The Student Room Group

Unable to lower offer once firm?

Hey, I won't go into detail as to why I'm going to request my offer to be lowered (it is due to illness) but I am wondering if there is some sort of rule that uni's are unable to lower their offers once they have either been firmed/insuranced.

I'm going to request my firm to lower my offer, but will they be able to? Or is this only avaliable before you accept them as your firm/insurance?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I think they might. But not obliged to. Is it their standard offer?
Reply 2
artemisa
Hey, I won't go into detail as to why I'm going to request my offer to be lowered (it is due to illness) but I am wondering if there is some sort of rule that uni's are unable to lower their offers once they have either been firmed/insuranced.

I'm going to request my firm to lower my offer, but will they be able to? Or is this only avaliable before you accept them as your firm/insurance?

Thanks.

Speak to the admissions office, they might lower the offer in exceptional circumstances :smile:
Reply 3
Student#1
I think they might. But not obliged to. Is it their standard offer?

No it is slightly higher then their standard.

Forgetting whether they choose to lower it or not, are the actually allowed to lower offers once the student has accepted them as their firm?
Reply 4
artemisa

Forgetting whether they choose to lower it or not, are the actually allowed to lower offers once the student has accepted them as their firm?

I dont think so.. I know people who have got their offers reduced BEFORE accepting them.

I think they might take your case differently as you are sick.

Contact them tomorrow, it will go well :smile:
Reply 5
artemisa

Its a shame that you didn't speak with the admission dept before you accepted the university as your firm choice, it may be difficult, but you won't know until you speak with them:smile:
Reply 6
mullings1
Its a shame that you didn't speak with the admission dept before you accepted the university as your firm choice, it may be difficult, but you won't know until you speak with them:smile:

I havn't actually firmed them yet, but I was hoping to (just to get out of the way), but if it is more difficult then I will leave it and discuss getting the offer lowered before I firm them.

I thought they might see it in a more favourable light if they were already firmed, because now they are just going by me saying that I will firm them.
Reply 7
artemisa
I havn't actually firmed them yet, but I was hoping to (just to get out of the way), but if it is more difficult then I will leave it and discuss getting the offer lowered before I firm them.

I thought they might see it in a more favourable light if they were already firmed, because now they are just going by me saying that I will firm them.

Well, try not to worry about it tonight and speak with them in the morning. Good luck.:smile:
Reply 8
Maybe putting them as your firm and then asking them to lower the requirements is in your favour? Now they know you definitely want to go to their uni, so much so you've put it as your firm, they may be more willing to make an exception. Good luck!
Reply 9
rosieee91
Maybe putting them as your firm and then asking them to lower the requirements is in your favour? Now they know you definitely want to go to their uni, so much so you've put it as your firm, they may be more willing to make an exception. Good luck!

Yeah that's what I was planning, but I was wondering if UCAS has some rule against that. Like universities are not allowed to lower their offers once the student has firmed them.
In what way is it down to illness, that's the biggest pile of **** i've ever heard lol. How do you know you're going to be ill in the summer?
Reply 11
Well, just call them first, express your desire to join the university, and ask them to reduce the offer :smile:

I wish you luck :smile:
Reply 12
artemisa

Thanks.
The more likely scenario is that if you were to miss your offer (as long as it's not by miles) they'll take you anyway, provided that they had been made aware of the issues that were affecting your performance before the results are published. But there's nothing to stop you from asking them to reduce your offer at this stage.

Just to add that there's no need to rush into making your firm/insurance choices; indeed it's generally a good idea not to.
Reply 13
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
In what way is it down to illness, that's the biggest pile of **** i've ever heard lol. How do you know you're going to be ill in the summer?

Exams in January, troll.

Does everyone think that I should call them before or after I make them my firm?
Reply 14
artemisa
Exams in January, troll.

Does everyone think that I should call them before or after I make them my firm?

Before, is better. Cause if you call after you make it firm, and for some reason they don't lower it, you are 'stuck' with it.

So yea.
artemisa
Exams in January, troll.

erm so? there's something called resits that are available in A2. How do you know you're going to be ill in summer when you can resit them? If it was all down to january exams the unis would give you offers that have to be met by march -.- What a great way to get into a uni, use being ill as an excuse in january, get offer reduced to ABB or something and then get AAA in the summer because you are in perfect health -.-
Reply 16
It is allowed by UCAS.

(You get a notification informing you of a change)
If you're ill in Jan, just retake in the Summer.
I had chickenpox! :p:

Is it a disability, or just a temporary thing?
Jess
QuantumTheory
If you're ill in Jan, just retake in the Summer.
I had chickenpox! :p:

Is it a disability, or just a temporary thing?
Jess

I'm guessing OP had the sniffles and so somehow thinks that it's going to affect her performance in the summer when she's going to be healthy -.- Biggest pile of ******** i've ever heard lol, lower my offer because i was ill in january although it doesn't affect my final grade

Latest

Trending

Trending