The Student Room Group

Same texts in uni as A level

Hello! I noticed that some of the first-year texts for my uni course are very common at A level. Are these included in the modules because we'll be studying them at a deeper level or because they are classic canon texts? Will some of the lectures repeat what I've already studied? Thanks in advance!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by stargirl1326
Hello! I noticed that some of the first-year texts for my uni course are very common at A level. Are these included in the modules because we'll be studying them at a deeper level or because they are classic canon texts? Will some of the lectures repeat what I've already studied? Thanks in advance!

Honestly, it's up to the universities what they choose. There are so many exam boards and A level texts that I doubt it's because they were from A levels themself.

I had texts across all three of my undergraduate years that I'd studied before at some point. I studied Twelfth Night in first year. I did Dracula and The Picture Of Dorian Grey for a presentation in second year. All these texts I did at A level. I did Of Mice And Men in third year, a text I studied briefly at school as well. It's promarily because of their status as literary classics that a university module convenors will put a text on the course, rather than their status as an A level text. If you get one that you did study and you enjoyed it, then that's more than likely a lucky pick. Remember that some people won't have done those texts as well at A level due to exam boards!

Hope this helps,
Dom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending