for jobs!

I am quite happy that I ended up going to a university where the MPharm has been there for longer than 40 years...at least they know what they are doing, even if the university is not top notch! I wont name name's but the things that I have heard from sop that are not yet accredited...haha they would make you laugh!

It would be interesting to see how Durham will approach the degree, I think they are going to go for a clinical focus or maybe even a bit of a mix like UEA.

Well, all I can say is the day when Imperial has a school of pharmacy is when things are really hotting up!

True. I'm not sure if Durham would even be ready to take students in 2012, think about it - the next UCAS application cycle opens in what? 8 months? No way Durham would have a fully staffed school of pharmacy by then. I think we're talking many years down the line here. Probably starting in 2014/15.

But yeah, there will be an axis of very good schools of pharmacy running down the country.

Strathclyde - Durham - Manchester - Nottingham - Cardiff - LSOP - KCL

These are all really good universities! I'm in the same boat by the way, decent course at a completely duff university! Not sure what approach Durham are taking but I read that they are looking for a Prof. of Pharmaceutical science with experience in medicine in the developing world. Every school of pharmacy seems to have their research interests and I guess maybe that will be theres? I reckon the teaching will be integrated with the medics who use the campus for phase 1 of the MBBS in Newcastle. It has some potential!

Only downside is, this is all going to take place at Queens campus in Stockton, which is a million miles from anything decent :tongue:. It's a sad day when the closest good night out is Middlesborough eh? :biggrin:

Don't get me started on the new unaccredited schools... :angry:. I shudder to think how poor the standard of teaching is at these places. If you don't have a good reputation then you cannot attract decent members of staff. If you cannot attract decent members of staff two things will occur; a reduction in teaching quality and a reduction in research quality. No research = zero funding. You get where I'm going with this? I have no idea why the RPSGB allowed so many new schools to open!?

Northern Ireland have two bloody schools! TWO! There are about the same number of people living in Northern Ireland as there is in the west of scotland for christ sake and they have the same number of schools as Scotland. What on earth is the need?

Meh, late night rant is just about over. I can't see Imperial opening a school to be honest. There are what? Three schools already in London and then Reading on the outskirts? More than enough.

Did you know there used to be a school of pharmacy in Edinburgh? Would have applied for MPharm there in a heartbeat! :colondollar:. It got scrapped in the early 1990's though.
Reply 393
Dear All

Do you know of any good on-line resources for studying pharmacology please, and of any pharmacology dictionary websites please?

This would be really much appreciated

Kind Rgds

Bezza
Original post by bezza_92
Dear All

Do you know of any good on-line resources for studying pharmacology please, and of any pharmacology dictionary websites please?

This would be really much appreciated

Kind Rgds

Bezza

Hello. An excellent website for studying cardiovascular pharmacology is as follows,

LINK

I'm sure you can use your imagination and acquire a copy of Rang & Dale's Pharmacology online also. I'm afraid I cannot tell you where for legal reasons.
Reply 395
Hello. An excellent website for studying cardiovascular pharmacology is as follows,

LINK

I'm sure you can use your imagination and acquire a copy of Rang & Dale's Pharmacology online also. I'm afraid I cannot tell you where for legal reasons.

Thanks for your help - yeh that has been great help!!

:smile:
Hey can anyone who is at Manchester university give me the names of some important first year textbooks ? I'm on a gap year and want to get some reading started.
5 months until I begin my pre-registration post and I'm still contract-less and accommodation has yet to be confirmed :facepalm:
Got offers from Notts and Manchester!

Pharmacy;s coooool :smile: xxx
can i just ask one thing: what is the point of unaccredited schools? do graduates from said schools even have any chance of securing a good job with employers? I mean.....i wouldn't like to go to an unaccredited school; would I even get a job? Is there even any point if you're not going to get a job and isn't it common sense to avoid it.......... I guess it's the same with any degree though, hmmm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending