Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by georrggiiia
thanks for the reply! :smile: i will probably end up just bringing my laptop to watch movies on, i was also wondering whether the flats we will move into will be just freshers? Thanks for any help :smile:

Original post by lizj
flats vary. Some are all freshers, but i think that the majority have some returners in them too. Either way, you will have a kitchen rep assigned to your flat, who will be around to help you settle in and find your way around in fresher's week.

like meee!!!!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
all the flats in our block were all freshers or all 3rd years.
Hi guys.

My sister is going to Lancaster (hopefully!) this October and was wondering what are the chances of ending up in catered accommodation if you applied for self catered? She said she couldn't find this information on their website.

She's very into baking, cooking her own meals and experimenting with food so would be very disappointed if she was allocated catered accommodation.

I apologise if this has already been asked before.

Thanks.
Original post by Zottula
Hi guys.

My sister is going to Lancaster (hopefully!) this October and was wondering what are the chances of ending up in catered accommodation if you applied for self catered? She said she couldn't find this information on their website.

She's very into baking, cooking her own meals and experimenting with food so would be very disappointed if she was allocated catered accommodation.

I apologise if this has already been asked before.

Thanks.

The way the catering system is arranged, I think it is 99.9% impossible for someone to be given catering when they have asked for self-catering. The people live in the same accommodation, with a full kitchen, and head down to a couple of eateries on campus to have their meals. There is no reason why anyone would be put on that scheme if they don't want it, so don't worry. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
The way the catering system is arranged, I think it is 99.9% impossible for someone to be given catering when they have asked for self-catering. The people live in the same accommodation, with a full kitchen, and head down to a couple of eateries on campus to have their meals. There is no reason why anyone would be put on that scheme if they don't want it, so don't worry. :smile:

Ok thank you very much :smile:. She feels reassured.
I've applied for County and Grizedale townhouses. Could anyone give me a heads up about what storage they provide. How much space is there to put things away :smile:

Anything under the bed?

Thanks
Original post by reeces101
I've applied for County and Grizedale townhouses. Could anyone give me a heads up about what storage they provide. How much space is there to put things away :smile:

Anything under the bed?

Thanks

yepp under the bed coz I think its the same as the ensuite rooms .. and i saw it in my friends' rooms
(Mine was the old Pendle accomm :P)
and infact townhouse rooms are really spacious in the sense that u have longer table and extra shelf space and townhouses are soo much fun!!
on the ground floor u have comfy sofas and dining area and kitchen..
Although County is one END of the campus *ouch* lol
Original post by rockinrads
yepp under the bed coz I think its the same as the ensuite rooms .. and i saw it in my friends' rooms
(Mine was the old Pendle accomm :P)
and infact townhouse rooms are really spacious in the sense that u have longer table and extra shelf space and townhouses are soo much fun!!
on the ground floor u have comfy sofas and dining area and kitchen..
Although County is one END of the campus *ouch* lol

Hey

I picked Grizedale Townhouse as my first choice and County Townhouse as my second. But then I decided to change my mind as people were telling me County was better, being the sheep that I am.

Is the walk from county to the George Fox building? I'm studying Marketing with Psychology and have been told that most my lectures will be there.

Also, is the walk to alexandra square much?

Hey

I picked Grizedale Townhouse as my first choice and County Townhouse as my second. But then I decided to change my mind as people were telling me County was better, being the sheep that I am.

Is the walk from county to the George Fox building? I'm studying Marketing with Psychology and have been told that most my lectures will be there.

Not at all Its not a far walk - 2 minutes til alex square, 5 to george fox. (3 for my boyfriend and about 8 for me, so depends on your walking speed :P)
Original post by ponpon14
Not at all Its not a far walk - 2 minutes til alex square, 5 to george fox. (3 for my boyfriend and about 8 for me, so depends on your walking speed :P)

Oh that's nothing :')

Thanks for the advice. I'll leave my choices as they are then :smile:
Reply 1390
Original post by ponpon14

I can get from InfoLab Bus stop to the Pharmacy in 10. You just need to know where the least congestion is. :biggrin:

Anything under the bed?

Thanks

I chose county and grizedale townhouses too, and have been hoping to find more abouot storage space, and about what i might need to buy!

kitchen wise, what will i need in a town house? plates, cutlery, pans, utensils...? i'm kind of clueless and was wondering what i will need, as i'm going away the day after results day for a month, so need to get things asap.

thanks
Original post by lizwhite25

I chose county and grizedale townhouses too, and have been hoping to find more abouot storage space, and about what i might need to buy!

kitchen wise, what will i need in a town house? plates, cutlery, pans, utensils...? i'm kind of clueless and was wondering what i will need, as i'm going away the day after results day for a month, so need to get things asap.

thanks

Wasn't in a townhouse but I can't imagine you'll be supplied with anything in the kitchen, other than: microwave(s) and kettle(s).

You'll have to bring your own plates, cutlery, pans and utensils.

I was in County Superior Standard so it may be slightly different, but under the beds were two storage spaces where I stored any bags and boxes. :smile:
Original post by Jordan-Kirby
Wasn't in a townhouse but I can't imagine you'll be supplied with anything in the kitchen, other than: microwave(s) and kettle(s).

You'll have to bring your own plates, cutlery, pans and utensils.

I was in County Superior Standard so it may be slightly different, but under the beds were two storage spaces where I stored any bags and boxes. :smile:

thanks for the help!

I guessed cutlery and plates were needed so grabbed some sale ones, but wasn't sure about pans and utensils - huge help, can get them before i go away and be ready to go.

thanks

If you get caught short kitchen-wise, the charity shop on campus sells things like plates, cups, cutlery. Not in nice matching sets of course, but that sort of thing can certainly tide you over a few weeks whilst you get sorted out. :smile:

As others have said, the flats/townhouses do not come with anything for the kitchen. You have to bring your own pans etc. In second/third year, you might decide to share stuff with the people you are living with, but I'd definitely come prepared for first year. Some flats/townhouses bond really well and decide to share anyway, but others don't. Neither are right or wrong, just different. So, I'd come prepared with the basics you'll need imagining if you'll only have the stuff you bring to use.
Eg, a frying pan or wok, a couple of sauce pans [of differing sizes], a few dinner and side plates, a few bowls, a few cups and glasses, knives/forks/spoons, serving and cooking utensils, some baking sheets.
It will obviously depend on how much you plan on cooking and what sort of food you enjoy making. As I adore cooking from stratch [kind of a must for the time I spent as a vegan lol], I took a food processor, a slow cooker, a steamer [for vegetables etc] and things like ramakins, pots for pies etc. :smile:
If you get caught short kitchen-wise, the charity shop on campus sells things like plates, cups, cutlery. Not in nice matching sets of course, but that sort of thing can certainly tide you over a few weeks whilst you get sorted out. :smile:

As others have said, the flats/townhouses do not come with anything for the kitchen. You have to bring your own pans etc. In second/third year, you might decide to share stuff with the people you are living with, but I'd definitely come prepared for first year. Some flats/townhouses bond really well and decide to share anyway, but others don't. Neither are right or wrong, just different. So, I'd come prepared with the basics you'll need imagining if you'll only have the stuff you bring to use.
Eg, a frying pan or wok, a couple of sauce pans [of differing sizes], a few dinner and side plates, a few bowls, a few cups and glasses, knives/forks/spoons, serving and cooking utensils, some baking sheets.
It will obviously depend on how much you plan on cooking and what sort of food you enjoy making. As I adore cooking from stratch [kind of a must for the time I spent as a vegan lol], I took a food processor, a slow cooker, a steamer [for vegetables etc] and things like ramakins, pots for pies etc. :smile:

That is a great help. Luckily still catchig sales in places to get all this cheap. Spent ages debating whether to get pans, utensils and casserole dishes as well. Excited and less stressed now, as I know what to get and won't be in a mad scramble come the week before I move. Picked a bad time to go away in the sense of getting things.
Hey

Normal days shouldnt be a problem but wen its raining and snowy and stuff (raining most of the time) county is one end of the campus and i loved how me and my friends (Pendle & Grizedale) used to just get outta bed for our morning lectures in George Fox
You will be a happy bunny if u get grizedale I'd sayy :smile: and also Alex Sq
depends if u reallyy really need the quiet then and cant study in ur room then u would go to the library or to borrow books maybe and most lectures will be in george fox so u wouldnt really be going to Alex Square as much but then again u may have tutorials and seminars spread out
Luckily mine werent as much spread outthrougfh the campus.. it was once a week i went through alex square in Michaelmas term for my management lectures and thats it!

Or actually come to think of it Alex Square from GZ and county are pretty much the same I'd say :smile:
When is the deadline for Lancaster accommodation application?
There are quite a few people asking about pictures of rooms and the like. I thought it might be helpful if we put up a list of photographs that can then be accessed more easily. I'll keep this post updated with any links/pictures you post.

Bowland
Standard:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Ensuite: [No pictures yet]

Cartmel
Ensuite:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)

County
Standard:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (b) [Main]
Bathroom (b) [Main]
Bathroom (b) [Main]
Superior Standard:
Superior Standard Video
Superior Standard Bedroom (a)
Communal Area (a)
Communal Area (a)
Communal Area (a)
Bathroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Townhouse:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Ensuite:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)

Grizedale
Standard: [No pictures yet]
Townhouse: [No pictures yet]
Ensuite:
Kitchen (a)
Kitchen (a)
Kitchen (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Ensuite (a)
Ensuite (a)

Furness
Standard:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Kitchen (a)
Kitchen (a)
Kitchen (a)
Kitchen (a)

Fylde
Ensuite:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Ensuite (a)
Ensuite (a)
Bedroom (b)
Bedroom (b)
Bedroom (b)
Ensuite (b)
Ensuite (b)

Lonsdale

Pendle
Standard: [No pictures yet]

To note, much of the superior ensuite accommodation is of the same design. For example, Furness and Fylde ensuite were built at the same time, with very similar layouts. The same applies to Lonsdale, Cartmel and Pendle ensuite rooms.

The furniture currently in Pendle and Furness standard rooms is the same, although Furness standard accommodation is due to be refurbished in summer 2011.

Grizedale and County townhouses are also of the same design.

Original post by prettygood

You wont get anything until after results

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending