The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Apollinariya
Fun. :smile:

cheers

TOSCS
lol, would you not have asked?

lol I did one when I was about 11 (we met on holiday in Jersey when we were both about 8) but she never told me in her letter that followed. Maybe she forgot. And then after that she used it several more times in several more letters, and I kept meaning to ask her again, but then when I got around to writing the letters I always forgot to ask.

We don't talk that much these days. Now and again maybe three or four times a year we catch each other on msn but that's about it. That's what happens when you grow up, you lose touch with people. I'd love to see her again one day. We never re-met after that first holiday where we met.

Sorry I'm getting totally off topic. I'd like to visit Ireland one day. But I don't think I'd want to live there - I'd never for the life of me understand what people are saying if they have thick accents.
put simply: yes =]
Reply 22
You realise that the standard of lviing in the republic is incredibly expensive?
People come from Cork (Like 8 hours away) come to our local Asda to buy their groceries, and with the petrol and everything added in, it costs them half the price to shop up North.
You also have to pay for your healthcare and education.
I lived there for two years. Was nice, loved the community spirit, hated the prejudice against me for being English. It's a beautiful country and in general the people are so nice; but it is very expensive, I hated not being able to drive on motorways! Everything took so long! I would and have gone back for holiday's, but that's more than enough for me at the moment, maybe at retiring age.
Reply 24
NoPurposeTortoise
Dairy milk chocolate is different down south....it is much creamier and taste sooooo good. And if that isn't a good enough reason I don't know what is :smile:

What? The only chocolate I tasted down south was vile!
I imagine it'd be quite a nice, friendly place to live, with beautiful scenery, but I've read news stories before about prejudice against English people. I also heard that it now costs 8 Euros a pint in central Dublin, which is horrific even if the exchange rate hadn't become so bad!
doingmybest
I lived there for two years. Was nice, loved the community spirit, hated the prejudice against me for being English.

Really? :eek:
Reply 27
bansheeee*
is that shop street in galway city?

It's Kinsale, county Cork
Reply 28
EssexDan86
I imagine it'd be quite a nice, friendly place to live, with beautiful scenery, but I've read news stories before about prejudice against English people. I also heard that it now costs 8 Euros a pint in central Dublin, which is horrific even if the exchange rate hadn't become so bad!

It's harmless really. Plenty of paddies came over here and done well for themselves, they can't deny the opposite to Brits.

And beer prices in Irish pubs are a joke.
Reply 29
bansheeee*
is that shop street in galway city?

No, it's 'Main St' in Kinsale apparently.

You're from Galway and you had to ask if that was Shop St??

Mikimoto
You also have to pay for your healthcare and education.

:rolleyes: university education is [for now at least] free.

And yes, there can be a bit of anti-English sentiment but it's rarely any more than a casual slagging. And it's understandable anyway.
Reply 30
TOSCS

:rolleyes: university education is [for now at least] free.

What's with the rolling eyes? I made a mistake.

Yes, university education is free, I forgot about that. However, it's also made more inaccessible owing to the number of A-levels needed for uni, because of the ratio needed against the leaving cert.
Apollinariya
Really? :eek:

Really that I hated it? Received it? Or are you being sarcastic? :p:
Reply 32
Mikimoto
What's with the rolling eyes? I made a mistake.

Yes, university education is free, I forgot about that. However, it's also made more inaccessible owing to the number of A-levels needed for uni, because of the ratio needed against the leaving cert.

Eh? I pissed about with my A-Levels, got BCCe and got 430 points or something.
Fusion
Lower taxes, low population density, greenest landscape on earth, scenic, english speaking, next door to Britain, no terror threat, friendly, good craic, irish culture, unique national sport, Euro currency, neutral foreign policy, and has the highest birth rate in Europe.

I am very tempted, though i've yet to notice a terror threat here worth worrying about, and the highest birthrate thing is a recipe for it turning into something slightly more like home.
doingmybest
Really that I hated it? Received it? Or are you being sarcastic? :p:

Lol, sorry. I just couldn't believe you'd received it. :o:
Reply 35
terpineol
I am very tempted, though i've yet to notice a terror threat here worth worrying about, and the highest birthrate thing is a recipe for it turning into something slightly more like home.

It's more the baggage that comes with it: I.D cards, police state etc
Reply 36
thanx but no thanx
Reply 37
Yeah, because I can easily gain citizenship due to my mother. Would be fun, I think... certainly something I'd consider.
Reply 38
I've still yet to see the Republic, so I can't really comment. I imagine Dublin is quite nice, and I'd certainly consider it if I was going to emigrate, but I'm not really willing to at this stage. I'm happy where I am.

I doubt I'd much care for rural Ireland though.
Reply 39
I got bored of ireland after a 2 wk holiday. Its not bad to visit somewhere for a few days but I couldn't live there. Where I live at the moment isnt busy enough for me and I live outside Belfast so I'm planning to head to England as soon as possible...

Latest

Trending

Trending