The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This sounds like something I'd love to do.
I'm starting voluntary in my local hospital this month (:biggrin: Soonest they'd allow is 17 and a half years old ..) but I am definitely going to look into this for a summer job for bridging college and uni or if I am forced to take a gap year!
I know this wasn't my thread but current HCAs - you've been very informative thanks!
Reply 21
My first HCA job was with an agency. I then moved to NHS professionals. Back in the days I had little training (just mendatory manual hadlig, fire sefty, BLS etc) and then I was thrown right into the deep end of MAU to either sick or swim on my first shift. I had previous care experience but nevertheless my first ever shift in hospital was a bit hair raisig (I will never forget the face of that poor night nurse when I anounced that I never worked in hospital before and I was her only HCA).

I pretty much only do nights with an occasional late thrown in. I work all over the hospital but I tend to choose wards where majority of patients are mobile and self caring. This days mostly mostly surgical admissions, renal dialysis and short stay medical ward.

I recomend nights. Pay is better and it is generaly less hectic (with exception of admission wards which can be as crazy as ever).
maybe i am a bit negative but i sort of thought that article was a bit rosery and fluffy and nice when in fact HCA work is often unpleasent and dull.
Hummm im gonna try ringing and harrassing the HR departments now - i just keep getting rejected online. Do i tell them im a medical student or not??
I did have a nice care in the community job which i liked assessing peoples homes and stuff until the stupid DVLA decided they needed to wait another month and a half on my licence!!
Reply 24
fairy spangles
Hummm im gonna try ringing and harrassing the HR departments now - i just keep getting rejected online. Do i tell them im a medical student or not??
I did have a nice care in the community job which i liked assessing peoples homes and stuff until the stupid DVLA decided they needed to wait another month and a half on my licence!!

Don't apply online. Call HR/recruitment directly. Have you tried NHS professionals?
belis
Don't apply online. Call HR/recruitment directly. Have you tried NHS professionals?

I think ive just done one better i phoned HR in one hospital and got HCA interview and community care HCA cause i can pair up with someone!!

Phoned the other they dont have any HCA bank but i got an interview for clinical chemistry i applied for a few weeks ago and told to send my application for biomedical science in haematology straight to the head of biomedical sciences and he'd get me an interview.

How easy was that?? Im actually sitting here in shock that was well easy!! Im so lucky i have the gift of the gab!!
I've got two more hospitals to phone. Cheers guys!!
Reply 26
Best of luck for the interviews. I hope you get a decent job in the end.
Do you reckcon its easier to write a letter to HR departments or call? (or letter then follow up by phone?)

If I send a letter, would it be best to include a CV or a sheet explaining why I'd be suitable, or just to leave it as "blah blah blah any information on opportunities available would be greatly appreciated, as to which I shall take it from there." kinda thing?
applemilk1992
Do you reckcon its easier to write a letter to HR departments or call? (or letter then follow up by phone?)

If I send a letter, would it be best to include a CV or a sheet explaining why I'd be suitable, or just to leave it as "blah blah blah any information on opportunities available would be greatly appreciated, as to which I shall take it from there." kinda thing?

Defo call. Ive been applying for months to no luck. One phone call and all is good.
applemilk1992

CALL. Or visit. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you seem very reticent to get in touch with anybody in person. I understand it is nerve wracking (for the research project I am doing this year I have to ring up total strangers and try and get them to give up three hours of their time to do MY research study, it's horrible!), but at the end of the day you are much more likely to get a response in person. It's like with shadowing - send 30 letters to doctors, you'll be lucky to get one back. Approach one in person (my favourite method!) and they can't say no!!
LatinMachine
CALL. Or visit. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you seem very reticent to get in touch with anybody in person. I understand it is nerve wracking (for the research project I am doing this year I have to ring up total strangers and try and get them to give up three hours of their time to do MY research study, it's horrible!), but at the end of the day you are much more likely to get a response in person. It's like with shadowing - send 30 letters to doctors, you'll be lucky to get one back. Approach one in person (my favourite method!) and they can't say no!!

aah no offence taken. See I'm only 16 at the moment, 17 in march, and so just thought in a way it'd be better to write in a 'requesting information, seeing if the opportunity is avaiable now/for when I turn 17', but from what people have said, it seems much better to go in person, which I shall do.
glenn22
i only had to do one orientation shift, and was then employed, but my training took forever (it was only actually 4 days, but they were spread over 4 months!!! not good)
however it has been worth it, for sundays i get time + 78% (so like almost £12 an hour) and i also do "specialing" shifts on neuro, which involves just looking after a single patient which can be nice from time to time.

Its a really good job and bank is good because you only have to work one shift minimum every 6 months (at my trust anyway) so i can keep the job through university by working holidays, as well as hopefully going at the bank wherever i go to study medicine.

That sounds just like my experience, and I see you're Welsh as well - Cardiff and Vale by any chance? If so, I guess we've probably done 'special' shifts with the same patients, haha..

Either way, it's a fab job OP: I work for the Nurse Bank and get paid around £10/hour overnight and on Saturdays, and around £7/hour the rest of the time (I don't work Sundays, but if I did I think the pay would be around £12/hour - same goes for bank holidays). Besides the regular personal care duties (washing, feeding, aiding patients to the toilet etc) I also perform observations (blood pressure; oxygen saturation; heart rate; temperature etc), ECGs, enemas, suctioning and BMs (blood-sugar tests for diabetics) as well as changing feeds, dressings, colostomy bags, catheter bags and so on. Aside of that, the job also entails preparing dead bodies for the morgue, 'special' work (where you work as an individual or as part of a team with just one patient) and assisting senior nurses or doctors with more complicated procedures such as sigmoidoscopies, cannulation, catheterisation and so on. It's not complicated in the slightest - it's actually really good fun a lot of the time, and gives the opportunity to pick up a huge amount of knowledge, if you're observant. The brilliant thing about working for a Nurse Bank, too, is that you get to work *everywhere* - I've been in theatre, A&E, post-surgery, neuropsychology, rehab, mental health, even an 'infectious diseases' unit, where everyone is barrier-nursed... basically you name it, I've worked there. Which is fantastic if you're looking for broad work experience. :smile:

I was 19 or 20 when I started doing it, and am now just about to turn 23.

Hope this is of some use to you!
*pitseleh*
That sounds just like my experience, and I see you're Welsh as well - Cardiff and Vale by any chance? If so, I guess we've probably done 'special' shifts with the same patients, haha..

Either way, it's a fab job OP: I work for the Nurse Bank and get paid around £10/hour overnight and on Saturdays, and around £7/hour the rest of the time (I don't work Sundays, but if I did I think the pay would be around £12/hour - same goes for bank holidays). Besides the regular personal care duties (washing, feeding, aiding patients to the toilet etc) I also perform observations (blood pressure; oxygen saturation; heart rate; temperature etc), ECGs, enemas, suctioning and BMs (blood-sugar tests for diabetics) as well as changing feeds, dressings, colostomy bags, catheter bags and so on. Aside of that, the job also entails preparing dead bodies for the morgue, 'special' work (where you work as an individual or as part of a team with just one patient) and assisting senior nurses or doctors with more complicated procedures such as sigmoidoscopies, cannulation, catheterisation and so on. It's not complicated in the slightest - it's actually really good fun a lot of the time, and gives the opportunity to pick up a huge amount of knowledge, if you're observant. The brilliant thing about working for a Nurse Bank, too, is that you get to work *everywhere* - I've been in theatre, A&E, post-surgery, neuropsychology, rehab, mental health, even an 'infectious diseases' unit, where everyone is barrier-nursed... basically you name it, I've worked there. Which is fantastic if you're looking for broad work experience. :smile:

I was 19 or 20 when I started doing it, and am now just about to turn 23.

Hope this is of some use to you!

that sounds really interesting!
I volunteer on a surgical ward, and I'd primarily want to be there if I got the job, but you say theatres (surgery is something im considering as a speciality in the many many many years time until I get past FY1 and 2...), what kind of work does that entail? Is it in the theatre area, like pre op and all that? I'm unsure, as the only HCA's ive seen are ward based, anything theatre is technicians, theatre nurses, drs etc. etc.
Being a theatre HCA is VERY different from being a ward HCA. Although you get to see operations (tres tres cool), you don't exactly get to talk to patients (unless you work in recovery, and even then the patients are asleep most of the time!), and your role involves assisting the docs, passing people equipment, and then clearing up afterwards. I'd say ward experience would give you more to talk about at a medical interview.
applemilk1992
I was volunteering on my ward today, talking to one of the nurses about stuff in general, and she came up with how some med students are part time auxiliary nurses/HCA's, and how you can do it from age 18. There was also an article in SBMJ, namely http://student.bmj.com/issues/08/06/life/232.php

Does anyone have any experience on applying, pay, working conditions etc. etc.? I'm considering changing my part time job from tescos to this kinda thing when I become 18, if it is, of course, possible.

Any advice appreciated

You apply via NHS jobs. Pay is alright, about £6-£10ph depending on where your working really. Working conditions..well it's the NHS, I used to work 9 hour shifts and just got a 15min break, 12 hours i'd get half an hour, depends on how busy we were. It's the best thing i've done for work experience, and i'm currently applying for other part-time positions whilst studying nursing.
applemilk1992
aah no offence taken. See I'm only 16 at the moment, 17 in march, and so just thought in a way it'd be better to write in a 'requesting information, seeing if the opportunity is avaiable now/for when I turn 17', but from what people have said, it seems much better to go in person, which I shall do.

People are likely to ignore letters because they can, this is one thing I've learned from experience! At 16 I was painfully shy, and I don't think I would've ever had the guts to go and ask someone for a job, but 5 years does wonders for your confidence :smile: Best of luck with it, and let us know how it goes!
applemilk1992
that sounds really interesting!
I volunteer on a surgical ward, and I'd primarily want to be there if I got the job, but you say theatres (surgery is something im considering as a speciality in the many many many years time until I get past FY1 and 2...), what kind of work does that entail? Is it in the theatre area, like pre op and all that? I'm unsure, as the only HCA's ive seen are ward based, anything theatre is technicians, theatre nurses, drs etc. etc.

You can do pre-op and post-op work as a regular HCA; actual in-theatre work is a bit different: you're essentially an extra pair of hands for your seniors, to be honest.. so it entails a lot of passing things and holding things. You do get to see a lot.. but then again, I was allowed to watch surgery (for the work experience) before I ever did theatre work - I think that's down to hospital policy though.

As someone pointed out above, though, if you work solely in theatre you get very little experience of interacting with patients.
This is something i would definately want to do in easter & summer holidays. I did actually apply through nhs jobs but i kept on gettin rejections. This time hopefully calling would make a difference! thanks guys :smile:
I'm applying for a job as a HCA, should I say I'm a medical student? I don't really have much experience, I have worked in a hospital but it was in admin and I did a fair amount of volunteering before I came here but very little care stuff.
Reply 39
I work in MAU as a full-time HCA and I'm planning to work bank near whatever university I *hopefully* get an offer for for medicine.
It really is brilliant experience, I've learnt so much more from it than I did from work experience, in terms of doctors daily lives, interaction of different HC professionals and just improving basic skills like empathy and communication. As well as all the normal HCA stuff I also accompany patients to be transferred and to CTs, MRIs, Ultrasounds, OGDs, X-Rays so I've gotten to see a lot of radiology and the radiologists know me so they always let me guess what's wrong with the pic and teach me how they know :biggrin:
I just applied online at www.jobs.nhs.uk, they sometimes have bank work advertised on there also depending on where you are or alternatively you can apply online at NHS professionals.
At my hospital the HCAs go on a full-time 2 week training (fire safety, manual handling, basic life support etc.) then have 2 weeks full-time supernumery then start on their own which was enough for me to feel comfortable. I don't know about the bank staff training but every time a new bank worker comes onto the ward they have to have an induction to the ward (where everything is, the daily routine, any special procedures)

Latest

Trending

Trending