The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Your duty is to do only what is on your contract

It sounds like a pretty unprofessional work environment to me, and i agree with your idea of finding a new job, good luck
just stand your ground. they do it because they know you're a pushover.
if they can't manage their staff properly and have to close up then that's their fault. if you have plans then either say you have plans and you can't cancel or say you'll only go in if they pay you time and a half or something. I'm sure it will be awkward at first if you say no but after a while they'll either stop asking you or they'll realise there's no point in being hostile.

you say you feel bad, but they're the ones who are being unfair to you.
Reply 3
if they call you up when it's your day off. say NO. seriously if they have to keep closing they might actually think about employing some more staff and stop exploiting your good nature.

don't feel bad. just say no. seriously.
hanna118212
Thankyou. Well I'm never sure if I say to my Mum or anything she just says that it's because they "trust me" I DON'T argree. They know I'm a pushover I suppose so they just take advantage because they know they can I suppose. It makes for such an awkward working atmosphere, I hate it.
When I refused to come in to do some supervising once, my boss just said "It's for a few hours... why can't you just do it"
And I had a hospital appointment that day GRRR. I suppose today should be the last time I come in when someone is sick...

at times like that just turn around and say 'I have a hospital appointment. If it's only a few hours why can't you do it?'

my boss used to call me in on my days off all the time, and she often wouldn't let me know my days for the week (fri-thu) until the friday morning. since i've spoken to her about it things are a lot better. the atmosphere is so much better than when I was pissed off about it all the time. I gather you've tried speaking to your boss though so looks like getting a new job is your best option.:frown:
Find a new job. As soon as they start to take advantage of you that's where it goes downhill. If the others can't be bothered taking up the shift then why should you? If you're seen as a pushover they'll gradually give you more and more hours until it becomes completely unfair. Quit and leave them in the lurch, will serve them right for taking advantage of your kindness :biggrin:
hanna118212
Thanks. I should start doing it I suppose. I do say no but I end up getting talked around into doing it. This supervisor thing too I might have to write a letter and offically decline, send a copy to head office or something. I said I wans't happy doing it, I came in to do a shift and I had to supervise! Mental.

so there's someone above your boss? seeing as it seems there's a ****** atmosphere anyway I would write a letter to whoever's your boss's boss and tell them everything that you're unhappy about. your manager is doing a really bad job and they deserve to know.
Reply 7
******* hell either tell them straight.. or quit.
Stand up for yourself. Sure, it makes things awkward but you need to choose. Having the hours that suit you and that you are contracted to do, sticking up for yourself and getting what is owed and risking awkwardness, or getting walked all over?

You are not being lazy.

Failing that, try and get a new job :p:
Reply 9
I have a good tip for you OP but it depends on if the shop phone you on your home phone which has caller display ( or mobile for that matter), when you see the shops number come up just dont answer it. If they cant get hold of you then you cant go in. The fact that they have to shut the shop because they arent adequately staffed really isnt of your concern. Its up to the owners to employ some more people, so dont feel guilty. You have to have time off work.
No its not fair, & they are taking advantage because you are good basically! But you do need to be more assertive, as you get older, assertiveness comes naturally, but I know when you're younger, it isn't quite there yet.
I think you are just going to have to stick it out until you find something else. Once the current climate picks up, somewhere like a supermarket, will be falling over themselves to have you work for them. And its always way easier to work just your contracted hours in a bigger supermarket.
I guess its fair to expect to be asked to do some overtime, only now n then though. Even though admittedly, I would rather never have to work over my 16 comntracted hours a week, and so far haven't had to, touch wood! even over xmas.
Just try & tolerate it until you find something else.
It does sound a nightmare though! x
you should stand your ground. If it isn't in your contract then legally they can't make you work extra hours. As people say, if there aren't enough staff, they should employ more. I had this when I worked at a supermarket, and I left - best thing I ever did. Hope you find something!
hanna118212
Thankyou. Well I have all the training to lock up, open up, cash up etc. I'm a young hip supervisor baby! Well I don't want anything too permanent, as I am going to uni in September. But it feels like I'm a tad trapped at the moment.

Its a shame the country is in the state it is because Marks & Sparks, Tesco, Sainsburys, would all still be ideal for you, even if you only wanted it temporary. They are brilliant places for temporary work for students. Until all the 'grown ups' decided to take loans out they couldn't afford to pay back which then put us in this dam credit crunch :rolleyes:
Hang on in there, you will find something else, just try & be more assertive when they ask you to work overtime & you really dont want to. Dont let them make you feel guilty x

Latest

Trending

Trending