Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
RedRevolver
What about Townhouse bedrooms.

seem a similar size to ensuite rooms, but without the bathroom. so a bit more floor/desk space.
room sizes are generally not much different. it's not really an issue in terms of on campus accommodation.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 581
StuAndMma
Double studios are the biggest (and yet cheapest) rooms on campus on Southwest - biggest individual rooms are the standard studios but they cost more as the cost isn't split.

Studios are not meant to be for double occupancy. They are for one (very rich) student. Lots of people do share them, but they are officially for single people and the whole rent is charged to one person, not split between two.
Lizj
Studios are not meant to be for double occupancy. They are for one (very rich) student. Lots of people do share them, but they are officially for single people and the whole rent is charged to one person, not split between two.

As I live in a double studio I think I should know that they're for 2 people. :wink:

There's standard studios then the bigger double versions. The latter, as the name implies, are designed for couples (or sometimes disabled people as some are built with disabled facilities). :cool:
Reply 583
Lizj

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/accommodation/ugaccom.html#
Pendle and Grizedale Colleges each offer 72 self contained studios. Most are single occupancy though there are a handful of twin studios in each block.

Apparently, some are twin... :smile:
1. Fylde Superior Ensuite
2. County Townhouse
Reply 585
1. County Superior Standart
2. Grizedale Townhouses

Fingers crossed for County!!!
Reply 586
Does anyone know what the basic en-suite in Fylde, or anyother college, or like?
Reply 587
StuAndMma
As I live in a double studio I think I should know that they're for 2 people. :wink:

There's standard studios then the bigger double versions. The latter, as the name implies, are designed for couples (or sometimes disabled people as some are built with disabled facilities). :cool:

Seriously? I never knew that! How much do thy charge for them? Although it's too late for me now...
Lizj
Seriously? I never knew that! How much do thy charge for them? Although it's too late for me now...

This year it was about £136/w for the room, so about £68/w each which is a bargain lol.

Only problem is everything is in the room (fridge/cooking stuff etc...) so there is no communal area, but as long as you join societies and stuff isn't a problem keeping social!
Reply 589
Hey there, am supposed to be choosing accomodation for Lancaster atm, was wondering if theres a particularly good college, or whether any type of accomodation is more fun with more parties etc. I've heard that with other unis, the accomodation without ensuits are usually more fun with more parties and stuff, and that it seems the shyer people go for en suite. I could be way overthinking this though :P
Yes, you're way overthinking things. People of all sorts go for all of the colleges, although I'd say that those in standard do tend to see each other more than those in ensuite.
Reply 591
Teao the Cat
Yes, you're way overthinking things. People of all sorts go for all of the colleges, although I'd say that those in standard do tend to see each other more than those in ensuite.

this is my experience also..

its easier for people to hide in ensuite rooms, but much of the new accommodation has shared bathrooms between less people..

all the south west blocks with ~8 people per kitchen are good as you can usually find someone to get on with in your kitchen, or the one next door...

but generally speaking there is little difference between the modern accommodation, ash house is the cheap stuff, and thus abit shoddy, but beyond that its kinda a moot point..
Reply 592

generally good,

bowland's is the old grad college stuff, and the rooms are nicer than the new ones, though the kitchens are for 4 rather than 8...

nearly all the rest of the ensuite stuff is the same, its all been built in the last 6 years and is all the same... just some is slightly newer... though they do seem to replace the furnishings about every 4 years i think...
I think that the Lancaster Res-Admin page - http://www.facebook.com/LUAccommodation?ref=ts - has pictures of both basic en-suite and superior en-suite on their page.

I believe that the basic en-suite will be generally older, and I'm pretty sure that the actual difference between them is minimal...

Also, this is what has been put on the Fylde college mini-site in regards to residences:

"Fylde has two main residences. The 'Windmill' Houses (all named after Windmills in the Fylde area) and the George Fox residences. The latter are older and based on corridors sharing kitchens. In the Windmill Houses flats are of 8 persons sharing a kitchen diner."

- http://www.lancs.ac.uk/colleges/fylde/allabout/aboutfrm.htm

Hope that helps you out :smile:
Reply 594
Teao the Cat

this can be true. but then again, you can have friendly ensuite rooms, and unfriendly standard. that's the fun of halls unfortunately!

colleges dont really live up to the generalizations that they get... do not listen to the BS in the accommodation guide! load of rubbish. just choose a college based on factors that are important to you (ensuite/standard? proximity to the centre of campus/away from the centre? price?). it's luck of the draw whether or not you get fun flatmates, no one college is the 'party' college. dont worry!

i chose my college cuz its right near everything and didnt think id go to lectures if i lived at south-west :p:
Nah :biggrin: I just finished my app today :-s Hope that I'll have the one like I want.

I chose Furness - standard room as my 1st choice and Fylde - basic ensuite as my 2nd choice :biggrin:

Those 2 got me interested the most :biggrin:

Not to mention, there are 2 colleges talking all about tree and boar xD That was so funny.
Reply 596
duonghuyenmy2210
Nah :biggrin: I just finished my app today :-s Hope that I'll have the one like I want.

I chose Furness - standard room as my 1st choice and Fylde - basic ensuite as my 2nd choice :biggrin:

Those 2 got me interested the most :biggrin:

Not to mention, there are 2 colleges talking all about tree and boar xD That was so funny.

*waves* May see you around the circle if you get your first choice. :smile:
Reply 597
Grizedale townhouses - 12 people in each....worked for me...not heard of anyone unhappy with their experience in them :smile:
1st choice- County Townhouse

2nd choice- Lonsdale Superior En-suite

Hopefully I'll get the townhouse as I'll hvae to work less to afford it.
Allan-Moose
1st choice- County Townhouse

2nd choice- Lonsdale Superior En-suite

Hopefully I'll get the townhouse as I'll hvae to work less to afford it.

Wish I'd gone with Townhouse first now.

Ah well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending