The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Feeling Down

Hey.

Everyone on here who attends Lancaster Uni says it is great and that they really love being here. Yet, since I got here, all I can think about is dropping out. I feel really isolated; I am struggling to make friends but at the same time, dislike my courses. I think maybe it is a general "not being a uni type of person" thing but I was just wondering, what sort of things do you do (which have resulted in you having such a good time) and have you ever felt like this?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I felt exactly the same way last year in my first and again this year in my second.

I hated being here and found it hard to make new friends (Most of my friends had left the university or were taking residence elsewhere from me) and had some issues with my course. Things changed eventually, it just took a little time and work!

Try and take a positive attitude to it and eventually everything'll just click together and you'll find some great friends and find yourself getting in to the whole experience. I know it's easier said than done but you've gotta make an effort if it's ever gonna happen.

Maybe it's something in the Lancaster air that gets people like this? Heh

I'm sure there are plenty of people here in the Lancaster TSR forum you could get to know too, I know I'm always up for a chat if you want to add me on MSN some time! Chin up kiddo!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Agree pretty much with what Rhys said. A few people have posted here before in exactly the same situation - I think they eventually sorted out a TSR meetup or something :tongue:

You could always take a look at some societies too, as they can be very good for meeting new people.
Reply 3
I know it doesn't feel this way at the time, but honestly, it is still early days for First Years. There IS a sense of community on campus, and it IS a friendly place, but it can take quite a lot of time for you to feel it. I began to really settle in during summer term, when I had found my real friends. The person who is now my best friend, my "friend for life" I hope, I did not even meet until the middle of March.
I hated ny first term and a half. Then it started to improve. Now I don't want to graduate.
Don't give up. Don't isolate yourself, keep on getting out there and trying new experiences and groups. Go to Refreshers Fair tomorrow, see if there are any socieites that look promising. In time things will click into place.
Don't lose heart, it can be a lonely place, especially in the first couple of terms.

I found the first term quite difficult, mostly because my friends at other uni's were busy going "THIS IS THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE!" and I was feeling a bit like...well it's alright I suppose...

But it does get better :smile: As time goes on you meet friends of friends, you meet THEIR friends...I personally am in the Badminton society just so I can go to the socials :p:

Just don't give up on it, friday fury's fun... are you going? I wasn't really into going out last year, the whole thing intimidated me, but now I enjoy it, it's a fairly good way to network and meet randomers, and you don't have to drink! Paws for a soft drink and all that :smile:
Reply 5
Hey. Sorry to hear you're feeling down :hugs:

I also felt really down in my first year... it felt like I didn't really fit in with everyone else and I felt really lonely. Like Liz, it was summer term before I made really good close friends and felt totally settled. And now, I wouldn't change anything.

For me it was just a case of keeping talking to people - in my flat, on my course and in socities and eventually things just clicked.

I hope things pick up for you soon!

Latest

Trending

Trending