The Student Room Group

do some scottish schools do A levels in 5th year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Pepperoni
I know somebody with 5 A's at Higher and still had to get another A at Higher, plus Advanced Chem. Ugghh.
A school in my town (St Andrews) does A-Levels instead of Highers and a girl I know is taking A2 Art, the only A Level instead of higher at her school.

Out of interest, who was the person with the 5 A's at higher, and what course?
Also, yeah, St. Leonards suck for that, they all got in the paper for getting A* at GCSE's, whereas we got nothing!
Fettes College near Edinburgh definitely do A-Levels and GCSEs, my friend went there. It's a bit uppity, to be nice.
There is only the one school in my area that follow's the english system - Gordonstoun, but being private as well that's proberly why.
Reply 23
Gordenston do A Levels and GCSEs and all of that.
Its a private school and the idea behind it is to get you into Oxford and other good English universitys easier. Dunno why you'd want to, our system is fine and Scottish unis are just as good with no fees either :p:
Reply 24
rosie9391
There is only the one school in my area that follow's the english system - Gordonstoun, but being private as well that's proberly why.

Oh I never read your post.
Are you from Moray by any chance?
xo-Heva
Oh I never read your post.
Are you from Moray by any chance?

Yeah, why are you :P
Reply 26
rosie9391
Yeah, why are you :P

Yep :p:
xo-Heva
Yep :p:

Cool, the second person on here I know comes from Moray! Are you near Elgin or out a bit??
Reply 28
i live in moray as well but i live 16 miles from Elgin
Reply 29
I know that some public schools do A Levels for art rather than AH in S6 around Edinburgh, like Portobello High School.
vicky lulu
i live in moray as well but i live 16 miles from Elgin

Yeah more Moray people :P Do you go to Speyside High??

Oh how is the snow up with you now - i seen some pics in the paper and well, it looked fun!
Pepperoni
I know somebody with 5 A's at Higher and still had to get another A at Higher, plus Advanced Chem. Ugghh.

For what? :eek:

I find the fact that some Scottish schools do A-levels really sad tbh. :frown:
ArcadiaHouse

Their loss :tongue:
Reply 33
ArcadiaHouse

Medicine at Glasgow, provided the A was in a science subject. I've never even had an A so the pressure is really on me this year!
Pepperoni
Medicine at Glasgow, provided the A was in a science subject. I've never even had an A so the pressure is really on me this year!

For Highers? :smile:
Reply 35
ArcadiaHouse
For Highers? :smile:

I'm a straight B girl. The A grade sits up on it's high horse and taunts me from above.
Reply 36
rosie9391
Yeah more Moray people :P Do you go to Speyside High??

Oh how is the snow up with you now - i seen some pics in the paper and well, it looked fun!

YEAH WELL THE SNOW IS MANILY ALL GONE NOW WE HAVE PILES OF SNOW IN SOME PLACES BUT WE HAD TRACTORS UP TAKING THE SNOW AWAY
most boarding schools do A levels or IB in Scotland
Original post by Pepperoni

That's pretty standard for Medicine. St Andrews like applicants to have AAAAA at Higher then AAA at Advanced Higher. :tongue:
Reply 39
This is a 2009 thread, guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending