The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Mine was quite a bit over 4000 unfinished, I cut i down to under 4000, have re-edited many times and cut down and am now at 3834 thinking this is too short and there must be more I can add.
Castelbajac
Are you sure you are up to studying the subject to degree level if you're struggling to write 4000 characters on it now?

It's been my hobby for years, and the college diploma I'm doing atm is related to it, and I want to do it as a career. It's too late for me to re-think whether this course is right for me.

Thanks for the tips, my PS will be 3000+ chars by tonight. :wink:
what is the course btw?
Phil2008
It's been my hobby for years, and the college diploma I'm doing atm is related to it, and I want to do it as a career. It's too late for me to re-think whether this course is right for me.

Some aspect of games development, perchance? :wink:

You need to make sure you address is as an academic course first and foremost, rather than a hobby you want to spend more time on. That should send you towards 4,000 quite easily. :smile:
IlexAquifolium
Some aspect of games development, perchance? :wink:

You need to make sure you address is as an academic course first and foremost, rather than a hobby you want to spend more time on. That should send you towards 4,000 quite easily. :smile:

Close :wink:
Software engineering. :pcguru:
Reply 25
i believe that 1300 characters it is not enough,try reaching 2500minimum
best regards
Reply 26
I think it is too short for Software Engineering, think of some more stuff. Make it an enjoyable read, for example I structured mine like this -

- How I came to like the subject and topics involved. (e.g. from a young age... etc)
- Why I want to do the subject (although this is partially explained in the first point)
- My school subjects - What I have learnt from them, what I can benefit from for my course
- Some awards I achieved recently and why they would be useful for the course (e.g. Duke of Edinburgh - teamwork, Senior maths challenge - solving problems, any certificates you can find)
- My hobbies and interests, sports, etc
- A neat conclusion to round things up

The first three points covered about 2/3rds of my statement, so make sure you concentrate on those the most.

I came to about 3800 characters in total, you may have to go on a bit, but don't be repetitive. Good luck :smile:
The paragraph in my PS about the books I'd read for Economics was, in itself, 1386 characters. That doesn't include the introduction, the academic extra-curricular, and the general extra-curricular paragraphs.

3,826 characters in all.

In other words, keep going!
Reply 28
i think it is too short. mine was originally 8000 lol and i didnt waffle one bit. So i had to cut it down.
Can you honestly not think of anything else to write?
I dont want to be harsh, but if you want to go and study at a university for higher education for a degree, then only being able to write 1200 characters about yourself doesnt tell anyone much. It just indicates that you are a relatively shallow person (shallow meaning not much to you. 2 dimensional), uninteresting, unwilling to show enthusiasm, etc. In 1200 you cannot possibly talk about yourself, your achievements, why you want to study your chosen subject, what background reading/research you have done, and extra curricular activities.

Please try and write more. I would say 2500 would be a healthy minimum. Good luck :smile:
it is impossible to tell an admissions tutor what the subject means to you/what makes you an able candidate who will suceed in a few lines?

Latest

Trending

Trending