The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 121
what a weird site you have posted. It gives teh same results all the time :rolleyes: - biased if you ask me :cool:
Is Googlefight supposed to be powered using Google itself? This site suggests a whopping disparity of Oxford maths 703,000 vs Cambridge maths 1,170,000.

Running the individual searches on Google yields the following results:
Oxford maths: 935,000
Cambridge maths: 973,000.

Not quite the same kind of trouncing....
Ooo, and just look at the battering Cambridge receives in a more general fight between "Oxford University" and "Cambridge University".

Ah, but change those to "University of Oxford" and "University of Cambridge" and Cambridge wins. Is the latter format more prevalent in the UK (where Oxford loses its advantage compared to the international stage)?
Reply 124
Try typing in "Oxford maths" and "Cambridge maths" with the quotes!

We have a winner! :smile: (modulo this being absolutely meaningless!) :rolleyes:
Reply 125
OldMan
have teachers - noone is expecting to have to teach you stuff. The lectures might inspire you to learn stuff, but most of the work is up to you

Phil23

I mean if the students work for themselves at uni, i don't see any real way of differentiating between Oxford and Cambridge - apart from direct stuff like %age of firsts or something like that.

Any views?

PK

I cannot speak for Maths, but for Genetics I'm sure lots of courses covered more or less the same areas as Cambridge did. I doubt have had the excitement of having the latest research from the LMB being an integral part of the course (stuff that would not be published for a year or so); I had four nobel prize winners lecture in my final year; only one of whom was a visiting lecturer. This sets a very special environment to study in: nevertheless, the most important learning experience was the students discussions after the lectures (often the lecturers would join in). You try your ideas - sometimes they are developed; sometimes they are rubbished - that is proper education. Also, at Oxbridge you get the chance for one to one supervisions with these world leading scientists. Incredible.

Cambridge does have a better rep for Maths, so perhaps gets the better students and maybe that of itself makes it a better place to learn. Doubt that there is that much difference though.
Reply 126

Now put quotation marks around them and look for yourself.

Question over.

Oxford Maths wins hands down.

*goes off to make another site about Oxford Maths*
Reply 127
S@sha
Now put quotation marks around them and look for yourself.

Question over.

Oxford Maths wins hands down.

*goes off to make another site about Oxford Maths*

I really wish I wasn't bored enough to be quite this childish and pathetic, but replace 'maths' in your example with its correct name: 'mathematics.' (And please, please, please no-one reply with a further counter example or I shall lose the faith I have in the rest of humanity, having long given up on myself :wink: )
Reply 128
PQ
yup - the teaching assessment reports (including the scores as well as the positive/negative aspects of each inspection) are available online at http://www.qaa.ac.uk/reviews/reports/instIndex.asp (by uni) or http://www.qaa.ac.uk/reviews/reports/subjIndex.asp by subject. Best way to read them is to scan the final section (pluses and minuses) and see which paragraphs they're referring to in the body of the report.

Cool, thanks...some of those reports are interesting, although a bit dated.

Taha
I never said that. What I said was quite the opposite. What I said was, the reason why...

OK fine, let's just leave it.

Google Fight is weird. God vs Satan: God wins with 77.4 million results, but Satan vs God: God wins with 133 million results.
Does it matter to you so much that you have to post 135 posts about it? If you did/are doing maths at Oxford, then good, if at Cambridge then good. Now get over it! Do some maths or something.
Reply 130
LennonMcCartney
Does it matter to you so much that you have to post 135 posts about it? If you did/are doing maths at Oxford, then good, if at Cambridge then good. Now get over it! Do some maths or something.

lol; i was surprised by the amount of posts in this thread too; its a hot topic! still see evidence of the traditional rivalry between the two unis:biggrin:

PK

Latest

Trending

Trending