The Student Room Group

Best University for MA in Linguistics?

I would like to do an MA in Linguistics with emphasis on Socioliguistics. Some courses seem particularly interesting e.g Language Discourse and Communication at King's College, Cross-cultural communication and Applied Linguistics at Newcastle Uni, General Linguistics and Comparative Philology at Oxford, Linguistics and English Language at Manchester Uni. and quite a few more of the same subject more or less.
Which University has the best linguistics department? How about East Anglia and Essex? I've checked the league tables already but I think personal experiences matter..So, has anyone of you taken any of these courses? Any information/ advice/ experiences/ opinions would be very helpful as I'm having a hard time choosing a course let alone a University! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, linguistics is not really my thing so can't comment extensively. But I know someone who did their PhD in phonetics at Oxford and said the linguistics was excellent and definitely worth it. I am afraid i can't help much more. But don't forget league tables are based on undergraduate results/data so don't really apply to MA programmes. Good luck with finding the right course!
Reply 2
I studied the MSt in General Linguistics and Comparative Philology at Oxford last year. I wouldn't know which place is best for sociolinguistics, though, since that's not really my area. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions though.

Latest

Trending

Trending