The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Senurita-Anita
What kind of maths is the best A-Level??

Mechanics or Statistics??

Might swap sociology for maths or philosophy.

xx

Both. They only see "Maths" as the A-Level as far as I'm aware. Mechanics is one option out of the 6 modules you'll take to gain the A-Level.
Philosophy or Religious Studies gives you good skills to do with essay writing and developing debating skills and other factors that would help with a career in Law.
*Star*Guitar*
OP I wouldn't worry too much about this...unless you're going for the top five unis for law, then don't take A-levels that you really won't like to take, just because they're seen as more acceptable. I took Fine Art, Law and French at A-level and got offers from three in the top 50 unis for law. And if it wasn't for taking Law at A-level in the first place, I would probably have not gone on to do it at degree level. So, do keep in mind the requirements of unis, but consider your own personal choices and the reason for those, overall.

Yes that is true!! Helped alot thanks xx
*Star*Guitar*
OP I wouldn't worry too much about this...unless you're going for the top five unis for law, then don't take A-levels that you really won't like to take, just because they're seen as more acceptable. I took Fine Art, Law and French at A-level and got offers from three in the top 50 unis for law. And if it wasn't for taking Law at A-level in the first place, I would probably have not gone on to do it at degree level. So, do keep in mind the requirements of unis, but consider your own personal choices and the reason for those, overall.

Err, I think "top five" is a bit of an exaggeration. Plus, no offence, perhaps the OP has her sights set higher than the "top 50"; doing a subject like history really can't damage her application, and yet doing only one subject seen as "academic" will severely damage her application to a lot of the "top" unis, more than just the top five.
generalebriety
Err, I think "top five" is a bit of an exaggeration. Plus, no offence, perhaps the OP has her sights set higher than the "top 50"; doing a subject like history really can't damage her application, and yet doing only one subject seen as "academic" will severely damage her application to a lot of the "top" unis, more than just the top five.

Err, if we really are going to look at this in terms of uni rep, you only have to worry prospects-wise if the uni is not one of the top 50 in the table. Just as it would be detrimental to pick a uni purely because of an employer's opinion of it, so it is detrimental to pick most A-levels based on someone else's opinion - you try and do 2+ years of hard study in a subject that you find really uninteresting and demotivational, and then try and convince people who read your application why you chose the subject and why it has progressed your career choices.

I'm not going to lie; if I was more on the ball, I would have also studied Biology or Chemistry at A-level, as they are the only two other Academic subjects that interest me. I tried Eng Lit, found it incredibly boring, and dropped out.

I never said turn your back on what influences those that read your apps, but don't kill your enjoyment of studying just because you chose subjects that on the whole, you really don't like.
Right, new and revised options, taking everything into account!!

Law
English Lit
Philosophy
Drama Studies OR Performing Arts
General Studies (compulsory i have to...)

Better??

xxx
Reply 25
*Star*Guitar*

Yeah I thinks this sums it up pretty well. Ignore the people saying you have to do maths/french/history it's a load of rubbish. Ultimately it does depend on what kind of uni you want to go to - if it's one of the top ones then you might need to change, but ultimatley your choices are fine. One of the worst things you can do is take a subject that you don't enjoy for a level.
Again I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Law Unis dont take law seriously. They prefer that you learn everything at the beginning, with what they are teach you on the course. If you are serious about the career then dont do Law A level, as in many ways its frowned upon. if you wnat to do it because its interesting and new in a similar way to sociology then go ahead.

Good Luck.. sorry.
xx
Ok...lol next choice and probably final!!

History
English Lit
Philosophy
Drama
General Studies(Compulsory)

Comments...??

xxxxxx
Senurita-Anita
Ok...lol next choice and probably final!!

History
English Lit
Philosophy
Drama
General Studies(Compulsory)

Comments...??

xxxxxx

The first three are certainly respected by unis. If you're happy with them, then go for it :smile:
Senurita-Anita
What kind of maths is the best A-Level??

Mechanics or Statistics??

Might swap sociology for maths or philosophy.

xx

Stats probably. It's supposed to be slightly easier, and mechanics is only taken at my college by the physics students.
So am I right in thinking that

History
Philosophy
English Lit

will help me get into law schools yes?? I do not neccesarily need Law!!??

xx
Senurita-Anita

History
Philosophy
English Lit

xx

They'll get you into law schools, and you don't need law.
*Star*Guitar*
They'll get you into law schools, and you don't need law.

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

to everyone!! (:

xxxx
They're excellent choices :smile:
Senurita-Anita

History
Philosophy
English Lit

xx

It would be better if you did 4 to AS as some universities would question not doing that, I think... correct me if I'm wrong.
And for History I would advise asking your teachers exactly what you'd be studying to make sure that you will enjoy the course content. :smile:
annab1684
It would be better if you did 4 to AS as some universities would question not doing that, I think... correct me if I'm wrong.
And for History I would advise asking your teachers exactly what you'd be studying to make sure that you will enjoy the course content. :smile:

OP is doing Drama as well (to AS) as well as Gennerz :smile:
General studies is the most pointless a level to have. Serious waste of time. English or history would be a better choice as better for law. English Lit. would be fine for going into law.
cheeseandbiscuits
General studies is the most pointless a level to have. Serious waste of time.

As it says in the thread - its compulsory for the OP.
Hehehe...yehh!!!

It really sucks, ahhh well, at least it gives an overall on politics and bla bla!!!

Thanks guys, love this site!! :smile:

xxx
Hi OP

Reading through what everyone has written and your replies it doesnt seem that you really enjoy history. People may be saying that it is a respected subject but unless you are certain that you will enjoy the content i wouldnt take it. Check with your teachers and the college on what the course contains. You dont want to be doing a subject you dont enjoy because the dislike will show in your grades. i found that when i did RS, i wasnt really into it and basically i didnt revise because i found it boriing and not my first priority so i only got a B in the AS and then dropped it.

If you want to know anything about a-level maths just ask away. i did the whole A-level in a year so any questions are welcome. As for stats or mechanics, i personally hate mechanics and unless you are pretty good at physics (at least understand physics) then you would probs do better. Saying that, matsh with mechanics works well with physics AS so that could be an option to consider. I personally prefer stats but most of my class think im mad and they like mechanics. If you wanted to take an easy maths there is always decision which is worth exactly the same but is really really easy (so they say, i didnt take it).

As said loads of times before english is good and you dont need law to do a law degree. Some unis ask for a test to be done but i cant remember what its called. Its sort of an entry test on law but as far as im aware it has no relevence to the A-level law and is indepepndent to all your subjects.

To get a better idea of you, would you be able to tell us what subjects you are doig as GCSE and which are you stongest/favourite. that way i might be able to give better advise.

BTW, maths is so much fun!

Latest